• Willian
    • Pulisic
    • Abraham
    • Batshuayi (sub)
    • Emerson (sub)
    • Mount (sub)

43 minutes ago, Tomo said:

It depends on the night.

I feel it's a little harsh to say if we play like we did tonight or at home Vs Ajax we would get hammered, while that's technically true I can flip that round and say if we play like we did in Amsterdam and Istanbul we have a chance against almost anyone, which is also true.

The reality is we're an inconsistent team right now and we won't be troubling Liverpool and City in the title race for that reason, however if our 'on' nights can fall on CL ties you just never know, if Tottenham's stagnant side can make the final it's certainly not completely beyond our reach.

I did not watch our game against Ajax but against pool in istambul, the moment firmino came on, it was all pool. 

Of course in UCL with luck anything can happen. I am just not confident. 

For me against big team, we are exposed sefensively. Teams can create chances when they want to with us. So if we come to play against big team thinking, we can create so it is fine that they can create,  we will lose more than we win. We have Willian who is not clincal, and two kids up front, it is just suicide to play toe to toe. 

If the mindset, then we will sign a RW next season who is clinical, so it is fine. Sure if the winger is basically Willian with better number, absolutely, if the winger is a direct winger, it means even less control. 

7 hours ago, communicate said:

I disagree. I like kante + Kovacic midfield. Other than from set pieces, I didn't feel like conceding at all. We were extremely secure everywhere 

Judging by your subsequent replies, I'm guessing you're basing that off on the Palace game. It was only one game though and it was against a defensive side anyway. I could equally point out the Watford game (Jorginho + Kovacic) and to an extent, the Newcastle & Brighton (Jorginho + Barkley) games where we totally bossed it and gave next to nothing away. In any case, I hope we go back to the pivot midfield for the upcoming games - whether Jorginho/Kovacic + Kante or Jorginho + Kovacic. The midfield 3 of Jorginho/Kovacic/Kante just don't do enough going forward and aren't too great as well defensively. 

10 hours ago, Tomo said:

The change to the seeding system has made finishing 1st and 2nd more of an even playing field than it use to be.

While you're not exactly wrong, it looks much worse to finish 2nd in the group this season.

GROUP WINNERS
PSG
Bayern Munich
Man City
Juventus
Liverpool/Napoli/RB Salzburg
Barcelona
Leipzig/Zenit/Lyon

GROUP RUNNERS-UP
Real Madrid
Spurs
Shakhtar/Dinamo Zagreb/Atalanta
Atletico/Leverkusen
Inter/Dortmund
Leipzig/Zenit/Lyon

2 hours ago, Jason said:

While you're not exactly wrong, it looks much worse to finish 2nd in the group this season.

GROUP WINNERS
PSG
Bayern Munich
Man City
Juventus
Barcelona
Leipzig/Zenit/Lyon

GROUP RUNNERS-UP
Real Madrid
Spurs
Atletico/Leverkusen
Inter/Dortmund
Leipzig/Zenit/Lyon

It's in Chelsea's hands now and if you think about it Chelsea can still finish first with a win v Lille and if Valencia get the three points v Ajax which I don't think they will because Ajax are a level above, but everything is possible. Bottom line is with a win Chelsea is through no matter what, even with a draw should Ajax win v Valencia. 

Last 16 it's only by February and a lot can happen until then, strange things have happened in a very strange competition such as CL - look no further than some months ago when a poor Man United side have knocked out Paris. 

But we're not in this competition to win it, for me I guess it is important for this squad and for Lampard to face this kind of matches like the one in Valencia or the one v Ajax in London - it can only help a young manager and a young squad to grow. 

5 minutes ago, milan.cech said:

There is only one way of us topping the group - us beating Lille while Ajax and Valencia sharing a draw. Which could happen, considering Valencia will have to go to Amsterdam to win the game (assuming we beat Lille).

knowing this club, we are in store for more drama at the Bridge <_<

No disrespect to Lille but if we can't beat them at home, then we don't deserve to go through.
I agree but they could easily have beaten Ajax Amsterdam in Amsterdam, so we should be worried, especially when players like Azpi will never get benched

Gesendet von meinem SM-G920F mit Tapatalk

I'm still absolutely baffled how Kepa was beaten easily again for that second goal
Even if he had 20 cm longer arms, he would not have gotten that goal. Such goals happen all the time and no keeper saves them.

