Mikel John Obi

Badboy

Mikel and Makelele are ridiculously similar in their role and function for the team. The difference is that Makelele is a fashionable name to throw around, whereas Mikel is simply the guy that does the donkey-work. Ridiculously under-appreciated. He might offer little offensively but when you have error-prone lunatics like Luiz and Cahill that have infantile concentration spans, the guy that does the donkey-work is bloody important.

To me, Mikel back passes too much. He's strong and it's hard to get the ball off him, but his back passes drive me mad. Players like Busquets are in a different league to him, I think we can do much better than Obi. Dreaming of the days when we were the best with Makelele, Essien, Ballack and Lamps

Mikel and Makelele are ridiculously similar in their role and function for the team. The difference is that Makelele is a fashionable name to throw around, whereas Mikel is simply the guy that does the donkey-work. Ridiculously under-appreciated. He might offer little offensively but when you have error-prone lunatics like Luiz and Cahill that have infantile concentration spans, the guy that does the donkey-work is bloody important.

Yeah, because Makelele sounds all French and stuff.

:doh:

No where near similar in their roles.

Mikel would offer alot more with a proper holding midfielder next to him, or in a fucking 4-3-3 for that matter.

To me, Mikel back passes too much. He's strong and it's hard to get the ball off him, but his back passes drive me mad. Players like Busquets are in a different league to him, I think we can do much better than Obi. Dreaming of the days when we were the best with Makelele, Essien, Ballack and Lamps

You are forgetting that pussycats plays with Barcelona who have the best off the ball movement in the world (or used to) while our front four stand behind two lines of opposition players and expect the ball to reach their feet. Mikel's job is to keep possession, and no one in front of him makes himself available he is forced to pass back instead of playing a pass that we are almost certain to lose.

We have three very promising cdm's right now in nat ake,nat chalobah and oriol romeu so mikel will face more competition in the future not to mention we may sign a new cdm in summer.

Either Mikel will take his game to the next level OR one of our very promising midfielders will take over his position in the team.

It's a win-win situation for Chelsea in the long term...

thats what mikel needs, competition... ake was playing well, really nice match of him, but I now exactly how over the moon we've been with josh against Newcastle... and I rate them higher than boro... but nontheless... Chalobah is great too, Ake is more of an terry like defender, composed and a good feet but still a defender... we will see, Drogs was a LB... :)

The term or responsibility of their role might be the same but one was world class performing it the other is leagues away from that standard, unfortunately we still got the wrong one playing for us.

I cannot be agree with you mate, here.

Sergio Busquets and Mikel aren't on the same page. The first one is World-Class while the latter is not. And I am a person who sparsely uses such a label. And acknowledging that does not take away anything from Mikel's abilities.

That's true that the spanish is surrounded by better teammates, but still.

Mikel has a very good accuracy in his passing game, however in my opinion Sergio's passing game is better. Into my eyes Busquets is one of the finest passer at the moment. I fail to see a lot of players better/as good as him in this department. His short passes are exceptional ; his long passes impeccable. I also believe that he has much more awarness than Mikel regarding his positioning and off-ball game — and this both from the defensive and attacking aspects (which makes him pretty good at defending). But the biggest difference, I believe, is concerning the speed of reaction and the speed of thought. Indeed. To my belief Sergio is the best on-touch passer in the game right-now. He doesn't need to take 5+ steps on the ball and 5 seconds to pass the ball. He reacts quickly and that doesn't afect the accuracy of his passes — there are nailed on.

He has played a big role into Barcelona and Spain recent success. He doesn't get the recognitions he deserves. He is significantly better than Mikel. And I do not base my judgment upon one or two games, nor upon some youtube videos. I am basing my view upon 100+ games.

Here's a showcase of what he can do.

I was not denying that that Busquets is world class, or that he is better than Mikel, much better. I don't think anyone can deny he is the best in the world at what he does and that's coming from someone who hates his cheating guts! I actually agree with everything you said above but what I was trying to say in the first post is that you can't expect Mikel (Srgio himself) to play as well as Busquets does for Barcelona. My point was that we have a serious issue in terms of off the ball movement and that Mikel, or any other DM we play is being criticized for the front four's lack of movement.