John Terry

chrismada9

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From The Sunday Times July 12, 2009

Chelsea want John Terry to put up or shut up. Roman Abramovich met John Terry yesterday as Chelsea called their captain's bluff over his highly public flirtation with Manchester City. The Russian billionaire will reject a third, £30m-plus bid for their captain this week and has told Terry there is no intention of matching City's offer to double his pay to £250,000 a week.

While Abramovich is ready to make Terry the best-paid player at Stamford Bridge, Chelsea's owner will not go significantly beyond the £150,000-a-week salary granted to Frank Lampard last summer. For his part, Terry is understood to have requested permission to speak openly with City about their plans. Chelsea denied that was the case last night. There have already been significant under-the-table discussions and the England international has asked football dealmaker Chris Nathaniel to help negotiate with City.

Nathaniel already represents Robinho, City's current best-paid player, and Micah Richards. He has previously secured Terry a lucrative book deal, works extensively with his England teammate Rio Ferdinand and last season fronted a Nigerian takeover bid for Newcastle United that came to nothing.

Terry's advisers say he has been disquieted by the time it took Chelsea to contact him after initial news of City's bid broke, and that he has had to wait a week to speak directly with Abramovich. They do not rule out the possibility of the centre-back joining City.

function slideshowPopUp(url) { pictureGalleryPopupPic(url); return false; }

Should Terry decide to place Sheikh Mansour's petrobillions ahead of his frequently stated devotion to Chelsea, the London club will force Terry to hand in a formal transfer request and make clear that the player is the driving force behind a move.

City remain confident that Terry will be their player before the new Premier League season begins. The England captain spent part of a recent holiday in Dubai with Mark Hughes and their manager believes that Terry is unhappy with Chelsea's failure to add top-class players to their squad and a lack of consultation over Carlo Ancelotti's appointment.

When City made their first unsuccessful bid for Terry in January, the player's agent, Aaron Lincoln, was negotiating the transfer of Wayne Bridge to Eastlands. During that period, Terry had expressed his discontent with the training methods of Luiz Felipe Scolari, Chelsea manager at the time, and a message was sent to City that the central defender "wanted out".

Hughes is in the market for two centre-backs and has calculated that Terry can reinforce his defence, providing leadership to what has been an often fragile team while satisfying his employer's desire for a star signing. City's decision on Friday to withdraw an offer for Barcelona striker Samuel Eto'o was believed to be partly motivated by their belief that Terry will go through with his exit from Chelsea.

Chelsea believe Terry is using City's overtures as a means of further improving his financial position and status at Stamford Bridge, and that the 29-year-old has no serious interest of leaving.

It would certainly be politically difficult for Terry to be seen as the instigator of a move away from a club with whom he has fashioned a public image of slavish loyalty. Talking in February about City's initial bid for him, Terry said: "Chelsea told me what had happened as a courtesy. I was very happy with their reaction, as mine would have been the same. I have always said that I want to end my career at the club which I love and we all see no reason why that cannot happen."

Though Terry has had several injuries in recent seasons, Chelsea continue to insist he is "not for sale at any price". The club are, however, mindful of dealings with Terry over his last contract talks in 2007, when he signed a five-year deal.

During those negotiations, Terry asked for a 10-year contract that included a clause guaranteeing he would be the club's best-paid player for the duration of the deal. The defender also wanted an option to become Chelsea's manager when he retired from playing

Edited by changingman2000

If Terry wants money, he can say bye bye t Chelsea. Let Lampard lift the Champions League come next May while Terry can sit in his Mansion built by Petrobillions and watch us go bonkers.

And yes, Lets make sure if terry leaves we make the most of the transfer. 40million I say.

well... yeah, after all, it is paper talk

but how could he turn his back on his boyhood club, he's always wanted to stay here, he's always wanted to lift the Champions League trophy with us.

But no... money always fucking talks doesn't it <_<

well... yeah, after all, it is paper talk

but how could he turn his back on his boyhood club, he's always wanted to stay here, he's always wanted to lift the Champions League trophy with us.

But no... money always fucking talks doesn't it <_<

We should let him go for 40 million pounds. He has had bad injury problems in the last 2 seasons sell him please.

I think some of us are worrying a bit too much. If and that's a big if we sell JT it will be for huge money. Money that could bring us in some younger talent. I am the last one that wants to see JT go. But also I don't believe the shitty red top papers that spew this drivel on a daily basis. We have been 'also rans' for the last couple of years, but also rans are still head and shoulders above a team that has done nothing for decades. C'mon JT climb up on top of the shed and shout it from the rooftops " I am the Blue's Captain and I will be until I retire" That will put an end to all this bollocks. Stay where your heart is JT, if its possible your blue army may even love you more.

According to News of the World,he beleives City are two players short of competing for a CL spot which is helping him make the decison...that just made it so wtf.

Just let them have their fun.Until JT says himself he wants to move/doesnt want to then see what happens

Immo anywaynon the whole thing seems a case of City wanting him for his leadership skills more then anything.Mean big names etc,they've qulaified for nothing so need someone to boost things a bit...

What pisses me off, is that these bunch of Arabs can just wave a bunch of notes in front of anyone's noses, no matter how loyal they are to their clubs, and they can just attract them over. They did it with Gareth Barry, when he was a one man club with Aston Villa, they'll do it with other world class players, and they're not even in the Champions League!!

I'm going to hate Terry if he goes for the money, but I'm going to hate the smug looking faces on those Arabs who attracted my hero over there! BASTARDS! :mad:

These arabs are toying with the Premier League and I don't like it!!

Edited by CJ Revo

Exactly!Man City aint in the Europa? League or whatever its called and Barry was annoyed at the fact Aston Villa hadnt qulaified for Cl so he goes there..money money

They say he having chats with Man City but that doesnt mean its chats about the fact he wants to go there...could be a fuck off/thank you for the intrest or nothing at all..

.He said a while back he wants to be manager of Chelsea so why..

Every summer needs a transfer sega/big story and this time round tis lucky ole us

Edited by Laylabelle

Disappointed with JT.

What for?

To us we don't know what he has done or not done, to our knowledge he could have shown the middle finger to the offer, we haven't really got any input from Terry himself.

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You