Billy Gilmour

the wes

I find funny all this praise for Billy. He was amazing b2b games against Pool and Everton 15 months ago. After that no significant performance. Yesterday he faced under average English midfielders. 

He needs to put regularly good performances and than we can talk. 

26 minutes ago, Jas said:

We might not change to a back 4 permanently but I'd be surprised if we don't use the back 4 system (be it 4-3-3, 4-2-3-1 etc) from time to time. 

Well for sure, against some teams in the league we can play with only  two players back essentially as teams drop so deep in a low block against us. When I say back 4, I mean lining up with only two CB's and FB's that are instructed not to push up as far. I don't see that happening for a while. 

18 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

Perhaps we arent going to a 4 a lot but signing Hakimi wouldn’t necessarily rule it out because he can play RB also and people forget this. Plus Tuchel’s even said himself the difference between playing with a back 3 and a back 4 isn’t that much, cant remember the game but even then, look at Italy at the Euros. The LB pushes up so high and one of the CMs tuck in/sit in and Chiellini goes to a left sided CB coming out with the ball. 

I have been saying though previously in the season, the 343, if it aint broke, dont fix it. We will be closer to winning a title with that shape but you need a plan B or C also. I think we will likely remain with a back 3 but even then we can go and play with 3 CMs still. It depends, Conte also did it with Kante Cesc Bakayoko. 

Honestly wouldn’t say he’s not at a good enough level to play here though but realistically, its about playing regularly for his development so I fully agree.

Would say RLC and Gilmour though, its two totally different scenarios. Gilmours situation is maybe potentially closer to Fodens actually than RLC’s depending what happens this summer. People questioned Foden not going on loan or Pep not picking him more frequently for 2/3 seasons then he did and he was the driving force for them. But I see the point also and what I have said there will be wrong if Tuchel doesn't play him.

The loan has to be right. It has to be a decent level in a foreign league or the PL because if you seen him yesterday, he showed he can play against boys like Rice, Phillips, Mount and cope extremely well. On his first international start. Plus his first 2 game v Liverpool and Everton, so it has to be a team who have a go and will not be scared to play.

I think we're on the same page. I completely agree it has to be the right club and situation. For me personally, I would say Brighton under Potter in the Premier League or a team like Real Sociedad/Real Betis/Villareal (Villareal may be a push) in Spain. 

I completely agree that if his options are: Newcastle/Burnley/some sort of Fat Sam team then he needs to stay at the club. Only one that I may consider that is a little outside of that is Rangers if they get CL. However, with the Scottish Prem being League One level with some of the teams, I wouldn't probably be keen on that unless he really, really wanted it. 

6 hours ago, NikkiCFC said:

I find funny all this praise for Billy. He was amazing b2b games against Pool and Everton 15 months ago. After that no significant performance. Yesterday he faced under average English midfielders. 

He needs to put regularly good performances and than we can talk. 

He's a baller though. MOTM in his first FA Cup, Premier League and now Scotland game. He seems to have an appetite to be always involved on the ball.

To put regularly good performances, he needs to get regular games. If Tuchel decides to, he can split the game time between Jorgi and Billy - Billy is ready for the games vs lower Premier League opposition. Only reason for a loan is if we sign a DM - Rice/Tchouameni

I wouldn't loan him out.the injury he had and Tuchel needing to steady the ship and catch up as much as possible I think were the factors in him not playing enough this last season.he's ahead of the curve,mature beyond his years like Reece is although could argue mental understanding of the game Billy is ahead of RJ as RJ can find himself out of position when defending and his pace helps him recover.Billy is probably the most football mature teenage player we've had since Ray Wilkins. He'll get more time with us next season.

Edited by Duppy Conqueror

14 hours ago, Strike said:

He's a baller though. MOTM in his first FA Cup, Premier League and now Scotland game. He seems to have an appetite to be always involved on the ball.

To put regularly good performances, he needs to get regular games. If Tuchel decides to, he can split the game time between Jorgi and Billy - Billy is ready for the games vs lower Premier League opposition. Only reason for a loan is if we sign a DM - Rice/Tchouameni

or Locatelli

1 hour ago, MoroccanBlue said:

Not to sound ignorant, but how on earth are footballers still not vaccinated?

