The Pub - Discuss Anything

Manuf

Too bad, driving is one of the coolest things in life! (imo)

So is going by train. I just love that feeling of talking to other passengers I'll probably never see again in my life. And if I don't feel like talking I can simply lie in my seat and sleep and wait till I reach my station.

So is going by train. I just love that feeling of talking to other passengers I'll probably never see again in my life. And if I don't feel like talking I can simply lie in my seat and sleep and wait till I reach my station.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, What you just said makes no sense to a third world citizen...

EDIT: Even in a developed country (aka, good public transportation), there is nothing like a car. Once you get a license (you will eventually), you will remember what I said.

I can respect that as i also love meeting new people and all. But then there must be a lot of train stations becuz here in the U.S, trains are only used to get to major cities. But then again our infrastructure is SHIT! (when compared to other "leading nations")

And you live in one of the best countries to drive!

Of Course it is no Monaco nor Germany, but USA has some amazing roads...

I got into 184km/h (record). But SshHHHhh! :lol:

My boy once got to 110 MPH lmaooo He was jamming out to Rigamortis-Kendrick Lamar and said he when the fast part come on he was OFFFFF hahaha

But thats another thing ima love when i start driving a year from now,, the music. I will probably be that guy who'se always singing along to a song just because i cant contain myself. Cant wait man!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, What you just said makes no sense to a third world citizen...

EDIT: Even in a developed country (aka, good public transportation), there is nothing like a car. Once you get a license (you will eventually), you will remember what I said.

It depends. I mostly hate driving because 90% of real driving is awful. This quote by the Bogota mayor has become a meme, but I agree with the principle."A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. It's where the rich use public transportation.". I'm going to L.A. next week and there you have to drive everywhere. It's insane. In major developed cities, the public transportation should be such where nobody has to drive. The US is different as really that's only the case in New York and a couple other cities. Yes, cars give you freedom, but they also take it way. They make you spend ridiculous money on gas and insurance and maintenance. They make your lifestyle generally worse. If you can't walk to work, you can't walk to the store, and you can't walk to your friends', you will basically never walk.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

What you just said makes no sense to a third world citizen...

So?

It makes no sense for me at all to drive on my own as long as I live in this place. The public transport system in Austria, especially in the part of Austria where I live, is one of the best in the world; most of the time you only have to wait for about 5 minutes till the next bus leaves. When I start studying in Vienna in a few months' time I'll have a metro to go by at almost every time of the day. So no point at all to be driving a car.

It depends. I mostly hate driving because 90% of real driving is awful. This quote by the Bogota mayor has become a meme, but I agree with the principle."A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. It's where the rich use public transportation.". I'm going to L.A. next week and there you have to drive everywhere. It's insane. In major developed cities, the public transportation should be such where nobody has to drive. The US is different as really that's only the case in New York and a couple other cities. Yes, cars give you freedom, but they also take it way. They make you spend ridiculous money on gas and insurance and maintenance. They make your lifestyle generally worse. If you can't walk to work, you can't walk to the store, and you can't walk to your friends', you will basically never walk.

That is not true, you are mixing two different concepts there. One thing is to analyse the act of driving, whether it is good or not. The other is to analyse the need of a car...

You start by saying you dont like driving because "real driving" is boring. Well, that is your opinion and that is perfectly resonable! I am from a city where 100km of traffic is normal, but I personally dont mind because driving is actually one of my hobbies. Alright, no problem is any of the points of view.

However, you go from one point (the act of driving) to the need of driving.

I agree with the Bogota's former mayor (and he is amazing, there is even a documentary about him on Discovery Channel), he is a very smart humble dude. I also agree with everything you posted. Nevertheless, this is a whole other discussion. We would be now discussing how cities are shit planned and why they are so and also how you get "addicted" by your need for car.

Above everything else though, the people in general are just as guilty. We all get real lazy to use anyother transportation because driving is so easy. A lot of people have choice (including me) and they just decide to take the car out of the garage!

So?

It makes no sense for me at all to drive on my own as long as I live in this place. The public transport system in Austria, especially in the part of Austria where I live, is one of the best in the world; most of the time you only have to wait for about 5 minutes till the next bus leaves. When I start studying in Vienna in a few months' time I'll have a metro to go by at almost every time of the day. So no point at all to be driving a car.

What the actual fuck are you talking about? I did a joke smartass...

I know how things are in Austria and I wouldnt have a car as well, just relax and be happy!

