Chelsea 3-1 Southampton

ZAPHOD2319

“I was more frustrated to have the second goal taken away from us for almost no reason. If you score a second before half-time, you probably see the game off but at only 1-0, there is a danger they can come back into it.

“I did not see it as a foul from Azpi. We had talks here before the season where everybody said we want to go back to “English football” and not give fouls all the time for soft touches. It was raining, people were slipping and the passage of play had moved onto into a second and third phase before the goal so that’s why I was frustrated because we went back to something that was not the decisive action for the goal. I have zero understanding of why this goal was disallowed.”

-Thomas Tuchel; source: Chelsea FC

58 minutes ago, NikkiCFC said:

“I was more frustrated to have the second goal taken away from us for almost no reason. If you score a second before half-time, you probably see the game off but at only 1-0, there is a danger they can come back into it.

“I did not see it as a foul from Azpi. We had talks here before the season where everybody said we want to go back to “English football” and not give fouls all the time for soft touches. It was raining, people were slipping and the passage of play had moved onto into a second and third phase before the goal so that’s why I was frustrated because we went back to something that was not the decisive action for the goal. I have zero understanding of why this goal was disallowed.”

-Thomas Tuchel; source: Chelsea FC

There were 18-19 seconds between the foul and goal. Fucking joke they went back that far!

42 minutes ago, MoroccanBlue said:

Going back 20 seconds for a very soft challenge to rule out the second goal. 

That and also the fact VAR has effectively become a time machine. They go back minutes after a goal, pretty much erasing all that has happened from that moment to the goal. It's a very silly thing and I hope they change that in the future.

Gotta mention Livramento, he plays very mature every week at Soton despite joining them few months ago without one single professional performance. Good choice for him to leave, good choice for us to set buyback option. I can see as activate it soon.

First off, thought we were very poor. A big team would have thrashed us today.

Werner, poor in the first half. Got it together later. 

Thought CHO was good, didn't want to see him subbed. Was one of the few dangerous players for us going forward.

Rudiger was immense today, as was Silva.

Chillwell... ultimate hot and cold in one game, and I don't really care about the penalty. JUST SO MANY MISTAKES... Just doesn't look anywhere near as good as he used to. 

Kovacic is class. 

We aren't dealing with presses very well. RLC is a great press buster, but he losses the ball instantly due to the fact he runs with his head down and has no vision. Million dollar moves, two cent finish. 

Lukaku doesn't get enough service, but he is a lazy player that makes it difficult for us to get out. 

Just need to figure out something that will work if Lukaku has to be on the pitch every game. Especially against bigger teams. 

Perfect weekend - We were the only team starting in the top 10 before this weekend's games that didn't drop points.

It feels like the game played out today will be gushed upon for a while and Liverpool and City will go back to being considered the favourites for the league this season, putting us back into a position where we can be the third wheel again and hopefully have a few weeks going under the radar a little, just at the time that our fixture list, on paper, becomes a lot more appealing.

We still look a work in progress with Tuchel trying to get the right balance in attack with Lukaku, and the rest of the attacking players blowing hot and cold so far. I can't help but feel that the attacking chemistry will improve over time. For now though, we've had as hard a season start as anybody else and are top of the league, second highest goal scorers (averaging over 2 goals a game) whilst having the joint best defensive record (3 goals conceded being 2 penalties and a heavily deflected goal). 

Considering most of us would admit to feeling that we're nowhere near playing at 100% currently, I think we should be delighted with how good the season has started, results wise, so far.

Chelsea next  5 games :

Brentford  (A) ,  Norwich (H) ,  Newcastle (A) , Burnley (H) , Leicester (A)

Liverpool next 5 games :

Watford (A) ,  Man Utd (A) , Brighton (H) ,  West Ham (A) ,  Arsenal (H)

City next 5 games :

Burnley (H) ,  Brighton (A) ,  Crystal Palace (H) ,  Man Utd. (A) , Everton (H)