Chelsea 2-0 Sheff Utd

James

Was unable to catch the game live and but watched the full game. 

What I saw - and I know it’s only Sheffield United - but this was our BEST performance this whole season. Better than the Man City and Tottenham games. It’s like the gaps I pointed out - not rocket science - was heeded and addressed. There was more intensity and proactivity in the defense and the tackle. Some imprecise and erratic offensive play but far more positive - pass and move - than all other games. The players played with more freedom - even Caicedo who had hardly ventured past the half way line all season was getting to the byline and putting in a few crosses. All this was evident even in the scoreless first half. It was no surprise the game was won rather comfortably. I do not understand some game-time comments here.

Sheffield smelt blood and came to press us and make life difficult. We fought back and subdued them in the first half. Our goals was only a matter of when.

The players are low on confidence right now but by the time there are a few games of performing this way and more likely to pick up wins - the team would become better.

Let us see if this game was a one off. I would hope not but think it would not be.

I also want to say a word about Conor Gallagher. Not since Frank Lampard - and Frank doesn’t compare - have I seen, in real time, a vast improvement in a player’s talent level - even evident in our bad stage. He must be an exceptionally hard worker. If he carries on this trajectory, he is going to be the current symbol of the club - our new JT.

Edited by Chuckso

Boehly and co. are here for the long run, they not going away at least for the next 10 years maybe for life so it's no point in turning against them, they have a spent a huge amount,  billions into the club and still counting so they want the best for the club even though they going about it the wrong way as far as on field matters are concerned. We can only hope they learn from their mistakes and everything comes together to an acceptable degree. 

Edited by Bluepower777

8 hours ago, Chuckso said:

Was unable to catch the game live and but watched the full game. 

What I saw - and I know it’s only Sheffield United - but this was our BEST performance this whole season. Better than the Man City and Tottenham games. It’s like the gaps I pointed out - not rocket science - was heeded and addressed. There was more intensity and proactivity in the defense and the tackle. Some imprecise and erratic offensive play but far more positive - pass and move - than all other games. The players played with more freedom - even Caicedo who had hardly ventured past the half way line all season was getting to the byline and putting in a few crosses. All this was evident even in the scoreless first half. It was no surprise the game was won rather comfortably. I do not understand some game-time comments here.

Sheffield smelt blood and came to press us and make life difficult. We fought back and subdued them in the first half. Our goals was only a matter of when.

The players are low on confidence right now but by the time there are a few games of performing this way and more likely to pick up wins - the team would become better.

Let us see if this game was a one off. I would hope not but think it would not be.

I also want to say a word about Conor Gallagher. Not since Frank Lampard - and Frank doesn’t compare - have I seen, in real time, a vast improvement in a player’s talent level - even evident in our bad stage. He must be an exceptionally hard worker. If he carries on this trajectory, he is going to be the current symbol of the club - our new JT.

Hm.

I think our best performance was against Arsenal- before Sanchez had his brain fart and we ended up drawing the match.

Yesterday's game was okay-ish., IMO. Thankfully Cole Palmer and Raheem upped the ante when it mattered, else it would have ended up another insipid match of missed chances. Which has happened too many times against defensive opposition.

Edited by Blue Armour

2 hours ago, Blue Armour said:

Hm.

I think our best performance was against Arsenal- before Sanchez had his brain fart and we ended up drawing the match.

Yesterday's game was okay-ish., IMO. Thankfully Cole Palmer and Raheem upped the ante when it mattered, else it would have ended up another insipid match of missed chances. Which has happened too many times against defensive opposition.

I disagree.

I was actually embarrassed by the Arsenal set up. Go watch the game again - we were AT HOME and played like the away team - how minnows used to come to the Bridge to play. We got goals but that displayed our inferiority stance, lack of confidence and fearful of Arsenal. I think that game counts as one of our worst game of the season just because - no joke.  Even the ManCity and Tottenham game we came out to play toe to toe - not the Arsenal game. 

Such games also take a psychological toll on the players because it tells them they do not have what it takes to compete with what is supposed to be their equals. I remember during Frank 1.0, Frank came in playing with an attacking philosophy but defensive disorganization. We were getting some good results with iffy performances. The game against ManCity where Frank told the team to abandon its carefree attacking verve and concentrate almost exclusively on defense in that game because he was scared of what Mancity would do to us. We lost that game and THE VERY NEXT GAME we carried on the lack of belief -  losing the positive attacking verve we had previously shown - into the rest of the games and the results followed. Go do a check of our points per game before and after the Mancity game to see. The players did not believe Frank had belief in them and the season completely collapsed thereafter. 

With yesterday’s game no individual pulled us up. It was a team effort for the first time in a long while. If we play like this the next 2 - 3 games - I can declare we have turned the corner. That it took half a season to do so that is for the management of the club to ask the manager. 

Edited by Chuckso

1 hour ago, Chuckso said:

I disagree.

I was actually embarrassed by the Arsenal set up. Go watch the game again - we were AT HOME and played like the away team - how minnows used to come to the Bridge to play. We got goals but that displayed our inferiority stance, lack of confidence and fearful of Arsenal. I think that game counts as one of our worst game of the season just because - no joke.  Even the ManCity and Tottenham game we came out to play toe to toe - not the Arsenal game. 

Such games also take a psychological toll on the players because it tells them they do not have what it takes to compete with what is supposed to be their equals. I remember during Frank 1.0, Frank came in playing with an attacking philosophy but defensive disorganization. We were getting some good results with iffy performances. The game against ManCity where Frank told the team to abandon its carefree attacking verve and concentrate almost exclusively on defense in that game because he was scared of what Mancity would do to us. We lost that game and THE VERY NEXT GAME we carried on the lack of belief -  losing the positive attacking verve we had previously shown - into the rest of the games and the results followed. Go do a check of our points per game before and after the Mancity game to see. The players did not believe Frank had belief in them and the season completely collapsed thereafter. 

With yesterday’s game no individual pulled us up. It was a team effort for the first time in a long while. If we play like this the next 2 - 3 games - I can declare we have turned the corner. That it took half a season to do so that is for the management of the club to ask the manager. 

We thoroughly outplayed them , would have been epic Performance if Sánchez wasn’t a clown

20 hours ago, Blue Armour said:

As opposed to playing when?

Might as well wrap Nkunku up in wool and not make him play a single minute for the rest of the season., in that case.

If a player is fit to be in the matchday squad, he is more or less fit to play.

21 hours ago, nyikolajevics said:

He didn’t turn is down, we backed up our bid as Palace pointed out our illegal approach.

He did turn us down.

Michael Olise turns down Chelsea and signs new four-year Crystal Palace deal

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/aug/17/michael-olise-turns-down-Chelsea-and-signs-new-crystal-palace-deal