Joao Felix

ZAPHOD2319

47 minutes ago, NikkiCFC said:

Two generational talents...

While Kai has been poor of late, I've seen much more from him.

Honestly, perhaps the first good 90min I see from Felix will happen while he's wearing blue. 🤞

Not too excited about him.. I feel he is a luxury player. Would do fine at City or PSG, but I don't really see how he will help us. 

I seldom torture myself with Atleti games, but seen Felix play lots of times, even catched him live two times, haven't seen much impressive things from him.. If he wasn't signed for 120 million at the age of 19, perhaps he wouldn't be rated as highly. But let's see. 

3 hours ago, nyikolajevics said:

Not too excited about him.. I feel he is a luxury player. Would do fine at City or PSG, but I don't really see how he will help us. 

I seldom torture myself with Atleti games, but seen Felix play lots of times, even catched him live two times, haven't seen much impressive things from him.. If he wasn't signed for 120 million at the age of 19, perhaps he wouldn't be rated as highly. But let's see. 

If he had not scored those 2 crazy goals vs bayer and not make that 120m move, we would never have signed bc no one would give shit about him. He is one of those players like James Rodriguez or Coutinho who has built an entire career on a short string of decent games but in fact is an incredibly frustrating, limited and ultimately average player. 

10 hours ago, Magic Lamps said:

If he had not scored those 2 crazy goals vs bayer and not make that 120m move, we would never have signed bc no one would give shit about him. He is one of those players like James Rodriguez or Coutinho who has built an entire career on a short string of decent games but in fact is an incredibly frustrating, limited and ultimately average player. 

I wouldn't say Rodriguez or Coutinho were average because both were incredibly talented. It's more like football overall has just changed a lot in the last 10 years or so, and as a result players like them have no place in the game today. Talent alone is not enough if their best position/role doesn't even exist in the modern game.

A traditional number 10 with a free role is very rarely used by the top teams these days. I'm sure players like Rodriguez and Coutinho would have been classified as much better players had they begun their careers in the 90s or even the early 2000s but they're not suited to teams that require high pressing from all players which seems to be the way most top sides play now. Players like that could still thrive if the rest of the team is built to hide their weaknesses and maximize their strengths but why would anyone want to do that when there are easier ways to success?

Felix and Havertz are both similarly problematic players to fit in.

3 hours ago, Jype said:

I wouldn't say Rodriguez or Coutinho were average because both were incredibly talented. It's more like football overall has just changed a lot in the last 10 years or so, and as a result players like them have no place in the game today. Talent alone is not enough if their best position/role doesn't even exist in the modern game.

A traditional number 10 with a free role is very rarely used by the top teams these days. I'm sure players like Rodriguez and Coutinho would have been classified as much better players had they begun their careers in the 90s or even the early 2000s but they're not suited to teams that require high pressing from all players which seems to be the way most top sides play now. Players like that could still thrive if the rest of the team is built to hide their weaknesses and maximize their strengths but why would anyone want to do that when there are easier ways to success?

I agree, maybe i was too harsh on their talent. Then again, I don't think they were ever good enough for a top team to be built around them.

But this turn away from the classic no.10 in the modern game is also the reason Felix is guaranteed to fail here. I pray he succeeds, he appears to be a nice enough lad and at least content to be here, embrace the challenge, which is more than what we got from Auba or Lukaku. What we need from him is to create chances, I doubt he will be much of a finisher. Not bc he can't score, he is more clinicalthan Kai for sure, but bche will barelybe found in those positions when no one else can create for them.

1 minute ago, Magic Lamps said:

But this turn away from the classic no.10 in the modern game is also the reason Felix is guaranteed to fail here. 

Yep, and also partly a reason why Havertz has failed too. While he can play up front or out wide on the right, neither of those are optimally suited for him and for those kind of roles there are much better suited players available (maybe not at Chelsea but generally speaking).

Havertz too would be at his best playing behind a striker as a free roaming no.10 but none of the three managers he' played under have used a formation where that role exists. The closest to that was Tuchel's 3-4-3 as one of the 'double 10s' behind the main striker but without actual wingers it was not great whenever the main wing-backs (Chilwell-James) weren't playing.

Be interesting to see if Potter plans to use both Felix and Havertz together or if it's just one or the other. Either way it's going to be hard to fit them in.

6 hours ago, Jype said:

Agreed. Although I always thought both were a bit overrated esp Rodriguez who only had that one WC at top level. 🤷‍♂️

Regarding Kai and Felix, I feel Kai has the edge simply because he has the build to play striker, which is the better position for him too IMO.

9 minutes ago, DDA said:

Was Saul being sarcastic ?? Lol

He’s one of those guys that just seems genuinely decent. Doesn’t let a disappointing situation ruin his life or anything. Bit like Torres and Timo when they left here.