Chelsea 1-1 Newcastle

1 minute ago, NikkiCFC said:

We did not see Maatsen defensively. He is winger for Poch. First left now right.

Considering the players we’re linked with I’m not sure that’s the long term thinking. Think Poch is just trialing him everywhere to get a good look at him. He was brilliant as a fullback for Burnley.

I played left back through most of youth football, and Cucurella, from a defensive viewpoint, makes me tear my hair out.

His positional discipline and lack of awareness is depressing to watch. Newcastle have targeted that side all game because he gets sucked in far too centrally instead of passing runners off to Humphreys. If he's not doing that he's caught ball watching. If he's not doing that then he chases obvious lost causes to leave him out of position.

That goal was coming since the first few minutes and if Poch considers him to be the first alternative to Chilwell next season then I think we're in massive trouble if he ends up with regular gametime.