Billy Gilmour

the wes

2 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

Not sure on the ins and outs for athletes but I don’t think there is a criteria to not take it so to speak. For sure now, its much more of a personal choice now as the governments are all encouraging folk to get them and obviously there is the conspiracy theories claiming “microchipping” or whatever things people will believe but I doubt footballers are really that daft (although could be wrong…) 😂

They did prioritise older age groups or folk with existing health problems or who were more vulnerable due to their age and also NHS staff, who were more susceptible to being at risk due to being exposed to personnel with it at the beginning. I mean professional athletes/elite sportsmen&women are in bubbles (or should be) as per the government’s guidelines and their relevant countries & footballing associations so obviously they should be less exposed if these are any good but you’d still think they’d still want their players and staff to get vaccines but obviously I doubt its in their hands, more the individuals themselves.

I don’t think being a footballer would accelerate getting the vaccine though. It seemed more an age or health condition thing in terms of priority. If it were possible you’d have thought clubs and national teams would have asked players to get vaccinated as soon as they could do so but even then you can still get it, not show symptoms and give it to someone who isn’t vaccinated. 

In the UK, older teens have only been getting a vaccine for one or two weeks (correct me if I am wrong someone) and I am pretty sure athletes do not have priority. Obviously he probably could have had it in that time but it may have been too late anyway. Furthermore, Scotland are based in the UK and are very likely not to play a game outside of the UK (they're going out tomorrow) so I can imagine, with the short window he had, he and Scotland/his team thought get it after the Euros in case you're one of the very unlucky ones who has a side effect. 

Sounds pretty likely and logical to me. I think he has just been a bit unlucky. 

23 minutes ago, King Kante said:

In the UK, older teens have only been getting a vaccine for one or two weeks (correct me if I am wrong someone) and I am pretty sure athletes do not have priority. Obviously he probably could have had it in that time but it may have been too late anyway. Furthermore, Scotland are based in the UK and are very likely not to play a game outside of the UK (they're going out tomorrow) so I can imagine, with the short window he had, he and Scotland/his team thought get it after the Euros in case you're one of the very unlucky ones who has a side effect. 

Sounds pretty likely and logical to me. I think he has just been a bit unlucky. 

Yeah not sure what deal is in England, Wales, Ireland & N Ireland but up here think they’re finally getting round to early-mid 20s depending on area. Maybe last month or 3 weeks or so. 

Is unlucky and don't to go all Roy Keane on about the situation but surely could have been avoidable for Mount and Chilwell. although, maybe not. Not seen a great deal of players embracing like that in other games. Except for the Belgium Denmark game on 10th minute. Although yeah its a weird one haha.

The vaccination situation is weird indeed. UK are relatively advanced in the vaccination campaign so i wonder whether footballers are not priority group 3. I got my vaccinated despite being priority group 3/4 a few days after calling my doc shortly before the prioritisation was abandoned. Surely someone must have thought of that before the euros.

27 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

The vaccination situation is weird indeed. UK are relatively advanced in the vaccination campaign so i wonder whether footballers are not priority group 3. I got my vaccinated despite being priority group 3/4 a few days after calling my doc shortly before the prioritisation was abandoned. Surely someone must have thought of that before the euros.

If people were thinking they would've done the logical thing and moved the Euros to one country. Either pick one country that was hosting this year or give it to Germany and have this ridiculous one where everyone one is travelling around in 2024. 

13 minutes ago, Jas said:

Here is hoping but again, someone can say “real thoughts been put into the loan” but we won’t really know to we see Farke’s first few selections in competitive games but theres a few Scottish lads (Grant Hanley and Kenny McLean) at Norwich and they do try to play with Farke so it’s promising.

And even then, isn’t “real thought” not meant to put into every loan? 😂

Edited by OneMoSalah

It's looking like this Norwich move is on the cusp of being completed.

I'd much rather keep him here next season. Jorginho can't play every game, and we don't have another player in the squad besides Gilmour who plays his role in an effective manner. I think Gilmour had a couple of good performances at the end of the season when Tuchel needed to rotate the troops and hopefully will have given Tuchel confidence to trust him more regularly next season.

I saw Souness' interview about him staying at Chelsea and I would agree. I think working alongside Jorginho daily and learning from him could be just as effective, if not more so, than playing week in week out. As long as he's playing games on a semi regular basis (given the likely number of games next season he could easily end up playing 20 - 25 games across all competitions as backup). For me, Jorginho is one of the best players around for that role in midfield and Gilmour currently is primed for the long term replacement for him, much like Foden was at City with David Silva. I'd worry if the loan doesn't work out like is hoped that could be lost.

FFS, does the club always need to shoot itself in the foot after every successful season?

Sending out someone from the squad on loan, even before we've had a chance to have a preason game to evaluate. 

Also, where is the depth in Central midfield going to come from? We barely made it last season because only 1 of Kante, Jorginho and Kovacic were injured at a time. He would have got., and would absolutely be needed for rotation in games next season.

Also, I hate loans like these to tinpot teams.

Players like Gilmour thrive when surrounded by better players., allowing him to showcase his passing range and skill.

Call me cynical, but this has shades of McEachran all over.

