Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

59 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

Recognise their error? Should’ve known from the start. Clearly - and this has been for a long time now - there is no actual plan in place for on the pitch and it’s more of a business model…

Whats been constant/consistent in our transfer business? Young players, lower incentive based wages, long term deals. Selling academy players for PSR. Selling players on higher wages (some that were only signed 12/24 months ago). 

I mean otherwise, can you tell me how it is anything else, when managers like Tuchel, Poch, Potter & Maresca all have literally next to nothing in common in terms of playing styles? And you don’t build a playing squad without tailoring it to the manager and his philosophy in all honesty. You can put blocks in place but ultimately, can’t do it all.

What concerns me most at present is the managerial turnover. 

They should have been more honest with fans, that a restructure would be needed at the club. It was pretty obvious - we've operated at a loss for years, being propped up by Roman. That was never going to be sustainable under new ownership. I can see what they are trying to do, in completely rebuilding the squad under a new wage structure that moving forward should help the club to become sustainable, and in all honesty it was never going to be pretty. I don't agree with the way in which they have done it, I think if they had leant more on some of the academy talent here to help fill that squad out, they wouldn't be facing the same scrutiny they are now. 

But the whole club is now crying out for some time. They can't change the entire makeup of the squad, buy solely young talent and expect to be competing as a top 4 team. They got rid of that team. That isn't to say this current squad can't make top 4 this season or in the near future, but they do need to be given the platform to grow and develop together and that goes for the manager too. We no longer have the core of players in the dressing room that can lead amongst chaos and absorb managerial changes.

This ownership have put their own stamp on the football club. It's time for them to now leave it untouched and see how things develop.

48 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

Would of rather took a €20m gamble on him than Felix for £46m.

Although both are literally the same type of player, all style, no substance, no consistency. But at least for €20m not that big a hit when we would go to sell him next year.

Disagree. True that Felix isn’t going to be consistently excellent over the course of a 50+ game season or whatever we’ll play but I still think capable of being a match winning quality player much more often than Cherki would be. 

Tbh, I really don’t know why I see quite a few of our fans complaining about the fee we’ve paid for Felix. If we had spent completely obscene money like £65m or more then yes, that would be insane. But £44m for someone who’s just 24 and has world class talent (not saying he’s a world class player because he hasn’t been consistent enough) is great business in my eyes. 

You can’t even get slightly above average English attackers from PL clubs for that amount these days. Spuds paid nearly £50m for Brennan Johnson for instance and Felix is 5x the player he is.

It's still 44 million for a player unwanted at every club he has been to in his senior career, including Chelsea, perhaps not without a reason, occupying position we are absolutely packed at, who had great talent when he was considered wonderkid but since he made tragic decision for his development this is a distant memory now. Also, his skillset isn't best suited for PL and he has to broaden it significantly to be of any use + his lack of product and consistency fits what is bane of Chelsea squad since ages. He is a luxury player, perhaps capable of making the difference few (count on fingers) times per season. If we couldn't afford this earlier but we can afford this now - fine. If we consider having enough groundwork done for making a difference to make a difference - also fine. 

I'd really like to see some educated opinion if he had actually improved in any aspect since leaving Chelsea the last time.

2 minutes ago, Vesper said:

IF he stays healthy

and that is a massive IF

true

on the other hand, compared to Nkunku, Fofana, Lavia, and James, he played plenty in the 23/24 season.

Heh, could also add Chilwell to the list... hardly ever fit enough to help out.

Edited by robsblubot

5 minutes ago, Vegetable said:

It's still 44 million for a player unwanted at every club he has been to in his senior career, including Chelsea, perhaps not without a reason, occupying position we are absolutely packed at, who had great talent when he was considered wonderkid but since he made tragic decision for his development this is a distant memory now. Also, his skillset isn't best suited for PL and he has to broaden it significantly to be of any use + his lack of product and consistency fits what is bane of Chelsea squad since ages. He is a luxury player, perhaps capable of making the difference few (count on fingers) times per season. If we couldn't afford this earlier but we can afford this now - fine. If we consider having enough groundwork done for making a difference to make a difference - also fine. 

I'd really like to see some educated opinion if he had actually improved in any aspect since leaving Chelsea the last time.

Barca would have ideally liked to keep him from what I’ve seen. But they’re broke as a joke and can only afford like 1 transfer per window these days. They just had to give Gündogan up for free back to City just to be able to register Olmo, ffs.

Almost ALL of the Barca fans I see in comments sections across social media really wanted him to come back there.

12 minutes ago, Pizy said:

But they’re broke as a joke and can only afford like 1 transfer per window these days.

So they chose to bring Olmo in instead of keeping Felix it seems, despite the latter being less expensive, at least for us. Perhaps they could make it work if they really wanted.

Remember the general opinion about his loan here was very similar - he was quite well regarded and liked, actually one of most impressive players from those who failed to impress here, but nothing to make a fuss about in the end.

