Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

1 minute ago, Vegetable said:

One man's trash is other man's treasure, we love seeing our players as unfit for even the sunday league level, but I don't think Rice is like million levels above Mount or Havertz, not to mention anyone coming from Brighton… This reminds me of Raphinia apeshit a little bit. Some clubs will let themselves be pushed over, some will not. I can see De Laurentis selling Mount for 80 and getting Caicedo for 50 🤪

Well, ofc we could buy some unknown younger midfielders with potential for a lot cheaper prize, but some people here would then complain about all these youngsters being bought lol.

4 minutes ago, Gundalf said:

Well, ofc we could buy some unknown younger midfielders with potential for a lot cheaper prize, but some people here would then complain about all these youngsters being bought lol.

I don't have a problem with the target, but with the way business is being conducted - they want 100? Offer 85 and let everyone know you desperately need this player by friday and have absolutely zero alternative and it will end on 95 + bonuses. Laugh in their face and offer 20, it will end in 50 at best. Maybe they'll forget you are THE idiot who bought Cucurella for 60. It's not like City and Arsenal are waiting with their credit cards to snag him and if they will about to do this for ~70 like any club with dignity and sense of reasonability will, we can easily match it. Another question is whether this guy wants to come here or is indifferent but will happily do a fundraiser for his beloved Brighton.

But yeah, we have already successfully pulled a bidding war with ourselves over Enzo, who had absolute zero offers and firm interest from other clubs, so the Chelsea way in action again I guess. Virtually no other top club is paying such shitloads of money, especially for players from mid-table teams who may turn out good, but may also not quite. Tchouaméni was 80 mil Euro, just to have a little comparison.

Considering Arsenal made 3 bids for Caicedo in January and the last one was 65m pounds plus 5m bonus.

I would definitely not pay more than 70m plus 5-10m bonus for Caicedo.

As they have assured him that he can leave in the summer.

7 hours ago, Special Juan said:

According to Romano we want to get Caicedo done and the focus on a creative player

Pretty sure he said it ten times already this summer 

1 minute ago, Vegetable said:

I don't have a problem with the target, but with the way business is being conducted - they want 100? Offer 85 and let everyone know you desperately need this player by friday and have absolutely zero alternative and it will end on 95 + bonuses. Laugh in their face and offer 20, it will end in 50 at best. Maybe they'll forget you are THE idiot who bought Cucurella for 60. It's not like City and Arsenal are waiting with their credit cards to snag him and if they will about to do this for ~70 like any club with dignity and sense of reasonability will, we can easily match it. Another question is whether this guy wants to come here or is indifferent but will happily do a fundraiser for his beloved Brighton.

But yeah, we have already successfully pulled a bidding war with ourselves over Enzo, who had absolute zero offers and firm interest from other clubs, so the Chelsea way in action again I guess. Virtually no other top club is paying such shitloads of money, especially for players from mid-table teams who may turn out good, but may also not quite. Tchouaméni was 80 mil Euro, just to have a little comparison.

Arsenal had a 75m bid for Caicedo rejected in janaury and now they spent 105m for their plan B, coming from a club that was in relegation fight and no one calls them idiots. Is Rice really worth 30 millions more than Caicedo?

Tchouaméni was a big big price considering he came from Ligue 1, also teams like Real or Barca always can buy cheaper because of their aura and players only want to go there. A club like Chelsea always has to pay more.

Legit question: who would you buy at the moment? And dont say Tchouaméni - as if he would come to a team like us lol

21 minutes ago, Gundalf said:

Legit question: who would you buy at the moment? And dont say Tchouaméni - as if he would come to a team like us lol

This is more a question for @Vesper I guess 😂

Maybe he wouldn't, but if Real will be happy to dump him for Mbappe, he will have go somewhere and it won't be Barca, so maybe some contact wouldn't hurt.

I guess we successfully missed Ugarte and Tonali (congrats), but hence Brighton is hardballing because they want Colwill and we are easy to mug, maybe instead of leaking to press that we are desperate suckers, it would be better to leak that we have alternatives? Make some noise? Talk to Busquets, show them the handbag of cash waiting. Troll Bayern, sniff around Kimmich. Diplomacy is about tactful but ruthless display of dominance, not licking feet of entity much smaller and less powerful than yours. Meanwhile we have dumped astronomical amounts of dough there for subpar assets and still consider Brighton some god-tier club we have to tiptoe around.

Arsenal passed on him and decided to pay up for Rice, but they had a choice to pay what Brighton asked and for some reason they didn't, right? Maybe that's way no one is calling them idiots (on those grounds at least, lol). Maybe he is a perfect fit for them, will sell truckload of shirts and is just the right fit, personality and skill wise. Meanwhile I'm not foolish enough to delude myself our staff knows who is the perfect fit. Rice is at least HG, an issue that will SURPRISINGLY bite us in the ass soon, that may be worth that 30 million alone in some circumstances.

Edited by Vegetable

7 minutes ago, Vegetable said:

Arsenal passed on him and decided to pay up for Rice, but they had a choice to pay what Brighton asked and for some reason they didn't, right? Maybe that's way no one is calling them idiots (on those grounds at least, lol).

