Chelsea 2-2 Arsenal

James

On 22/10/2023 at 12:29, Mhsc said:

Absolutely gutted we couldn't see it through. Based on what we saw they don't have a chance in hell at the title. Improvement in the team has been good and have the feeling we will trend towards top 4 as the season progresses.

We will have to put quite a run together to get top 4 now. We're currently 8 points off with a quarter of the season gone and we had a really soft start, our next 7 games will probably require us to get at least 5 wins but that run includes Brentford (h), Spuds (a) Man City (h), Newcastle (a), Brighton (h), Utd (a), Everton (a). That run is pretty horrific, we haven't won at OT for years, Newcastle and Everton away are both bogey grounds, Brentford and Brighton are very canny types of teams who know how to grind results in the league, whilst Spurs are on a good run. Personally, I think we have quite a bit to do already. 

That aside, I am also happy with the progress, especially from what we saw last season but we're still a very green team imo. Any half mature side would've beaten the Arse at home with the way we played, whilst also getting a point out of Forest and Villa. The West Ham game can happen to any team so, not holding that one agaist the side. However, this also makes me think we could play most of the teams we play in the next seven games off the park and end up with 6 points or something ridiculous by drawing all of them - bar City who I suspect will be ruthless with us. 

27 minutes ago, Mário César said:

this draw still hurts 

could be our game change of the season

I don't believe that tbh. I believe in a process, and the team playing better, and consistently, will bring results in the long run. Arsenal would have remained the better team regardless of the final score. We will likely lose there, like most other teams.

This team will struggle in some away games esp due to inexperience. They will misfire in some home game, also due to players finding their game in the league. This will take place regardless of whether our goalie makes a mistake to let Arsenal back in the game or not. It's just part of the package of the squad the club has built.

The performance, esp tactics, was very encouraging. It's good to have a manager who can come up with a working strategy to contain a better side, AND have players behind him to execute that.

Still...yes, Sanchez is a concern... was a concern before, and is a concern now after we've seen him play for a bit.

29 minutes ago, robsblubot said:

I don't believe that tbh. I believe in a process, and the team playing better, and consistently, will bring results in the long run. Arsenal would have remained the better team regardless of the final score. We will likely lose there, like most other teams.

This team will struggle in some away games esp due to inexperience. They will misfire in some home game, also due to players finding their game in the league. This will take place regardless of whether our goalie makes a mistake to let Arsenal back in the game or not. It's just part of the package of the squad the club has built.

The performance, esp tactics, was very encouraging. It's good to have a manager who can come up with a working strategy to contain a better side, AND have players behind him to execute that.

Still...yes, Sanchez is a concern... was a concern before, and is a concern now after we've seen him play for a bit.

our performances are growing game after game. I think we will be ok in this tough fixtures 

well, when nkunku came back from injury?

9 minutes ago, Mário César said:

our performances are growing game after game. I think we will be ok in this tough fixtures 

well, when nkunku came back from injury?

Would put my money that performances will vary quite a bit until the end of the season. It's just a new squad with young players new to the league. History shows us that it takes more than a season to build a team.

I get you point about raising the confidence (with a big win), and it might indeed have helped short term, but like I said, don't think it will matter much later. It's a long season and injuries, tiredness, form, will all vary. Other teams (and their managers) start adapting to what you do esp if it works.

23 minutes ago, robsblubot said:

Would put my money that performances will vary quite a bit until the end of the season. It's just a new squad with young players new to the league. History shows us that it takes more than a season to build a team.

I get you point about raising the confidence (with a big win), and it might indeed have helped short term, but like I said, don't think it will matter much later. It's a long season and injuries, tiredness, form, will all vary. Other teams (and their managers) start adapting to what you do esp if it works.

are you confident for our next 3/4 games?

5 minutes ago, Mário César said:

Brentford, Spurs, City, Newcastle, then Brighton and United. 

Will be interesting to see how Poch sets up for these games, particularly Spurs as they are flying at the moment. 

9 minutes ago, Mário César said:

results? nope.

Brentford is a must win, and we should definitely go for the 3 points against Brighton esp at home. Newcastle away will be a tough one and it's likely they will find a way to beat us. City @ bridge will be similar to Arsenal, but harder.

I don't expect a lot from this squad tbh.

19 hours ago, robsblubot said:

I don't expect a lot from this squad tbh.

realized I sounded like a Debbie Downer above, so just a small correction for posterity:

It's not that I think the team is shit or anything like that, but that the type of signings the club did define the goal and ambition the club has, which  evidently does not target this particular season.

