The Next Manager?

I find the way Pep’s City play incredibly boring with their walk the ball around the pitch with 1000 passes style.

But I’d take that any day of the week as long as we can perfect it like they have. Being able to completely dominate the ball and own most of the pitch territorially is how you stop small clubs like the ones we’ve struggled against for years from pulling shocking upsets against you. You can completely demoralize and wear down your opponent if they barely get a kick as we’ve seen from City for years now. We were halfway there under Sarri but were blunt up top. So obviously we’ll need a clinical new forward to make it work this time.

I’d much rather us play like this even if it’s kinda boring than the way we’ve been playing where you can’t even depend on how we’ll look from match to match. The issue is whether Maresca can implement this style over the course of the preseason and if our players can take to it immediately. 

Thankfully, we’ve got a squad of players who are highly technical and should be able to quickly adapt. Except for keeper, that is. 

I'm done with caring who they appoint or choose, they will be sacked/let go and the nearest opportunity. They are looking for someone as close to Pep as possible both in style and looks by the looks of things.

The merry go round continues and is quite frankly boring and pathetic. I don't trust any of the cunts upstairs at this club and think them too cunts Winstanley and Stewart are a pair of absolute frauds.

It's just all very sad.

42 minutes ago, Pizy said:

I find the way Pep’s City play incredibly boring with their walk the ball around the pitch with 1000 passes style.

But I’d take that any day of the week as long as we can perfect it like they have. Being able to completely dominate the ball and own most of the pitch territorially is how you stop small clubs like the ones we’ve struggled against for years from pulling shocking upsets against you. You can completely demoralize and wear down your opponent if they barely get a kick as we’ve seen from City for years now. We were halfway there under Sarri but were blunt up top. So obviously we’ll need a clinical new forward to make it work this time.

I’d much rather us play like this even if it’s kinda boring than the way we’ve been playing where you can’t even depend on how we’ll look from match to match. The issue is whether Maresca can implement this style over the course of the preseason and if our players can take to it immediately. 

Thankfully, we’ve got a squad of players who are highly technical and should be able to quickly adapt. Except for keeper, that is. 

They are doing it effectively.
When we had Lamps, before Tuchel, we were doing it terribly - endless passes without purpose then hit a brick wall.
People were also accusing pool of the Keegan years of being typically British and shoot balls into the air - but the european cups were going to Enfield.

3 hours ago, manpe said:

It's like watching Chelsea from a bit of time ago, eerily similar unimaginative U-style football. How many times have been successful playing this type of static possession snoozefest? Zero... Sure you score once in a while like in that video, but more often than not it's just a waste of time, we have seen that time and time again. Our successes have come from when we start attacking the box vertically, quickly and with intent.

I know nothing about Maresca, but I hope he's at least flexible enough that he can play counter-attacks too when that's appropriate. If he's a one trick pony that tells the players to only play out from the back and retain possession at all costs, then he's gonna fail quickly.

To attack vertically-quickly and with intent somebody has to create empty spaces.
Or the opposition are in some desperate situation and all of them have moved into your half and you escape.
Has to be a combination of passing ball and running off the ball to create those spaces.
It goes without saying that if Maresca ball is a retrograde step to Lamps ball then it's useless.

1 hour ago, Pizy said:

Personally, I don't think we have the players to actually play that style of football on a consistent basis.   Caicedo - Enzo with Gallagher (or whoever the replacement is going to be if he's being sold to meet FFP) seems way more suited to counter attacking.

We also don't have 'cheat codes' like Pep who can call upon Rodri/Dias/Gvardiol, KDB/Foden/Alvarez/Haaland in attack...

1 hour ago, Pizy said:

We were halfway there under Sarri but were blunt up top. So obviously we’ll need a clinical new forward to make it work this time.

We also had Jorginho running Sarri's possession style system....with Kante alongside him.  Both were class acts. 

Both players were far, far ahead of what we have in the midfield now, especially as we still don't know how the injuries will affect Lavia moving forward. 

17 minutes ago, Laylabelle said:

Find it intresting/bit worrying the comments from Leicester fans don't seem to be sad he is leaving more wtf are Chelsea doing.. fun times ahead.

I saw a bit of that as well...I get the hype around the Leicester manager (being part of Pep's coaching staff will always bring hype) but I don't think he's the solution. 

For me, it's De Zerbi, he's coached in multiple leagues and even kept Brighton in a decent state (considering the injuries and his 2 key mids leaving).   I feel like he's more than ready to keep us as a top 6 side (I don't see us becoming top 4 next season) and he may be able to help the likes of Mudryk pick up some decent form. 

17 minutes ago, Reddish-Blue said:

Personally, I don't think we have the players to actually play that style of football on a consistent basis.   Caicedo - Enzo with Gallagher (or whoever the replacement is going to be if he's being sold to meet FFP) seems way more suited to counter attacking.

We also don't have 'cheat codes' like Pep who can call upon Rodri/Dias/Gvardiol, KDB/Foden/Alvarez/Haaland in attack...

We also had Jorginho running Sarri's possession style system....with Kante alongside him.  Both were class acts. 

Both players were far, far ahead of what we have in the midfield now, especially as we still don't know how the injuries will affect Lavia moving forward. 

I can see Lavia being the lone DM sitting deep in a 3 man midfield with Enzo and Caicedo being the roaming #8’s that go box to box that people are saying Maresca likes. We know Caicedo can play well in a Pep-like system since he crushed it at Brighton under De Zerbi. Enzo is super technical too so should have no problem. 

Lavia will definitely be the wildcard but the guy is only 20 years old. His body should be able to get over the injuries after such a long period out and rehabbing. I have faith it isn’t a Fofana type of injury with a knee that’s always going to haunt him. It was more of a muscle issue with him, right? I can’t imagine he’s just a permanent crock.

48 minutes ago, Laylabelle said:

Find it intresting/bit worrying the comments from Leicester fans don't seem to be sad he is leaving more wtf are Chelsea doing.. fun times ahead.

I am not reading anything into this - Leicester do not have the squad to really play the style effectively, and they were worried that they would not be able to survive in the Premier League playing that style of football against a better quality of footballer. They want someone pragmatic that will play on the counter, or sit deep and park the bus, if it is a way to steal a result against a top 10 club.

I understand their point and agree. Clearly you need money and time to make the style work and dominate. We have both and they have neither.

Maresca's promise to Chelsea

According to the

Standard

, Maresca impressed the Chelsea hierarchy with his plans for the club, most notably how to properly utilise Enzo Fernandez, a favourite of owner Todd Boehly. Fernandez's form was up and down in 2023/24, but Maresca believes he has the right formula to get the best out of the Argentine and is prepared to mould the team around the player.

Furthermore, Chelsea are impressed by Maresca's approach to playing the game and believes it matches the talent available to him at Stamford Bridge. He likes to play in either a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 formation which is what the club deployed this past season under Pochettino.

He likes his full-backs inverted, so the likes of Reece James and Ben Chilwell may see their roles change slightly if fit and available.

26 minutes ago, Special Juan said:

I will say it now and said it last season we need a clinical number 9, if we dodge this again we deserve every thing we fucking get

Was n't Nkunku supposed to be the clinical number 9 ?
He was injured but do you thing this has died ?