The only hope is they don't stick him on the bench at Norwich, and actually make him start every game.

Hope this loan doesn't happen.

4 minutes ago, Blue Armour said:

FFS, does the club always need to shoot itself in the foot after every successful season?

Sending out someone from the squad on loan, even before we've had a chance to have a preason game to evaluate. 

Also, where is the depth in Central midfield going to come from? We barely made it last season because only 1 of Kante, Jorginho and Kovacic were injured at a time. He would have got., and would absolutely be needed for rotation in games next season.

Also, I hate loans like these to tinpot teams.

Players like Gilmour thrive when surrounded by better players., allowing him to showcase his passing range and skill.

Call me cynical, but this has shades of McEachran all over.

The only hope is they don't stick him on the bench at Norwich, and actually make him start every game.

Hope this loan doesn't happen.

I have read it is a very specific set of reasons (the tactics and formation plus guaranteed tonnes of minutes) that Tuchel wants him loaned to Norwich.

I am fine with that.

4 minutes ago, Vesper said:

I have read it is a very specific set of reasons (the tactics and formation plus guaranteed tonnes of minutes) that Tuchel wants him loaned to Norwich.

I am fine with that.

Agreed. I said for months if Norwich or Southampton will take him fine but many managers should be blacklisted when it comes to loaning players of Gilmour's specific skillset as they wouldn't know what to do with him.

I really hope we have a recall clause just incase Norwich have a rough start and panic appoint one of the recycled old school managers, could you even imagine if he all of a sudden has to play half a season under Tony Pulis?

Edited by Tomo

Just now, Tomo said:

Agreed. I said for months if Norwich or Southampton will take him fine but many clubs should be blacklisted when it comes to loaning players of Gilmour's specific skillset.

Another thing is I really hope we have a recall clause just incase Norwich have a rough start and panic appoint one of the recycled old school managers, could you even imagine if he all of a sudden has to play half a season under Tony Pulis?

or Big Sam

😜

6 hours ago, Superblue_1986 said:

It's looking like this Norwich move is on the cusp of being completed.

I'd much rather keep him here next season. Jorginho can't play every game, and we don't have another player in the squad besides Gilmour who plays his role in an effective manner. I think Gilmour had a couple of good performances at the end of the season when Tuchel needed to rotate the troops and hopefully will have given Tuchel confidence to trust him more regularly next season.

I saw Souness' interview about him staying at Chelsea and I would agree. I think working alongside Jorginho daily and learning from him could be just as effective, if not more so, than playing week in week out. As long as he's playing games on a semi regular basis (given the likely number of games next season he could easily end up playing 20 - 25 games across all competitions as backup). For me, Jorginho is one of the best players around for that role in midfield and Gilmour currently is primed for the long term replacement for him, much like Foden was at City with David Silva. I'd worry if the loan doesn't work out like is hoped that could be lost.

tbf he had the chance to train with jorginho for quite some time now. This is the moment he has to put this into practice. Not sure norwich is the right club but i dont mind billy getting a full pro season under his belt. we have to get him back if things go south up there tho.

Loaning him out surely also means that we sign a player like tchouameni who can effectively be a back up to jorginho. Would be madness to loan out billy and play the upcoming mammoth season with 3 cms again

8 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

tbf he had the chance to train with jorginho for quite some time now. This is the moment he has to put this into practice. Not sure norwich is the right club but i dont mind billy getting a full pro season under his belt. we have to get him back if things go south up there tho.

Loaning him out surely also means that we sign a player like tchouameni who can effectively be a back up to jorginho. Would be madness to loan out billy and play the upcoming mammoth season with 3 cms again

Guessing Gilmour has been loaned to Norwich because of the Farke-Tuchel connection since they worked together at Dortmund.

Saw arguments saying that Gilmour should have been kept and go down the Foden route instead - e.g. train with better players daily and eventually work his way into the XI. 

If he plays every week at Norwich and it works out, fair play. Still skeptical though, don’t think he isnt able to contribute here but it would depend on whether he gets the minutes or not. 

Farke has a good reputation developing youngsters, Max Aarons, Ben Godfrey, Todd Cantwell, Emiliano Buendia, Jamal Lewis, James Maddison have all played under him and done well so that obviously ties in as well as his relationship with Tuchel and his philosophy. 

Agree with Tomo though, if Norwich start poorly and end up appointing a Sam Allardyce or Tony Pulis or someone of that ilk, a recall clause will be handy.

1 hour ago, OneMoSalah said:

If he plays every week at Norwich and it works out, fair play. Still skeptical though, don’t think he isnt able to contribute here but it would depend on whether he gets the minutes or not. 

Farke has a good reputation developing youngsters, Max Aarons, Ben Godfrey, Todd Cantwell, Emiliano Buendia, Jamal Lewis, James Maddison have all played under him and done well so that obviously ties in as well as his relationship with Tuchel and his philosophy. 

Agree with Tomo though, if Norwich start poorly and end up appointing a Sam Allardyce or Tony Pulis or someone of that ilk, a recall clause will be handy.

If they stuck with Farke last time they got relegated early, they hopefully will do so again. I am sure billy will make an impression even though we could have aimed higher for him.