Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

4 minutes ago, whats happening said:

i am fine withe either alvarez or osimhen, but if i had to chose i would pick alvarez.

Agreed. He's by far the better fit for Maresca's system; Alvarez is even already adapted to that system.

3 hours ago, Pizy said:

If we break this new wage structure that we’ve just put in place for Osimhen it kinda opens the floodgates for any of our current players seeking new terms. If Palmer has another amazing season and then stays to the club “I want £200k per week or I’m going to agitate for a move,” will the club be prepared to break the wage structure again?

We presently have Sterling and Lukaku, who make far more than the majority of our group. Are the rest of the team making a fuss?

In respect to Palmer, it should be a flat out, yes. You either reward players (within reason) for their own on-field performances or risk becoming the Arsenal of the past, who frequently lost important players.

6 minutes ago, LAM09 said:

We presently have Sterling and Lukaku, who make far more than the majority of our group. Are the rest of the team making a fuss?

In respect to Palmer, it should be a flat out, yes. You either reward players (within reason) for their own on-field performances or risk becoming the Arsenal of the past, who frequently lost important players.

I think the new wage structure was recently put in place because of players like Sterling and Koulibaly. These owners don’t want to get burned again by giving players that turn out to be huge disappointments £300k a week.

Players like Enzo, Caicedo, etc were brought in and put on “reasonable” (by todays standard) wages when traditionally these mega transfer fee players would be only more than double what we have them on. If we suddenly hand Osimhen £250k per week I can imagine some of the others being annoyed.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d still pay what it takes for the right player. But it’s not without risk.

6 minutes ago, Pizy said:

I think the new wage structure was recently put in place because of players like Sterling and Koulibaly. These owners don’t want to get burned again by giving players that turn out to be huge disappointments £300k a week.

Players like Enzo, Caicedo, etc were brought in and put on “reasonable” (by todays standard) wages when traditionally these mega transfer fee players would be only more than double what we have them on. If we suddenly hand Osimhen £250k per week I can imagine some of the others being annoyed.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d still pay what it takes for the right player. But it’s not without risk.

The difference & more were paid in their inflated transfer fees. Either you overpay where fees are concerned or give out bumper contracts (free agent market is huge). There is no way this approach can be sustained. There will eventually be something that gives. All I can hope for is that it doesn't result in players leaving, as I stated above.

Everything is a risk. However, some risks are worth taking.

Are we even linked to Alvarez, if so he shits all over Oshimhen that's for sure. Honestly the only reason I'd like that bang average Oshimhen is to avoid getting complete turds like Samu otherwise he is waste of money as well.

🚨 #Chelsea have submitted an opening proposal worth €15m (£12.7m), including performance-related add-ons for Gremio attacking midfielder Gabriel Mec.

32 minutes ago, TheHulk said:

Are we collecting goalkeepers? What happened with Slonina.

The keeper ahead of Slonina in the Olympic USMNT is really average. He is however keeping Slonina on the bench during the Olympics.

2 hours ago, Pizy said:

Let me rephrase this - the new wage structure, actively hurting our potential due to it being overconservative and bightonizing us even further,  was put in place due to owners carelessness to put it lightly, as they were personally deciding to hand out way too high contracts to players who were not worth it and it was visible to anyone remotely watching football from time to time. I think our new owners trying to save the club from themselves is a generally sound idea, but the execution should be prioritized elsewhere.

By the way, I find the club trying to cap the wages at midtable level and, at the same time, burning tens of millions buying some random, overpaid players with doubtful potential absolutely ridiculous mode of operation. What is even the point? (even from cynical, business-only standpoint)

Edited by Vegetable

8 minutes ago, Vegetable said:

Let me rephrase this - the new wage structure, actively hurting our potential due to it being overconservative and bightonizing us even further,  was put in place due to owners idiocy, as they were personally deciding to hand out way too high contracts to players who were not worth it and it was visible to anyone remotely watching football from time to time. I think our new owners trying to save the club from themselves is a generally sound idea, but the execution should be prioritized elsewhere.

By the way, I find the club trying to cap the wages at midtable level and, at the same time, burning tens of millions buying some random, overpaid players with doubtful potential absolutely ridiculous mode of operation. What is even the point? (even from cynical, business-only standpoint)

I think the owners want to turn us into one of those clubs like Dortmund or Benfica or yes, Brighton who buy these young talents for low fees and mould them into £100m players. Just on a much bigger scale since we aren’t a club that’ll be forced to sell those players when and if they do blossom into superstars.

It seems like scattershot madness right now when it’s in its infancy but if in a few years from now Estevão, Paez, Anselmino, etc are all starting for us the club will look like geniuses. Nobody really has patience anymore so it’s difficult now to see the big picture.

As for the wages we offer, apart from the two Manchester clubs I don’t think anyone else really pays mega wages. I’d bet our highest earners under this new wages structure (about £120-150k) are comparable to what the best players at Arse, Spuds, Liverpool etc are earning. You’ll have your odd superstar like Salah on far more but I doubt Liverpool for example are offering new signings any more than we are. 

4 minutes ago, Pizy said:

I think the owners want to turn us into one of those clubs like Dortmund or Benfica or yes, Brighton who buy these young talents for low fees and mould them into £100m players.

This is reasonable thinking, however in my simple man's mind you need to buy cheap and sell for big money for it to work. If we are buying mediocre talents for thrice their worth to start with and still need to write off those who will fail (and it might be some and might be most of them) I understand the owners bet on average footballer's price doubling or tripling in next 3-5 years for the numbers to add up. Plus if we will somehow manage to create a superstar, shouldn't the club of our format just… well, keep him? I guess the flipping model comes mainly to selling mid-to-low tier players to mid-to-low table clubs, so the max selling price is limited too. Or we are openly going to become midtable feeder club, who knows.

In terms of wages, well, I do not endorse the buy-to-win model of PSG or City, but pretty much the only way we could compete with oil money clubs without going full plastic was ability to make things happen if needed to, like a little cheeky joker card. If we are limiting ourselves to mediocre players (or worse, as I can't really see any player who came here under Clearlake who'd I call smart business or a steal, at least on Marina's level) by principle, it's a highway to become Arsenal or United type of club, stuck in B-tier and unable to jump forward, so pretty much what we were left with after CL win. I take Pool out of this equation as it was a freaky product of smart management, process, talent, mentality and luck and I don't believe it's possible to replicate in our circumstances.