Barnsley 0-1 Chelsea

Jase

57 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Tonight yes but how was Sheffield a "horror show"?

I know they're bottom but that's mainly because they struggle to score, they've competed well and made it tough for every big six team this season, even City could only manage a pair of 1-0's against them.

You think we played decent against SU? It was a horrid performance, could barely string a few passes between midfield and attack

5 hours ago, Blue Armour said:

Haaland. 

Or at least someone like him. There's a reason why only strikers like Drogba & Costa have succeeded at Chelsea in recent years.

That's because we played a style that requires a target man, a physical central striker, a classic #9, I guess. Any time we tried to deviate from that type of striker, they have struggled. Seeing as how to we are trying to play a more possession based game in recent years, there's probably more chance now for a different type of striker to succeed. Plus, a lot of the other big sides around Europe have shown that you don't need a target man to be successful at the highest level. There are more ways to skin a cat. 

4 hours ago, DANILA said:

You think we played decent against SU? It was a horrid performance, could barely string a few passes between midfield and attack

No team is gonna be able to play well in every game and given how often we have dropped points when we simply do not play well, Sunday's result was at least an encouragement in that we are able to eek out a win while not being at our best. 

6 hours ago, Blue Armour said:

Thanks for showing this.

The BBC commentators were adamant that we got away with robbery., that I was almost convinced.

Well, F them considering we were denied a blatant penalty as well in the first half. 

8 hours ago, DANILA said:

It was no "worse" than the runaway leaders performance vs them on their own patch the week before.

It wasn't the greatest display granted but given the circumstances (cold night in Yorkshire vs a side very well coached in defending/frustrating) it wasn't "horrid", far from it.

52 minutes ago, Tomo said:

It was no "worse" than the runaway leaders performance vs them on their own patch the week before.

It wasn't the greatest display granted but given the circumstances (cold night in Yorkshire vs a side very well coached in defending/frustrating) it wasn't "horrid", far from it.

Also the same Sheffield United side that beat United at Old Trafford before that City game. 

11 hours ago, Blue Armour said:

Haaland. 

Or at least someone like him. There's a reason why only strikers like Drogba & Costa have succeeded at Chelsea in recent years.

do not forget Jimmy Floyd!

baller

Jimmy-Floyd-Hasselbaink2.jpg

Edited by Vesper

18 hours ago, Jason said:

That's because we played a style that requires a target man, a physical central striker, a classic #9, I guess. Any time we tried to deviate from that type of striker, they have struggled. Seeing as how to we are trying to play a more possession based game in recent years, there's probably more chance now for a different type of striker to succeed. Plus, a lot of the other big sides around Europe have shown that you don't need a target man to be successful at the highest level. There are more ways to skin a cat. 

I'm hoping we can learn to be more successful with a different type of striker. The problem is that currently our supporting players are not able to make decisive passes quickly enough in the final third. A striker like Torres or Timo need to be fed quickly enough with passes directly to their feet, because you can't expect to lump the ball to them and make something of it.  I've seen Havertz do it on occasion (but he has a whole bunch of issues I don't want to bring up in this topic), and I'm hoping Gilmour can become better at it., same with Mount.