Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

9 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Because it has long term consequences if we get it wrong, especially big money one's, we couldn't put our names in the hat for Aguero and peak Falcao because we couldn't financially justify binning Torres so soon. 

That's what makes me nervous about signing Chilwell, in my opinion he's not that much better than Alonso if atall and we'll be stuck with him for years, we would never be able to recoup whatever the hell Leicester would make us pay and Lampard won't have a leg to stand on if he goes to the board and asks for a replacement.

Yeah but people act like it's their money being spent...

Didn't we try to pursue Aguero before the Torres move happened? I am pretty sure that was the case and Aguero joined City in the summer of the same year we bought Torres. And on hindsight, it was a good thing we didn't go for Falcao back then.

Sure, if a transfer move goes wrong, there will be consequences but it's just a case of whether the club want to take a loss from the sale because there will at least be a buyer out there. For example, we could have sold Batshuayi a long time ago but Marina wanted XX million for him and we couldn't sell him because no one wanted to pay the amount she wants.

Just now, Jason said:

Yeah but people act like it's their money being spent...

Didn't we try to pursue Aguero before the Torres move happened? I am pretty sure that was the case and Aguero joined City in the summer of the same year we bought Torres. And on hindsight, it was a good thing we didn't go for Falcao back then.

Sure, if a transfer move goes wrong, there will be consequences but it's just a case of whether the club want to take a loss from the sale because there will at least be a buyer out there. For example, we could have sold Batshuayi a long time ago but Marina wanted XX million for him and we couldn't sell him because no one wanted to pay the amount she wants.

Aguero was practically whoring himself to us, i have absolutely no doubt we would have got him if we seriously tried. Falcao may never have got injured here (and with it not declined so rapidly).

27 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Aguero was practically whoring himself to us, i have absolutely no doubt we would have got him if we seriously tried. Falcao may never have got injured here (and with it not declined so rapidly).

altought the Torres transfer was a major fuck up from the board, it must be said, we can't deny he played a crucial role in us winning back to back european trophies. If we had gotten Aguero back then we would have been set for years in the striker department no doubt, but its all if and buts right now, could we have won the Champions League and Europa League with Aguero? maybe, but i look at City in europe and they havent come close to winning any european trophy, even with Aguero leading the line and he's not getting any younger.

Just now, Johnnyeye said:

altought the Torres transfer was a major fuck up from the board, it must be said, we can't deny he played a crucial role in us winning back to back european trophies. If we had gotten Aguero back then we would have been set for years in the striker department no doubt, but its all if and buts right now, could we have won the Champions League and Europa League with Aguero? maybe, but i look at City in europe and they havent come close to winning any european trophy, even with Aguero leading the line and he's not getting any younger.

The Europa league agreed but i stuggle to accept the level of praise he gets for the CL. He may have scored the goal vs Barca but it was Bosingwa that made the vital interception (from his mistake) that prevented a certain goal and elimination.

Just now, Tomo said:

The Europa league agreed but i stuggle to accept the level of praise he gets for the CL. He may have scored the goal vs Barca but it was Bosingwa that made the vital interception (from his mistake) that prevented a certain goal and elimination.

i also think about the corner he won in Munich that led to our equalizer, but i understand your point. He was a flop, there is no denying that, waste of money unfortunately

@Tomo that Champions League run in 11/12 was nothing short of a miracle, it was simply written in the stars, the more i watch it again there is no denying it. We were so unlucky in previous years, with better teams, especially in crucial moments, it was really frustrating, but in that season everything went our way, even when it looked like there was no hope. I hope we can achieve those heights again in europe

Just now, Johnnyeye said:

@Tomo that Champions League run in 11/12 was nothing short of a miracle, it was simply written in the stars, the more i watch it again there is no denying it. We were so unlucky in previous years, with better teams, especially in crucial moments, it was really frustrating. I hope we can achieve those heights again in europe

In a peverse way i feel quite sad because football has peaked in my eyes, not even England winning the world cup would top that.

Probably explains why i remain rational after the majority of bad results these days, i never use to be like that in the 00's.

1 minute ago, Tomo said:

In a peverse way i feel quite sad because football has peaked in my eyes, not even England winning the world cup would top that.

