• Barkley
    • Mount
    • Pulisic
    • Abraham
    • Willian (sub)
    • Gilmour (sub)
    • Batshuayi (sub)

9 hours ago, Bosnian Blue said:

Thank fuck Lamps didn't sub a defender on even if it means we lost two points now. I am sick of that Mourinho spirit still surrounding the club. 

Lol even pep brought in defender or Fernandinho when he try to seal win. Everyone does this. 

23 hours ago, Superblue_1986 said:

At what point have I said to play youth for the sake of it?

My point is that it's easy to manage in hindsight. We could all do that given the opportunity.

I'm not even saying that Lampard was right in his decision and there will be a learning process still for him, let alone our younger players.

I'm simply arguing your point that the sub made no sense. Gilmour was the closest player profile on the bench to Kovacic to play in the midfield and as I said on a previous post, Lampard at the time has possibly decided that he didn't want to invite more pressure in the last 10 minutes by throwing another defender on and instead hoped bringing on fresh legs in the midfield and being someone comfortable in possession was the better way to approach the situation to try and wrestle back possession and control of the game. It's an alternative and more positive way of trying to see the game out. 

It hasn't worked this time hence the criticism of the choice, but I can understand Lampard's thinking and I can respect his positive approach to the situation.

Again it has nothing to with hindsight. If Lamp brought in defender and we still lose, I won't blame Lamp for his sub at all. 

There is no way you expect Billy Gilmour to come at the 84 min to wrestle the game for Sheffield. 

The only explanation that I can think of with michy and Billy sub is Lamp think that we can score one more goal. 

1 hour ago, communicate said:

All sub are a bit of head scratcher, it made us somewhat more offensive rather more defensive which is weird. It feel like Lamp think that we can score more. 

Chelsea should never protect one goal lead against teams like Sheffield at home. 

9 hours ago, NikkiCFC said:

Chelsea should never protect one goal lead against teams like Sheffield at home. 

We cannot protect it - history has proven it time and time again.

It's not the players it's a mental thing - we are so mentally weak as a team it's scary.

We really need to work on that 

10 hours ago, NikkiCFC said:

I don't understand why some of you act with soooooo much arrogance towards these clubs. It's not me and you or some other Sunday League folks that Chelsea have blown a 2 nil lead against, in the end it's a PL club and the fact they are not named Man City does not mean they are useless. It's not the name on the badge playing, it's the people on the pitch and Sheffield have faced an attacking trio of 20 year olds (Mount, Tammy and Pulisic) playing - such as Sheffield's players - their first PL matches, a hit and miss midfielder - and average at best if you ask me - (Barkley) and a defence of two below par guys (Zouma and Azpilicueta) and a youngster (Tomori). 

This was not Lampard, Drogba, Terry, Ashley Cole's Chelsea that have blown a two goal lead, it's simply a new, very young and inexperienced one and definitely not light years ahead of clubs like Sheffield United as some of you like to think. In three or four years maybe, if these young guys follow their projected trajectory, but at the moment we can't hope for free points just because the name is Chelsea FC. 

53 minutes ago, Muzchap said:

We cannot protect it - history has proven it time and time again.

It's not the players it's a mental thing - we are so mentally weak as a team it's scary.

We really need to work on that 

More and more turning to Arsenal in latter Wenger years......shameful.

1 minute ago, petre.ispirescu said:

I don't understand why some of you act with soooooo much arrogance towards these clubs. It's not me and you or some other Sunday League folks that Chelsea have blown a 2 nil lead against, in the end it's a PL club and the fact they are not named Man City does not mean they are useless. It's not the name on the badge playing, it's the people on the pitch and Sheffield have faced an attacking trio of 20 year olds (Mount, Tammy and Pulisic) playing - such as Sheffield's players - their first PL matches, a hit and miss midfielder - and average at best if you ask me - (Barkley) and a defence of two below par guys (Zouma and Azpilicueta) and a youngster (Tomori). 

This was not Lampard, Drogba, Terry, Ashley Cole's Chelsea that have blown a two goal lead, it's simply a new, very young and inexperienced one and definitely not light years ahead of clubs like Sheffield United as some of you like to think. In three or four years maybe, if these young guys follow their projected trajectory, but at the moment we can't hope for free points just because the name is Chelsea FC. 

Yeah I can dig that......no such thing as an easy 3pts unless your city with pep plus unlimited cash, or pool who have had klopp for 5 seasons and backed him with HIS players. Its a process, but sadly I cant see the board spend quality money on quality players that suit our style, shit in 2 years Frank may not even be here. We have essentially gone way too stale to fight the big boys in europe.

25 minutes ago, Atomiswave said:

Yeah I can dig that......no such thing as an easy 3pts unless your city with pep plus unlimited cash, or pool who have had klopp for 5 seasons and backed him with HIS players. Its a process, but sadly I cant see the board spend quality money on quality players that suit our style, shit in 2 years Frank may not even be here. We have essentially gone way too stale to fight the big boys in europe.

You are right at this point there is not even a debate where we at compared to the big clubs, but if you want my two cents on what is going to happen next summer well I believe we'll be in for a couple of marquee signings, ban is going to be over, the money is there, maybe not Mbappe level type of transfers, but quality ones, like Mane type of transfers, or Salah, you know what I mean? Does not mean it has to be attacking players, I just gave an example of a footballer profile, quality players that would go right into the first team and improve it instantly. 

Klopp finished 8th in his first season and 4th the next two seasons, only to be challenging for the title in his 4th season after he got his squad all settled and truly ready to roll. 

There are two routes to football glory and those are the Man City route and the project route and we seem to have taken to second one and frankly it takes time. Klopp is a more accomplished manager than Frank Lampard and it took him three years to hit the jackpot. 

