Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

1 minute ago, Magic Lamps said:

That’s right. The point I was dismissing was that Caicedo was a complete midfielder, which is obv absolute BS.

Kante was limited too but that is also why he did not work as well in a midfield three. So if we wanna buy a midfield sitter anyway, why buy another midfielder whose main strength is basically attacking the ball and that’s pretty much it. 

Hunting down and attacking the ball may be his BEST quality but not his only one. Also similar to Kante, Caicedo is good at not only breaking the play up but also picking up the ball and driving it forward. It’s not like we’re buying some player who is shocking on the ball. He can dribble the ball well and can handle being pressed. 

With Enzo to handle the creative stuff next to him I wouldn’t be concerned at all about what Caicedo can’t do.

36 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

He really is not a complete midfielder. Quite the opposite. 

Lampard, Ballack, Gerard were  what I consider complete midfielders. The technique, the tactical ability, physicality, passing range, leadership, huge quantifiable impact on both ends of the pitch, controlling, dominating the play in midfield.
Caicedo is far from that. He doesn’t score or assist goals. His technique, esp his first touch is average, he lacks tactical anticipation. He doesn’t head the ball well, he is not ambipedal, his passing range is inconsistent. His strengths are tackling, tenacity, stamina. Nothing else is really close to being on an elite level. A rather limited player. If you spend 80m on a player with one top league season under his belt he better should have shown more in those than a few decent tackles. Granted he is still young and seems to have the right attitude but he is not good enough to help us to the level where we should be. I doubt he ever will be. More often than not midfield is where the game is won. If our recruiting strategy continues to be throwing tons of cash at flavour of the month players from hipster clubs like Brighton we will be waiting a long time for our first major post-Roman title. 

Think you are being overly critical, which is ironic given your constant defence and praise for Kai Havertz. 

Caicedo ranks among the top 10 midfielders in terms of interceptions, passing accuracy, progressive passes, successful long passes, successful short passes, and Expected Threat (xT) from passes (IE the pass before a big chance is created). He's completed 83%of his long passes which puts him in the top four percentile of midfielders. 

He may not be the goal scoring midfielder/Cesc Fabregas esq chance creator yet but his metrics do show him as very well rounded midfielder. 

the players I would sell: KK (25-30M), cucurella (25-30M), kovacic (40M), mount (50M), pulisic (30M), Ziyech (20M), auba (5M), lukaku (50M) =   +240-250M

the players I would buy: fresneda (25M), milinkovic-savic (40M), damsgaard (20M) oshimen (80M) =    -165M

my scheme: 4231   

kepa (mendy)

james (fresneda) thiago (chalobah) fofana (badiashile) chilwell (hall)

SMS (Chucky) enzo (RLC or gallagher)

madueke (damsgaard) mudryk (havertz) sterling (odoi)

oshimen (fofana)

6 minutes ago, Antonio8 said:

the players I would sell: KK (25-30M), cucurella (25-30M), kovacic (40M), mount (50M), pulisic (30M), Ziyech (20M), auba (5M), lukaku (50M) =   +240-250M

the players I would buy: fresneda (25M), milinkovic-savic (40M), damsgaard (20M) oshimen (80M) =    -165M

my scheme: 4231   

kepa (mendy)

james (fresneda) thiago (chalobah) fofana (badiashile) chilwell (hall)

SMS (Chucky) enzo (RLC or gallagher)

madueke (damsgaard) mudryk (havertz) sterling (odoi)

oshimen (fofana)

inter will not pay 50M for lukaku and no one will buy cucurella

oshimen no way will be sold for 80M euros - its impossible

Edited by Mário César

35 minutes ago, Mário César said:

one of the worst signings we made

lose matic and replace with bakayoko it was big big mistake 

one of the several mistakes we did after epl 2017 title 

Half right in my opinion. Replacing with Bakayoko was bad but getting £40m for Matic as he was at that point was fantastic business.

Does this mean we're finally rid of all the rubbish Conte loaded on the squad?

Edited by Tomo

22 minutes ago, MoroccanBlue said:

Think you are being overly critical, which is ironic given your constant defence and praise for Kai Havertz. 

Caicedo ranks among the top 10 midfielders in terms of interceptions, passing accuracy, progressive passes, successful long passes, successful short passes, and Expected Threat (xT) from passes (IE the pass before a big chance is created). He's completed 83%of his long passes which puts him in the top four percentile of midfielders. 

He may not be the goal scoring midfielder/Cesc Fabregas esq chance creator yet but his metrics do show him as very well rounded midfielder. 

Thanks for the stats. They indeed look promising and I was surprised on the passing. Subjectively never perceived his as this consistent but will do some further research. So our difference in opinion is basically only whether our b2b signing should be required to provide  attacking output or not.  

Btw, about the Kai  stuff I think you confuse me with someone else. I think he is decent when used correctly and has a place in the clubs history. but just some pages back I wrote a post about how  overall his development here has been disappointing and that he can gladly leave if the price is right. 

13 minutes ago, Mário César said:

inter will not pay 50M for lukaku and no one will buy cucurella

oshimen no way will be sold for 80M euros - its impossible

so ok, let's swap lukaku+50M for oshimen (or vlahovic)

loan cucurella to anyone with option to buy

deal done?

10 hours ago, Pizy said:

He’s basically a “Kante Lite” in my eyes. Very similar games from what I’ve watched but of course not at peak Kante level yet. 

Hard to really judge whether he’s overrated. I don’t really see people hyping him up as if he’s a superstar or anything. Most just think he’s a really, really solid player who can become world class. Which I think is fair.

'closest to Kante' types: 

Nicolò Barella 
Moisés Caicedo
Sandro Tonali 
Roméo Lavia   
André (Fluminense)

4 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

Thanks for the stats. They indeed look promising and I was surprised on the passing. Subjectively never perceived his as this consistent but will do some further research. So our difference in opinion is basically only whether our b2b signing should be required to provide  attacking output or not.  

Btw, about the Kai  stuff I think you confuse me with someone else. I think he is decent when used correctly and has a place in the clubs history. but just some pages back I wrote a post about how  overall his development here has been disappointing and that he can gladly leave if the price is right. 

I view Caicedo in the same manner as Essien. I think there are other ways midfielders can contribute to the attack without getting goals or assists. As mentioned, Caicedo ranks high in expected threats, which is mostly down to his passing ability. It's no coincidence that a player with as much responsibility as he does in the defensive actions rank low in assists but high in xT. 

I am in agreement with you that Enzo + Caicedo isn't it. There needs to be another defensive minded midfielder. 

24 minutes ago, TheHulk said:

Just like Cucurella, Conor was also player of the year in his club in 21/22 season. Plus HG and played at WC which Cucurella didn't. If anything he should be more expensive. Brighton is really toying with us.