So, we will be watching which player responds well to adversities, which player improves during the season, who can remain healthy in a pretty tough league like the PL. I just think this squad is the first iteration of something they are building, which is not going to be the final product regardless of immediate results.

Young players who start delivering the goods will eventually get targeted, tightly marked, and as result drop form, and may even get knocks too. Knocks come from good tackles too esp in very competitive leagues like the PL. It's going to be interesting what the club does in Jan, if anything. 

11 minutes ago, Fulham Broadway said:

Chelsea goalkeeping coach Toni Jimenez was apparently going mad at Robert Sanchez in the second half just before his howler.

He started the Sanchez-hate before it became mainstream.

I don’t really understand in general why managers forcing keepers to pass and build up attack with short passes, even with 2-0. 

According to the stats this was the 6th time he made pass to our opponent within 35 metres. I understand there is risk in this goalkeeping style but this is too much risk. Joao Pedro and Mac Allister could have scored similar goals.

1 hour ago, nyikolajevics said:

He started the Sanchez-hate before it became mainstream.

I don’t really understand in general why managers forcing keepers to pass and build up attack with short passes, even with 2-0. 

According to the stats this was the 6th time he made pass to our opponent within 35 metres. I understand there is risk in this goalkeeping style but this is too much risk. Joao Pedro and Mac Allister could have scored similar goals.

Reckon it's both about building from the back and also defend by preventing the opposition from having the ball. Several teams are set up to press super high and aggressively (City and Arsenal to name 2). If you don't keep the ball and break their high press, that will limit the amount of attacking you will be doing.

There are ways to counteract that, but they typically work in very specific situations. I'd suggest that the system Arsenal and City use is the better system for long championships without a doubt in my mind. They are just more effective long term esp against the weaker sides.

our first eleven is a stronger one 

sanchez ( : \ ) 

reece - thiago - lewill - cucu

enzo - caicedo - gallagher 

palmer - nkunku

jackson

if we play 4x3x3 this is not a bad line up, unless our goalkeeper and striker 

we can play nkunku in jackson play and play with sterling as a right winger

anyway, this is not a bad line up. sad that nkunku is off for a while 

4 hours ago, Mário César said:

our first eleven is a stronger one 

sanchez ( : \ ) 

reece - thiago - lewill - cucu

enzo - caicedo - gallagher 

palmer - nkunku

jackson

if we play 4x3x3 this is not a bad line up, unless our goalkeeper and striker 

we can play nkunku in jackson play and play with sterling as a right winger

anyway, this is not a bad line up. sad that nkunku is off for a while 

I think Chilwell when fit will take that place. 

Thiago.....need to face out. 

Gallagher I love but I have a feeling Lavia might come better. 

19 minutes ago, Fernando said:

I think Chilwell when fit will take that place. 

Thiago.....need to face out. 

Gallagher I love but I have a feeling Lavia might come better. 

even if we line up with 5x3x2 our time is not bad

we only need a newgoalkeeper, another winger and another center forward

next year with thiago lefting the club we may need another player, but lets see how fofana situation will be fixed 

is not a bad team, tbh. our problem are our absurd number of injuries 

23 hours ago, Mário César said:

even if we line up with 5x3x2 our time is not bad

we only need a newgoalkeeper, another winger and another center forward

next year with thiago lefting the club we may need another player, but lets see how fofana situation will be fixed 

is not a bad team, tbh. our problem are our absurd number of injuries 

Well we need a reboot and that's what happen last year. But also needed a manager that was good with young players and play good futbol. 

Before I was a big fan of Bielsa because he does that, he was good with bringing a very good brand of futbol and improve players....but he was too crazy. 

Pochetino was like a manager that came from that school but he was good with young players as saw in Tottenham and Southampton. So he was like the best candidate available at the moment and I'm glad we got him. 

1 hour ago, Fernando said:

Well we need a reboot and that's what happen last year. But also needed a manager that was good with young players and play good futbol. 

Before I was a big fan of Bielsa because he does that, he was good with bringing a very good brand of futbol and improve players....but he was too crazy. 

Pochetino was like a manager that came from that school but he was good with young players as saw in Tottenham and Southampton. So he was like the best candidate available at the moment and I'm glad we got him. 

unless nottingham game, I think our performances aren't so bad 

our problem was small things against us like enzo missed penalty and gusto red card 

overall Im glad with our performances, specially in this last 4 matches. our team improved in the last matches and we did a good response against arsenal 

we need nkunku back asap