Probably explains why i remain rational after the majority of bad results these days, i never use to be like that in the 00's.

i understand you mate, a lot has changed

@Tomo despite all those mixed feelings, you can't help but feel excited about the future of the club, we are heading in a good direction right now, dont you agree?, the transfer ban helped a lot in that sense, the emergence of the academy players, Lamps vision of the team, the latest signings, and who knows what else is yet to come. I for one im looking at the future with optimism, can't wait to see us compete for the title again. Cheers mate

1 minute ago, Johnnyeye said:

@Tomo despite all those mixedfeelings, you can't help but feel excited about the future of the club, we are heading in a good direction right now, dont you agree?, the transfer ban helped a lot in that sense, the emergence of the academy players, Lamps vision of the team, the latest signings, and who knows what else is yet to come. I for one im looking at the future with optimism, can't wait to see us compete for the title again. Cheers mate

I've been banging the drum for this youth group since around 2017, the 16/17 and 17/18 sides were the most dominant sides that's existed at that level for some time, we forced pretty much every side we faced (including a City side with Sancho and Foden in it) into setting up like ultra underdogs.

Get the cream of that group in plus the transfers right we're going straight back to the top.

On one hand, I can understand why fans are concerned with how much the club pay for a player but on the other hand, I don't understand why fans are so concerned about it when they aren't the ones who are splashing out the money. :dunno:
I think hes Crap defensively:)

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Tomo said:

Because it has long term consequences if we get it wrong, especially big money one's, we couldn't put our names in the hat for Aguero and peak Falcao because we couldn't financially justify binning Torres so soon. 

That's what makes me nervous about signing Chilwell, in my opinion he's not that much better than Alonso if atall and we'll be stuck with him for years, we would never be able to recoup whatever the hell Leicester would make us pay and Lampard won't have a leg to stand on if he goes to the board and asks for a replacement.

As for the money, it is exactly as you describe. Pay stupid money on him and then you are lumbered with him with the team seriously stuffering for years as you cannot recoup the money. For me a better example than Torres is Kepa, who we are now stuck with for god knows how long because some bright spark thought a funsized, t-rex armed GK would be a good idea at £72m + £9-10m a year for seven years. 

As for Chilwell's ability, I would actually rate Alonso above him as they are both above the same level defensively but Alonso scores and assists a lot more. Personally, I wouldn't even mind the Chilwell links so much if there were not other players about we could get, but with players such as Telles (£20-25m) and Tagliafico (£25m) knocking about a £40-70m transfer for Chilwell is lunacy. 

58 minutes ago, King Kante said:

As for the money, it is exactly as you describe. Pay stupid money on him and then you are lumbered with him with the team seriously stuffering for years as you cannot recoup the money. For me a better example than Torres is Kepa, who we are now stuck with for god knows how long because some bright spark thought a funsized, t-rex armed GK would be a good idea at £72m + £9-10m a year for seven years. 

As for Chilwell's ability, I would actually rate Alonso above him as they are both above the same level defensively but Alonso scores and assists a lot more. Personally, I wouldn't even mind the Chilwell links so much if there were not other players about we could get, but with players such as Telles (£20-25m) and Tagliafico (£25m) knocking about a £40-70m transfer for Chilwell is lunacy. 

I'm a little less nervous about Kepa because of the football we play. Watching a lot of City this season, now they have started falling off and the defense is offering less protection we're seeing a lot of similar flaws in Ederson's game coming home to roost (like Kepa he's getting beat from long range a lot, letting in shots he should be saving, and he isn't great in the air either) which gives me some hope we can challenge for a title with him aslong as the team is fully functioning Infront of him.

1 hour ago, Tomo said:

I'm a little less nervous about Kepa because of the football we play. Watching a lot of City this season, now they have started falling off and the defense is offering less protection we're seeing a lot of similar flaws in Ederson's game coming home to roost (like Kepa he's getting beat from long range a lot, letting in shots he should be saving, and he isn't great in the air either) which gives me some hope we can challenge for a title with him aslong as the team is fully functioning Infront of him.

I see where you are coming from but a better comparison for Kepa is Bravo. For me they are both about the same level. Ederson does have flaws but he is still much better than Kepa/Bravo as at least he can control his six yard box on set pieces where the other two look like 15 year old boys against men.