Well Im pretty sure if we had signed Rice (remember, I always wanted him instead of anyone else) for 105m this place would be in a meltdown. 😂

I dunno, I think the fact that its Brighton is influencing you a little bit. I bet if Caicedo would be a Benfica player like Enzo was, your take would be slightly different - because I didnt see you moaning about the fact that we submitted to Benficas terms in the end and overpaid quite a lot. 

Edited by Gundalf

1 minute ago, Gundalf said:

I dunno, I think the fact that its Brighton is influencing you a little bit. I bet if Caicedo would be a Benfica player like Enzo was, your take would be slightly different - because I didnt see you moaning about the fact that we submitted to Benficas terms in the end and overpaid quite a lot. 

Man, I was freaking fuming here when Enzo was happening 😂 I guess with similar arguments. And I still think it was quite an overpay 👀.

Yeah, I wouldn't really entertain Rice for over 80 as well. But we have well paid people in place to scout and sort this stuff out, meanwhile their moves look like amatourish pr and negotiations teams, that don't do more than any of us with FM on hand could.

Would actually rather of paid £100m for Rice than for Caicedo if I am honest. But thats off the table now aa he’s expected to be signed by Arsenal tomorrow I think.

If we pay £100m for Caicedo, whilst hes a good player, Brighton and Benfica have rooked us financially for him and Enzo. No midfielder in the world worth £100m. Not one. 

14 minutes ago, Clockwork said:

Enzo is rare in football, there aren’t many elite midfield controllers. So there is a rationale for paying such fees. On the other hand B2B/DMF they are not that unique. 

Ehhhhh, no thanks:

image.png.1d66964feaea88b79bff7d91afc39cb9.png

Its with all the luxury goods: for the highest quality u have to pay relatively more. Is an Iphone Pro Max worth 1200€ instead of an 600€ Xiaomi? Ofc not, but if u want the top notch, u gotta pay. Yes we overpaid a lot on Enzo but cmon, show me a Chelsea fan that doesnt want him here. No regrets. And no, not every DM is as good as Caicedo. Rice is maybe, but thats why he costs 105m - I dont want compromises. Guys like Zubimendi are not as good as Caicedo, so why should be buy him? Bc he is cheaper?  Splash the cash and have a midfield duo that can dominate our midfield for at least 8 years. 

Edited by Gundalf

27 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

Would actually rather of paid £100m for Rice than for Caicedo if I am honest. But thats off the table now aa he’s expected to be signed by Arsenal tomorrow I think.

If we pay £100m for Caicedo, whilst hes a good player, Brighton and Benfica have rooked us financially for him and Enzo. No midfielder in the world worth £100m. Not one. 

Worth is relative.

I'd say for us Enzo was defiently worth the money. Midfielders of his skillset are unbelievably rare and when they come are usually reserved for the Madrids/Barcas of this world, the last one of his type that had any interest in coming here was Modric and even then we eventually got blown out of the water by Madrid entering the fray.

Failing to get Enzo would have been a major major blunder. It was hard enough watching him at the world cup (I didn't think we had a snowballs in hells chance of getting him at that point), seeing him at a rival knowing he could have been ours would have stinged, hard.

Edited by Tomo

58 minutes ago, Gundalf said:

Ehhhhh, no thanks:

image.png.1d66964feaea88b79bff7d91afc39cb9.png

Its with all the luxury goods: for the highest quality u have to pay relatively more. Is an Iphone Pro Max worth 1200€ instead of an 600€ Xiaomi? Ofc not, but if u want the top notch, u gotta pay. Yes we overpaid a lot on Enzo but cmon, show me a Chelsea fan that doesnt want him here. No regrets. And no, not every DM is as good as Caicedo. Rice is maybe, but thats why he costs 105m - I dont want compromises. Guys like Zubimendi are not as good as Caicedo, so why should be buy him? Bc he is cheaper?  Splash the cash and have a midfield duo that can dominate our midfield for at least 8 years. 

If stats was everything, recruitment would be simple and linear. Zubimendi is good, he is seen as Busquets heir. He is also a true DM.

You didn't understand my post regarding Enzo.

10 minutes ago, Clockwork said:

If stats was everything, recruitment would be simple and linear. Zubimendi is good, he is seen as Busquets heir. He is also a true DM.

You didn't understand my post regarding Enzo.

All football clubs primarily use data and statistics to identify transfer targets. Zubimendi might be good, but Caicedo is better. 

15 minutes ago, Gundalf said:

All football clubs primarily use data and statistics to identify transfer targets. Zubimendi might be good, but Caicedo is better. 

Okay, they use statistics alongside the eye test. Caicedo has had one full PL season, on a Brighton side that overachieved. Sometime when the team plays very well an individual player can outperform their level. On the flipside when the team plays terrible, individual players can underperform ex: many players on this Chelsea season last season.

3 minutes ago, Clockwork said:

Okay, they use statistics alongside the eye test. Caicedo has had one full PL season, on a Brighton side that overachieved. Sometime when the team plays very well an individual player can outperform their level. On the flipside when the team plays terrible, individual players can underperform ex: many players on this Chelsea season last season.

Yes, and our scouts and coaches (remember Poch reallllyyy wants Caicedo) identified Caicedo as the perfect fit following these statistics and the eye test. Remember Enzo just arrived in Europe when we wanted him, not even playing a full season and our scouts and board said "we need that guy" - and hell, it was worth it. So I trust them if they say Caicedo is the best option to complete that midfield. Yes, its a lot of money, but I dont care, its not mine lol.