Yuri Zhirkov

DavidEU

I think we should keep him. He is a very versatile player. AVB plans with him, i think. I know being used in pre-season doesn´t mean the world but AVB seems not to be the kind of guy jumping the gun and say "oh yeah, Zhirkov ? 13 million ? have him !" after playing him that much.

Guest justin_3d

I still can't believe we paid £18m for him, one of the most illogical signings of the Roman era.

Because Guus recommended him....

Anyways if we sell him and can get a new winger it will not be bad.

Mata, Arda are just a few out there.

I still can't believe we paid £18m for him, one of the most illogical signings of the Roman era.

I think it was after Euros, he was very good there and most big clubs wanted him... his price was high thanks to euros performances.

This is a good deal for Chelsea imo... 15m for a player who hardly did anything here, and we also get one more free slot for a non homegrown player.

But why did he did nothing with Chelsea ? He wasn't Carlo's recruit but Hiddink's, Carlo has never regarded him as a first choice but as a player he was simply happy to have in his squad after injuries..

Zhirkov has always played as a second choice, because Lamps or Cole were injured, never as a first choice... Malouda was one of the untouchables of Carlo, he was never injured so Zhrikov did never play on the left wing and it's shaming.

He has great quality in box to box, in left back and left winger. His only problems were his injuries issues, his knee problem who was never really resolved... And he said that it wasn't any communication with the medical staff during the season...

This season Bryan English did shit with Drogba, Alex, Zhirkov, Mikel, Essien... Some people can say that he merely suffer the mismanagement, the board who decided to reduce the squad etc...

Zhirkov looked so sharp and confident, spontaneous in pre-season. I'm really disappointed to see him go, it's not a matter of money, he is going to earn the same wages (80k week) but without as much tax as in England... This season he had everything to do in Premierleague, now Malouda is become a kind of false winger, false central MF...

Chelsea chief executive Ron Gourlay is not anticipating any player sales, but revealed some of the club's promising youngsters could go out on loan.

31/07/2011

Chelsea defender Yuri Zhirkov has travelled to Russia amid reports he is set to sign for Anzhi Makhachkala.

01/08/2011

:Goober:? I hate Ron Gourlay.

June: we need a playmaker, winger(s) and probably a right back

July: nothing happens, lots and lots of speculation, pre-season tour, torres scores twice, Gourlay says we won't be "much more" active on the market anymore (as if we were at any point)

August: we sell Zhirkov.

Typical Chelsea transfer window, we need new players but we end up selling 3 youth players, signing 2 youth whilist loaning one of them out and selling a senior team player. Problem solved!.. o wait.

£13m

Wow.. Great bit of business.

Never thought we'd manage to get rid of him for over £6m tbh, we overpaid in the first place.

skysports even says £15m (http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_7076458,00.html). Nice amount of money.