I can respect that as i also love meeting new people and all. But then there must be a lot of train stations becuz here in the U.S, trains are only used to get to major cities. But then again our infrastructure is SHIT! (when compared to other "leading nations")

There really are! Every town has its own rail station here (well not those high in the mountains but you know what I mean).

What the actual fuck are you talking about? I did a joke smartass...

I know how things are in Austria and I wouldnt have a car as well, just relax and be happy!

You are the one reading too much into. I never meant to sound rude or aggressive to you or something like that.

There really are! Every town has its own rail station here (well not those high in the mountains but you know what I mean).

The reason our infrastructure is so bad (imo) is because these Car companies coupled with car insurance companies would loose so much money if we actually fixed our transportation system. hahaha

It depends. I mostly hate driving because 90% of real driving is awful. This quote by the Bogota mayor has become a meme, but I agree with the principle."A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. It's where the rich use public transportation.". I'm going to L.A. next week and there you have to drive everywhere. It's insane. In major developed cities, the public transportation should be such where nobody has to drive.

My point exactly on U.S transportation.

You are the one reading too much into. I never meant to sound rude or aggressive to you or something like that.

It was probably that "So?" at the beginning! :)

Things are shit in Brazil, you would be laughed at for saying what you just posted!

The reason our infrastructure is so bad (imo) is because these Car companies coupled with car insurance companies would loose so much money if we actually fixed our transportation system. hahaha

But mostly the oil companies, I think. It's quite sad to see progress being halted due to profit making of a few.

That is not true, you are mixing two different concepts there.

One thing is to analyse the act of driving, whether it is good or not. The other is to analyse the need of a car...

think most things in life are neither inherently good nor bad and driving is no exception. It has opened up the world and made people be able to travel long distances, allowed people to live outside the city and work in it and generally gave people freedom. However, it also created soulless suburbs, an insane amount of pollution, hundreds of thousands of deaths, and has lead to people living much less healthy lives. Needing a car depends on how the city is constructed. You need a car in L.A. You don't in New York. Some places, you do need a car and nobody can fault you for getting one. I just wish that more emphasis was put on public transit and urban density so that fewer people needed to drive.

think most things in life are neither inherently good nor bad and driving is no exception. It has opened up the world and made people be able to travel long distances, allowed people to live outside the city and work in it and generally gave people freedom. However, it also created soulless suburbs, an insane amount of pollution, hundreds of thousands of deaths, and has lead to people living much less healthy lives. Needing a car depends on how the city is constructed. You need a car in L.A. You don't in New York. Some places, you do need a car and nobody can fault you for getting one. I just wish that more emphasis was put on public transit and urban density so that fewer people needed to drive.

No, I am not saying if it is good or bad in general. I was talking more like a "taste", whether it is good or bad for anyone personally. Understand?

I agree with you, but I think people are to blame as well. I will talk about me, because I cant judge anyone else...

I live in a city with 68km of tube (140km by 2015). Paris and London (who arent even 30% as big) have 200km+. You think can see you cant go everywhere using public transportation! However, there are a lot of people who have access to great (really great) public systems and just dont use it: I live 2-3 blocks away from the nearest station and my university has a station INSIDE (I dont mean close) the campus. Ask me how many times in the week I use it to go to USP?

Many problems are not just the government's fault, people are to blame as well. It is just easier, cooler and more comfortable to take the car out of the garage...

(I edited my previous post)

Why is this generation so fucked up? Honestly, how the fuck have we gone so downhill since? Music has become shittier to the highest degree, where songs like, "I'm on that good kush and Alcohol" or anything Nicki Minaj creates, is the number one song in the world week in and week out? I personally find Rihanna high and vastly overrated and Eminem is the only true rapper left out there.

Now the Media, how in the holy mother of fuck, does Jersey Shore air for 7 seasons, and shows that actually matter like, "The Buried Life", and "World of Jenks" only air for 2 seasons before getting fucking cancelled.Keeping up with the Kardashians, The Real world, Now they are making shows with high demand like "Buckwild" which is about a southern cast similar to jersey shore about a bunch of rednecks partying and inbreeding I'm drunk as shit but fuck it this has been pissing me off for years. Fuck this generation of media and fuck everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRexWE9yBVA

FUck bring back the shows that make a fucking difference.

I agree, when i get my license SHIT WILL GO DOWN!

CAR=Freedom. I absolutely hate asking my parents for rides to places becuz then they have to look at the scenery and if its a party they wanna know the parents and who'se gonna be there and shit like that. Annoying as Fuck man.

Suck it up. I have no one to drive me anywhere. I have to either pay for a cab, pay for public transport, walk or a ride my pushbike.