22 hours ago, Jason said:

He brought Alonso on at Norwich to see out the game and we won. Did you say anything then?

And this isn't or shouldn't be about the 'Mourinho spirit'. It's a matter of reading the game, recognizing the situation and making the right adjustments to get the wins. Even the best managers like Guardiola, Klopp have made pragmatic changes to see out wins. A tiny bit of pragmatism wouldn't hurt. 

No, right now its about instilling the right mentality and mindset. These young lads need to understand how to become winners week in week out. Against sides like Sheffield United especially at home, Chelsea should always be going for the 3rd goal, or 4th, 5th... Yes Klopp and Guardiola do rarely make those sorts of subs but the goal is always to score as many as you can, kill the game and not to give opponents a chance to have a go at you and invite the pressure on. 

Re Norwich, sorry couldn't watch the second half

Zouma and Azpi are very poor at the minute, I don"t know how Rüdiger and James will look after they come back but at least we've got those options. Also Jorginho is still not good enough defensively. We might need a proper holding midfielder after the ban expires.

26 minutes ago, petre.ispirescu said:

You are right at this point there is not even a debate where we at compared to the big clubs, but if you want my two cents on what is going to happen next summer well I believe we'll be in for a couple of marquee signings, ban is going to be over, the money is there, maybe not Mbappe level type of transfers, but quality ones, like Mane type of transfers, or Salah, you know what I mean? Does not mean it has to be attacking players, I just gave an example of a footballer profile, quality players that would go right into the first team and improve it instantly. 

Klopp finished 8th in his first season and 4th the next two seasons, only to be challenging for the title in his 4th season after he got his squad all settled and truly ready to roll. 

There are two routes to football glory and those are the Man City route and the project route and we seem to have taken to second one and frankly it takes time. Klopp is a more accomplished manager than Frank Lampard and it took him three years to hit the jackpot. 

I agree mate, it will take its time. I just hope we pull it off, I hope Lamps pull it off. But we def need to show ambition, as you said the revenue is there, we need players that can walk in and improve us. Stop this BS with average players to fill the squad with tosh, we will be hit hard that way as we have seen and will take a hard effort to rectify.

1 hour ago, Bosnian Blue said:

No, right now its about instilling the right mentality and mindset. These young lads need to understand how to become winners week in week out. Against sides like Sheffield United especially at home, Chelsea should always be going for the 3rd goal, or 4th, 5th... Yes Klopp and Guardiola do rarely make those sorts of subs but the goal is always to score as many as you can, kill the game and not to give opponents a chance to have a go at you and invite the pressure on. 

In general yes but as I said, it's about recognizing the situation and making the right adjustments. Not saying we should just go defensive from the start, score a goal and then shut up shop. We didn't play well at all against Sheffield United. We went 2-0 up but profited from some horrible mistakes. We didn't create any clear cut chances or even put them under any sort of sustained pressure. But we were leading 2-1 with minutes to go and struggling to cope against them, especially our right side. Make pragmatic changes to make sure we see out the win. Being able to dig in and get wins when we don't play well is just as important to instilling a winning mentality as going for the jugular against the smaller teams. 

On 8/31/2019 at 7:57 PM, Muzchap said:

Still cannot believe the overreaction on here.

Have to agree mate. Once the dust has settled following our capitulation on Saturday, lets look at things in a harsh light

We lost some very good(and not so good) players in the summer.

We lost a manager.

We got an inexperienced manager. (at this level)

we had an ageing side.

We cant buy to strengthen

we have to rely on youth and inexperienced players.

And our Board did not have a back-up plan once the ban was enforced

Although I was annoyed on Saturday, I will be happy with a top 8 finish this season. We cant compete with City and Liverpool, we now see Wolves and Everton away as very dicey fixtures where a draw would be well received. Leicester ran us ragged in the second half and we were lucky to escape with a draw.  Anything off Spurs or Arsenal will be a bonus and United have already thumped us 4-0. And we wont mention what Bournemouth did to us last year. So top eight is realistic, but only just. Anything more will be a bonus.

But then again I'm an eternal pessimist :blush:

Recce cant come fast enough, we really need his speed and power on either end of the pitch, and I bet he wouldnt be out of place in midfield. Jose said it, Conte said it, you cant build anything unless you have a defence that can cope. Pep saw that in epl, and then went and bought for over 200M worth of defenders in 1 window alone. After that you need to have disciplin to sustain any damage coming our way. Recce, Kante and Rudi will do us lots of good that way.....we need our players back or pts we will lose. I wouldnt mind JT back helping Lamps out for defensive abilities.

Missing Rudiger and Kante has been a big blow.  And we've integrated so much youth which is great, but we also have some deficiencies that we need to improve next open window for us.  All that aside the hard part for me to watch is how dominant we can look for stretches of the game and then completely let our foot off the gas pedal.  A team like City might be able to get away with that because of the quality they have all over the pitch and even on the bench.  We're not good enough to do that.  Hoping for a fresh start across the board after the international break.

On 9/1/2019 at 10:17 AM, Jason said:

I'm serious...why?

Mainly because Lamps and big chunk of the team is realy inexperienced. Last year for example or before with Sarri and Conte both had fairly experienced players and stuff like this was not tolerated.

But my level of forgiveness to current young crop is slightly bigger, hence I cant be pissed that much.

I knew from the start this wont be a good season if you check results, but it could be good season from player development.

And Tammy, Mount, Emerson...soon likely RLC and Odoi will develop nicely.

It will be our foundation for the next few years.

People may see shit results this season, but I see good performances from Tammy and Mount. This season is all about players like them IMO.