Not going to argue as no crystal ball here and no strong opinion really, I'm just seeing a lot of red(ish) flags, remember his previous stint and also baseless enthusiasm towards Enzo being the superstar savior player, so I keep my optimism at bay. 

Personally I feel he fits Barca better (where players have it easier after all) but maybe he is too limited again. I don't mind having him around, unless it means this 44 million contributes towards overcrowding story once again, no CB, no GK and no ST this season, then it's not good.

30 minutes ago, Vegetable said:

He didn't have to. He was good enough. Poch didn't want him.

4 minutes ago, Vegetable said:

So they chose to bring Olmo in instead of keeping Felix it seems, despite the latter being less expensive, at least for us. Perhaps they could make it work if they really wanted.

Remember the general opinion about his loan here was very similar - he was quite well regarded and liked, actually one of most impressive players from those who failed to impress here, but nothing to make a fuss about in the end.

Not going to argue as no crystal ball here and no strong opinion really, I'm just seeing a lot of red(ish) flags, remember his previous stint and also baseless enthusiasm towards Enzo being the superstar savior player, so I keep my optimism at bay. 

Personally I feel he fits Barca better (where players have it easier after all) but maybe he is too limited again. I don't mind having him around, unless it means this 44 million contributes towards overcrowding story once again, no CB, no GK and no ST this season, then it's not good.

Barca are always after the flavor of the month kind of player. They needed a new, flashy toy to give their fans and just bringing Felix back was never going to be enough. Remember they badly wanted Nico Williams, failed, and “settled” for Olmo since they knew their fans would be happy with him after that fantastic tournament he had.

They needed someone new to please their fans and show that they want to compete with Real Madrid.

Raheem Sterling keen to leave Chelsea in permanent transfer

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5712124/2024/08/21/raheem-sterling-Chelsea-transfer-permanent/

Screenshot-2024-08-21-at-13.14.48-e17242

Raheem Sterling has expressed a preference to leave Chelsea on a permanent basis after it became clear that at present he is not part of the club’s plans going forward.

The 29-year-old trained away from the club on Tuesday and Wednesday after being given a few days off while both parties consider options for a departure from Stamford Bridge.

Talks are planned in the coming days, with Chelsea working with the winger to find a full-time solution, which he would currently prefer to a loan switch.

Sterling was unhappy at being left out of Enzo Maresca’s matchday squad for Chelsea’s Premier League opener against Manchester City.

A statement on behalf of the former City and Liverpool attacker released before kick-off at Stamford Bridge said he was seeking “clarity” over his future at the club.

Sterling made 43 appearances in all competitions last term under former head coach Mauricio Pochettino before Maresca bolstered his attacking options with the signings of Joao Felix, Pedro Neto, Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall and Marc Guiu this summer.

“I am not saying Raheem is not a good player, but I prefer different kinds of wingers,” Maresca said on Wednesday.

“They are training apart,” he added of Sterling and Ben Chilwell, who is also part of the group working away from the first-team squad.

“The situation with both of them is quite clear. We have a big squad and it’s impossible to give all of them minutes. If they are looking for minutes it’s better for them to leave. I try to be honest.”

Sterling left City for Chelsea in 2022 for a fee in the region of £47.5 million. He has three years remaining on his current deal having signed a five-year contract.

He won four Premier League titles and one FA Cup at the Etihad having joined the club from Liverpool in 2015.

I wonder if Newcastle or Villa will decide they want another “big name” and take a punt on Sterling. They’ve both already got good wide players but he’d still be considered a big signing for either and someone who could really help their depth.

Those are really the only 2 PL clubs who I think could both afford to pay him high wages and also that he’d agree to move to. He’d never drop down to the level of like an Everton or something. 

15 minutes ago, Vesper said:

Can I get paid £85m for 5 years and keep crying 'poor me'????

I think not.

Yeah but you didn’t father 4 babies before turning 18, that takes your money a lot. Raheem is a family centered man!

1 hour ago, Vegetable said:

It's still 44 million for a player unwanted at every club he has been to in his senior career

You've answered above. The answer is evidently, no.

Not only Atletico did not want to retain his services, but there was hardly any interest from other top clubs. Honestly, it feels that the deal was only made so that Conor could leave, which was important for FFP reasons.

Edited by robsblubot

9 hours ago, Fulham Broadway said:

Mourinho was/is many things but his 2 top players for every position mantra made perfect sense and works generally.

9 keepers is akin to mental illness. 

Plyushkin's disorder, is a mental disorder characterised by persistent difficulty in parting with possessions and engaging in excessive acquisition of items that are not needed or for which no space is available.

hoarding

8 hours ago, Magic Lamps said:

ongest season in club history

not really

No UEFA Super Cup

No Charity Shield

No FIFA World Club Cup

plus

we do not know how deep we go in

The League Cup

The FA Cup

or