Nathaniel Chalobah

Clevemayer

And pray tell me why exactly does not jose see a future for him in the DM role? Simple cos he is not good enough.

Pre season is about FITNESS of the players. Producing what's been practised in the training. The only reason we are playing these youth players is cos we dint have many first teaners around. Its BARELY about a chance cos believe me, jose's mind would have been nade up long before the pre season started about what his squad would have been. Dont think a couple of friendlies would change him. Take zouma for example. He has been poor in the last 2 ganes but I am willing to put everything on a bet that he is a chelsea player regardless of what happens in the pre season.

Well I actually agree with you that i'm not sure Chalobah is good enough. But he deserves another loan to try and prove himself, if nothing else because of the potential he showed at Watford. I guess you can look at pre season in either of our ways, but like someone can play themselves into or out of a team during the season, players can play themselves into or out of the team during pre season too. For instance, I think Boga may well get some cup game time his season if he sticks around with the U21s, it'll give us a chance to rest Hazard or Oscar which we didn't have the luxury of doing last season. I do think Jose's mind would have been mostly made up, but he still has choice to make - Fabregas or Oscar at no.10? Willian or Schurrle opposite Hazard? MVG, Fabregas or Ramires at CM? Romeu, Mikel or Chalobah as reserve DM? Zouma good enough for 3rd CB or do we need to sign another? Azpi or Ivan at RB? Cech or Courtois in goal? Bertrand or Ake as reserve LB? Loan Boga or keep him in the U21s with the odd cup game?

We might have our own opinions on answers to these questions but I think the pre season is a good time for Mourinho to objectively make his decisions, and let's be honest, they're the ones that matter.

Going on loan again. Shame because he's a massive talent but obviously the club don't think he's ready. Hoping he doesn't turn into our Pogba, the one that got away.

He is a massive talent but there's no point in making him stay and play with the reserves...

Assuming Mikel and Romeu stay, there's no space for him in midfield

I get the feeling he may end up like Jack Cork (sold for 500k to a Championship club) and ends up having a solid PL career

He is a massive talent but there's no point in making him stay and play with the reserves...

Assuming Mikel and Romeu stay, there's no space for him in midfield

I get the feeling he may end up like Jack Cork (sold for 500k to a Championship club) and ends up having a solid PL career

I do agree with the first bit. The guy needs to start looking at his own career and really start making his mark but it needs to be at the right club.

It is somewhat irksome that the unflushable Mikel is still going to be on the payroll next year purely because no team who could potentially pay his wages would waste that much money on him. Romeu could kick on but needs to be tested against better opposition.

Nat's problem is that he has Loftus-Cheek coming through as well now who is a similar type of player with just as much potential, and Van Ginkel just ahead of him. On the one hand it's a nice problem to have but it's just one more kick in the bollocks for anyone who bothers to take an interest in the youth teams.

I think this is the start of the slow realisation that Chalobah isn't good enough and/or won't be a Chelsea player in 2-3 years time.

I think it's more that he'll be a victim of circumstance in much the same way Matic and Pogba were. Then it's up to him to make the most of whatever opportunities he gets after that.

I think it's more that he'll be a victim of circumstance in much the same way Matic and Pogba were. Then it's up to him to make the most of whatever opportunities he gets after that.

Circumstances being that a) the manager seemingly isn't a fan and b ) we have better players/prospects around his age in both defence and midfield.

The Jack Cork comments made earlier makes sense, wouldn't surprise me if his career pans out in similar fashion.

The difference between Chalobah and Pogba is the latter always seemed to have that 'edge' to his game, played with a chip on his shoulder

Chalobah is a quality talent...but due to the likes of Aké, RLC, even Baker progressing through the youth ranks, his chances of making it at Chelsea are becoming increasingly slim

It's interesting when you think about it...a few years ago, McEachran and Chalobah were two of the most promising talents in England...now due to poor loan spells, they could be heading for the exit door sooner rather than later :cry:

I think he's better CB than Zouma definitely...but he'll be sold eventualy...

He is a better ball playing defender, that is it. Zouma is better at almost everything else. You can't really come to conclusions like that when Zouma has been playing for a decent team in France top tier for around 3 seasons and Chalobah has played CB rarely. Mainly in friendlies. Out on loan he has figured in midfield.

On what basis is he better?....

Zouma is still really raw...he is poor on the ball. I know he's great in the air, and is hard tackler but it's just that I like chalobah style of play better.. better tehnique, good on the ball, can be creative from the back...it's my opinion, you don't have to agree.

The difference between Chalobah and Pogba is the latter always seemed to have that 'edge' to his game, played with a chip on his shoulder

They're very similar players. Pogba wasn't given a chance, left and proved himself at the next club. I wouldn't be surprised if the same happened to Nat.

Different players in different positions who offer different things.

baker was used as a CAM by jose but i would say that was cos of our lack of options upfront with none of oscar, willian, hazard available.

right now we have 4 places done for the CM/DM spots (cesc, matic, rambo, mvg). we have the option of romeu and mikel. if we choose nat over them, it will solely be cos of HG. would rather take baker if thats the case.

A loan is absolutely the right thing. He is coming off of a poor to mixed season in the Championship (after a great one). He's not ready (the jump to the Premier League is a massive one even for more polished, more experiences, and more accomplished players) and we don't have enough game time to give him to develop. We have Fabergas, Matic, Ramires, Van Ginkel, Romeu, and Mikel all ahead of him for 2 positions in midfield and Terry, Cahill, Ivanovic, and Zouma ahead of him for 2 positions in central defense. (and no, getting rid of Mikel wouldn't suddenly give Chalobah playing time.) I'd ideally love to see him on a lower Premier League team where he'd get minutes (Burnley?), but there aren't many of those and I think back to the Championship is a little more likely.