Chelsea 1 - 3 Real Madrid

13 minutes ago, Pizy said:

I’m annoyed but it’s hard to be too devastated after we won it last season. It’s unbelievably hard to retain this thing. 

When we go out next week I’ll be supporting ANYONE but the English teams. 

yes, even RM

it isn't like them winning CL again matters in the long run

they are always going to be the biggest of the big boy clubs

would so much rather they win it than Pool or Citeh

I fucking hate Bayern too

lol

ffs, what a nightmare quarterfinals draw

Mendy's mistake was the exact copy of the one against Brentford.
In the other two goals I don't think you can blame any individual player, Mendy or Christensen or Thiago. The same for the goals we conceded against Brentford.
It was the defensive formation. Real attackers were having a party. Was that the way Chelsea defended last year in the final against City ?
Somehow Tuchel thought Real was like Orient or Krasnodar.

Just now, Superblue_1986 said:

Not just that but he also got a lot of stick from media and Madrid fans for years that he wasn't deserving of that spot or was an area the club could improve on. He always seemed to be the fall guy for abuse when the team was struggling.

Obviously no taking away from Ronaldo but there's no doubt whatsoever he benefitted from playing alongside Benzema all those years. He's an excellent all round player who has flourished when given the opportunity to be the main man.

and Benz is not a cunt like CR7

he matured a lot since his brat days

I have a hard time hating him or Lewa

just wonderful centre forwards, classic all-time great number 9's

2 minutes ago, Vesper said:

yes, even RM

it isn't like them winning CL again matters in the long run

they are always going to be the biggest of the big boy clubs

would so much rather they win it than Pool or Citeh

I fucking hate Bayern too

lol

ffs, what a nightmare quarterfinals draw

Submarine will lift this cup.

4 minutes ago, Pizy said:

Must be said, btw, that Mendy makes mistakes on a regular basis. He is capable of excellent saves and is as good as anyone with his hands but he makes idiotic decisions quite often with his feet. A dreadful clearance here, coming out of his area and not kicking the ball away there. He’ll punch rather than catch too often.

This is why he will never be more than a very good keeper and not at the truly elite level that Ederson and Allison are at.

If we're talking keepers with their feet there's no competition either between Ederson and Allison in my opinion. Ederson is light years above Allison who is also prone to making mistakes and overplaying.

I always feel that Mendy thinks he's better than he is on the ball. It's not like much is being asked of him either and on the same note he's better with the ball at his feet than the likes of Cech and Courtois are. But he has the likes of Thiago Silva and Rudiger in front of him who are excellent on the ball. Just give it to them! I still want us to play out the back and not just hoof it away but he holds on to the ball too much too often to try and draw a player out and it's a risk for a player who is decent on the ball but not elite.

20 minutes ago, Tomo said:

I actually think we still have a chance if Ancelotti goes as defensive in the second leg as he did in the second half tonight.

Same here. Obviously that third goal is not helping but I can totally see us taking to extra time at the very least.

6 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

If we're talking keepers with their feet there's no competition either between Ederson and Allison in my opinion. Ederson is light years above Allison who is also prone to making mistakes and overplaying.

I always feel that Mendy thinks he's better than he is on the ball. It's not like much is being asked of him either and on the same note he's better with the ball at his feet than the likes of Cech and Courtois are. But he has the likes of Thiago Silva and Rudiger in front of him who are excellent on the ball. Just give it to them! I still want us to play out the back and not just hoof it away but he holds on to the ball too much too often to try and draw a player out and it's a risk for a player who is decent on the ball but not elite.

The player on his right, Thiago, was by far the safest option to pass the ball than Rudiger.
He also miskicked and Rudiger who had a yellow card could not afford to foul Benzema.
Now really, that was from the days of Jugoslavia - Zair 10-0 with commentator Malcolm Allison saying nasty things about Zair.

Edited by cosmicway

1 minute ago, milka said:

This squad doesn’t have the same vibe as it did last season.

With the arrival of Lukaku, everything changed.

Lukaku is definitely sh*t (bring back Pato).
But the defensive formation still intrigues me. Why those open spaces ??? In a match like this Mou would endeavour to secure the clean sheet as the first priority.

1 hour ago, Milan said:

Same here. Obviously that third goal is not helping but I can totally see us taking to extra time at the very least.

In general I wanted the away goal rule to stay but it's what could help us this time.

Also Ancelotti has a habit of allowing big comebacks, an early goal in Spain and its game on.

1 minute ago, Tomo said:

In general I wanted the away goal rule to stay but it's what could help us this time.

Also Ancelotti has a habit of allowing big comebacks, an early goal in Spain and its game on.

Look first of all you have to admit Real Madrid is the eternal team. 
When your grandchildren have grandchildren they will be still winning trophies.
The 4-0 defeat against Barcelona maybe was a blinder as Ancelloti fielded an experimental team.

I don't fancy us. I might slightly if it was 2-3 or stayed 1-2 or a 2-2 draw.
Also I believe Tuchel's system was disastrous. Against Brentford the same, but maybe he did n't care. But tonight ? Allow all those free runs to Madrid ? 

13 minutes ago, Vesper said:

2 key plays fucked us

Mendy's insanity

and asshole Rom missing that absolute sitter

It is really mindboggling. Lukaku always misses it when it would be easier to score

Also, for Mendy, it was almost the same mistake as the one that did go unpunished vs Toney. Even more annoying is: Neuer made almost the same error vs Villareal today as well but Moreno missed.

12 minutes ago, Vesper said:

I would LOVE that

just for the lulz from arse fanbois reactions

🤣

See above.  Villareal don't take their chances when they really should. They are combative and technically well rounded but lack the killer instinct and ability to finish teams off.

Everything points to this being City's year.

13 minutes ago, Vesper said:

2 key plays fucked us

Mendy's insanity

and asshole Rom missing that absolute sitter

There are your sad displays :(  ... I feel it is not just those 2 ... the team collectively is not giving confidence nor seems determined (yes we have few good ones here and there). Looks like everyone is busy trying to sort their future at the club.

Our general play is also so average, transition are not clean and swift, final third there are no runs which allows to create for chances, finishing I think is no longer a breaking thing, pressing is all over, etc etc etc. 

7 minutes ago, Tomo said:

I was thinking the same with the away goal rule. 3-1 at home does not seem as bad this year as it normally would do.

It's a bloody big ask but if we got the first goal over there it really would be game on. 

The weekend game against Southampton though is critical first to give us some breathing space in the league. That's must win and then we can go to Madrid with a bit more confidence but almost a free hit opportunity.