Still a shit Performance by Kepa

24 minutes ago, killer1257 said:

I agree but they could easily have beaten Ajax Amsterdam in Amsterdam, so we should be worried, especially when players like Azpi will never get benched

But Azpi got benched against Palace? :carlo: The problem is we don't have great full back options right now. Between Azpi, Emerson and Alonso, Azpi is still arguably the most dependable of the lot.

Anyway, not sure why you singled out Azpi. If we perform the way we did in the last 2 CL games against Lille, we'll likely get KOed. The whole team needs to do better. Lampard needs to set up the team better. 

7 hours ago, communicate said:

I did not watch our game against Ajax but against pool in istambul, the moment firmino came on, it was all pool. 

Of course in UCL with luck anything can happen. I am just not confident. 

For me against big team, we are exposed sefensively. Teams can create chances when they want to with us. So if we come to play against big team thinking, we can create so it is fine that they can create,  we will lose more than we win. We have Willian who is not clincal, and two kids up front, it is just suicide to play toe to toe. 

If the mindset, then we will sign a RW next season who is clinical, so it is fine. Sure if the winger is basically Willian with better number, absolutely, if the winger is a direct winger, it means even less control. 

They had about a 15 minute spell in and around their equaliser where they really turned it on and we couldn't live with them but beyond that we were more than a match.

But Azpi got benched against Palace? :carlo: The problem is we don't have great full back options right now. Between Azpi, Emerson and Alonso, Azpi is still arguably the most dependable of the lot.
Anyway, not sure why you singled out Azpi. If we perform the way we did in the last 2 CL games against Lille, we'll likely get KOed. The whole team needs to do better. Lampard needs to set up the team better. 
Lamps said he wanted to rest him and give RJ some minutes for Palace.

Azpi for me was the worst Defender on the pitch. Almost all crosses that Valencia made came from his side and I do not even know where Azpi was. Poor Kovacic had to cover his position all the time.
Azpi does not offer defensive stability nor offensive improvement.
I hope Lamps loses his favouritism towards Azpi. Reminds me a little bit of Mou and Ivanovic.

4 hours ago, Jason said:

GROUP WINNERS
PSG
Bayern Munich
Man City
Juventus
Barcelona
Leipzig/Zenit/Lyon

GROUP RUNNERS-UP
Real Madrid
Spurs
Atletico/Leverkusen
Inter/Dortmund
Leipzig/Zenit/Lyon

Real, Atletico and Inter will probably be just as hard as any of the group winners on current form. Either way the odds of dodging a killer last 16 tie ain't great.

51 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Real, Atletico and Inter will probably be just as hard as any of the group winners on current form. Either way the odds of dodging a killer last 16 tie ain't great.

But compare to PSG, Bayern, Juventus and Barcelona, Atletico and Inter are somewhat more manageable, IMO. More "easier" teams lurking as group runners-up than winners.

1 hour ago, killer1257 said:

Lamps said he wanted to rest him and give RJ some minutes for Palace.

Pretty sure Lampard's main reason was James had been impressing and he decided to play him. Resting Azpi was the secondary reason - perhaps a diplomatic response of dropping him on the back of that 4-4 draw with Ajax. 

1 hour ago, killer1257 said:

Azpi for me was the worst Defender on the pitch. Almost all crosses that Valencia made came from his side and I do not even know where Azpi was. Poor Kovacic had to cover his position all the time.
Azpi does not offer defensive stability nor offensive improvement.

Azpi's defensive performances over the last 2 months or so have generally been fine, this after a bad start. But of course, no one said anything. One not so good performance and suddenly people are getting their pitchforks out again. People thought he would struggle against Sterling at the weekend but he kept him quiet and did a solid defensive job but no one said anything. Was Azpi really the worst last night? Could make a case for Zouma or Christensen. The biggest question/problem, if anything, is why did Lampard suddenly change the entire back 4 last night for a key game? They played like strangers instead of a unit, made worse by the fact that they got no defensive protection whatsoever from the midfield. 

20 hours ago, Yeboii said:

Surprised to see Tomori out, but Christensen is so good that I have no worries.

So is Christensen so good? 

Just continue to show that our cb options are woeful. 

Waiting for transfer to open to see who we can get..