Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

4 minutes ago, The Rising Sun said:

1 We will most likely command a fee for him so the club makes money on the sale. He hasn't asked to leave.

2 Sterling has a contract which means we need him to leave and agree to breaking the contract.

3 if he is earning 300k a week here and his next club is offering him 180k, then he has the right to demand the 120k difference. 

£325K PW (£50.7m over the next 3 years)

and also has around £20m in additional bonuses and add-ons potentially coming his way over the next 3 years

that is how you get to £70m

1 minute ago, Vesper said:

£325K PW (£50.7m over the next 3 years)

and also has around £20m in additional bonuses and add-ons potentially coming his way over the next 3 years

that is how you get to £70m

Boehly was smoking crack when he handed that contract.

Just now, TheHulk said:

Boehly was smoking crack when he handed that contract.

Well, you are looking at a bloke who agreed with the other LA Dodger owners to drop a 10-year, $700-million-dollar contract (wages plus bonuses) on Shohei Ohtani.

0ac2ff68ff4309d9eaaea9236c02a29e.png

The Sterling situation is very easy to understand. He got some kind of sign on fee for joining. Probably many millions. The sign on fee is not paid all at once but distributed over time.

If as a player you hand in a transfer request then you waive your right to the rest of the sign on fee. If the club instead chooses to sell you then you are still entitled to it. We owe him whatever is left of his sign on bonus.

That is all. Everything else is on him to negotiate with his new club.

2 minutes ago, Vesper said:

Well, you are looking at a bloke who agreed with the other LA Dodger owners to drop a 10-year, $700-million-dollar contract (wages plus bonuses) on Shohei Ohtani.

0ac2ff68ff4309d9eaaea9236c02a29e.png

Shohei is the GOAT of baseball though. Sterling ain't close lol.

As with Lukaku, the club genuinely did think that Sterling was going to be a 100% guaranteed superstar for many years when he came here. So the silly money we paid out for both and the crazy contracts were seen as something you just had to do with top class players.

Ironically, exactly what’s currently preventing us from signing Osimhen. They’ve learned from those egregious errors and don’t want a repeat.

Just now, Thor said:

Shohei is the GOAT of baseball though. Sterling ain't close lol.

yes, but Sterling's wages per week are over 3 times less when you do the FOREX

and his contract was also half the length

4 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

Lets be honest, I do get the point your trying to make but realistically we are going to get nowhere with a false 9. And the itinerary all summer has been to recruit a striker alongside Guiu. 

Oshimen and Toney not perfect by any stretch but both much better than Jackson, Guiu and playing anybody as false 9s.

Jackson couldn’t finish his dinner and Guiu needs to grow into first team football. Be a painful season again.

Saudi’s not fucking about though, agreed deals for 2 players, if Oshimen doesn’t go they get Toney or vice versa. Ruthless.

I'm unsure what people have been watching that makes them come to the conclusion that Jackson is going to turn into a reliable CF. Four games this season have shown enough to say it's LW or the bench.

3 hours ago, Mário César said:

what a joke

I'm going to take this as fact for a moment - We expect one of the best CF's around to join us for a paycut? 😄

Edited by LAM09

Feels like everything has gone silent at the moment. Ten Hag even saying Sancho is staying now.

With Toney currently doing his medical for the Saudi’s you’d have to assume that if Osimhen decides to say yes to their offer we can just quickly pivot to Toney and use that medical info.

1 minute ago, Vesper said:

yes, but Sterling's wages per week are over 3 times less when you do the FOREX

and his contract was also half the length

American sports players who are 'names' always get paid more. You have people like Jordan Love who is an ok Quarterback who get essentially $55m a year or $3.25m a game (if his team do not make the play offs.) 

For clarification, Love has only had one season as a starter and only looked decent in the last 8 games or something. QB's do get paid differently to other positions in American Football, but it is also a good example of how they're paid crazily. 

Remember that VO's salary at Napoli is a fake salary. He was given this deal to shut him up and they never expected him to make that money for more than a few months. It was to inflate the salary he'd get next, as he assumed he would never be asked to take a pay cut. Its far more than he's worth and they & we know it.

The only place that will pay him ridiculous money will be Saudi. If he wants that, it is his choice and I wont blame him - that's a different level of wealth. Depends on his motivations and life ambitions. Obviously either way he is sorted for life financially. But that is clearly a one way road: no one is going to buy him back out of Saudi and put him on any kind of serious wages when he's not played proper football in years. I don't blame the guy either way tbh.

I'm super fine with not going for VO. All the better. 

Hilarious some are calling Toney better than Jackson. Good jokes. Great in fact. 

Duran and a CB to close would be great to end things. 

I get that but if he goes to a new club does that not remove financial responsibility from us not having to subsidize the ridiculous wage. It is different for a manager if they do not get a new job after being sacked then yes we continue to pay them their salary but if he's going to a new team not leaving football why should we still be paying him. Is the contract no longer valid when he is sold.

Just now, Thor said:

I'm super fine with not going for VO. All the better. 

Hilarious some are calling Toney better than Jackson. Good jokes. Great in fact. 

Duran and a CB to close would be great to end things. 

I feel the same. VO would be nice if the deal is right - I'm not convinced he is 100% nailed on starter for us, but good competition for NJ and improves the squad.

Duran for similar reasons would be nice, any number 9 who is physical and a bit of a bully would add some nice variety to our squad of Mr Nice Guy forwards. We could use someone with a bit of an edge to them.

TBH a world class CB would make more difference than a number 9

19 minutes ago, King Kante said:

Jordan Love

no clue who that is but he does have a shit-eating grin on him, lol

800px-Jordan_Love_OCT2021_(cropped).jpg

In July 2024, Love signed a new $220 million, four-year extension with the Packers; at an average of $55 million a year, that tied him with Trevor Lawrence and Joe Burrow for the highest average annual value in NFL history. 

Edited by Vesper

1 minute ago, bluesman2610 said:

I get that but if he goes to a new club does that not remove financial responsibility from us not having to subsidize the ridiculous wage. It is different for a manager if they do not get a new job after being sacked then yes we continue to pay them their salary but if he's going to a new team not leaving football why should we still be paying him. Is the contract no longer valid when he is sold.

I just posted to explain please read a few posts up.

We made a promise to him that he will get some portion of money (the sign on fee) as long as he does not request a transfer. Simple as. We promised it and we should pay it. That's how contracts work and the right thing to do. The rest he will obviously lose and will be on him to get from his new club.