Not so sure.

I know theres a huge issue with the supply of the vaccine in the UK or has been at times periodically but surely you’d of thought clubs would have looked into it but I suppose they probably couldn’t pull rank for it ahead of other folk and rightfully so.

Even then, you can still be vaccinated and carry it. I could be wrong but I am sure the vaccine only negates someone suffering from the side effects of the virus as opposed to outright carrying it? It does lower the transmission rate also but doesn’t fully stop it being transmitted either to unvaccinated folk either. There will be someone who knows more than I do who can maybe but I am sure I read that somewhere. 

Edited by OneMoSalah

42 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

Not so sure.

I know theres a huge issue with the supply of the vaccine in the UK or has been at times periodically but surely you’d of thought clubs would have looked into it but I suppose they probably couldn’t pull rank for it ahead of other folk and rightfully so.

Even then, you can still be vaccinated and carry it. I could be wrong but I am sure the vaccine only negates someone suffering from the side effects of the virus as opposed to outright carrying it? It does lower the transmission rate also but doesn’t fully stop it being transmitted either to unvaccinated folk either. There will be someone who knows more than I do who can maybe but I am sure I read that somewhere. 

Wasn't it because he was 19 and so he was in a lower category and wasn't classed as someone who met the criteria to take it? 

1 hour ago, King Kante said:

Wasn't it because he was 19 and so he was in a lower category and wasn't classed as someone who met the criteria to take it? 

Not sure on the ins and outs for athletes but I don’t think there is a criteria to not take it so to speak. For sure now, its much more of a personal choice now as the governments are all encouraging folk to get them and obviously there is the conspiracy theories claiming “microchipping” or whatever things people will believe but I doubt footballers are really that daft (although could be wrong…) 😂

They did prioritise older age groups or folk with existing health problems or who were more vulnerable due to their age and also NHS staff, who were more susceptible to being at risk due to being exposed to personnel with it at the beginning. I mean professional athletes/elite sportsmen&women are in bubbles (or should be) as per the government’s guidelines and their relevant countries & footballing associations so obviously they should be less exposed if these are any good but you’d still think they’d still want their players and staff to get vaccines but obviously I doubt its in their hands, more the individuals themselves.

I don’t think being a footballer would accelerate getting the vaccine though. It seemed more an age or health condition thing in terms of priority. If it were possible you’d have thought clubs and national teams would have asked players to get vaccinated as soon as they could do so but even then you can still get it, not show symptoms and give it to someone who isn’t vaccinated. 

16 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

Not sure on the ins and outs for athletes but I don’t think there is a criteria to not take it so to speak. For sure now, its much more of a personal choice now as the governments are all encouraging folk to get them and obviously there is the conspiracy theories claiming “microchipping” or whatever things people will believe but I doubt footballers are really that daft (although could be wrong…) 😂

They did prioritise older age groups or folk with existing health problems or who were more vulnerable due to their age and also NHS staff, who were more susceptible to being at risk due to being exposed to personnel with it at the beginning. I mean professional athletes/elite sportsmen&women are in bubbles (or should be) as per the government’s guidelines and their relevant countries & footballing associations so obviously they should be less exposed if these are any good but you’d still think they’d still want their players and staff to get vaccines but obviously I doubt its in their hands, more the individuals themselves.

I don’t think being a footballer would accelerate getting the vaccine though. It seemed more an age or health condition thing in terms of priority. If it were possible you’d have thought clubs and national teams would have asked players to get vaccinated as soon as they could do so but even then you can still get it, not show symptoms and give it to someone who isn’t vaccinated. 

IIRC, I saw the news that Italy got vaccinated prior to the Euros while Spain were fast tracked for vaccination after Busquets' positive case before the tournament. Not sure if other sides have gotten vaccinated but don't think all have been.

Athletes are also getting vaccinated before they travel to the Olympics in Japan. So, it's not out of the question that maybe the players should have been vaccinated before the Euros, especially when it's taking place in so many countries and teams have to travel from country to country.

EDIT: Yup, Italy and Spain did get vaccinated before the Euros.

https://apnews.com/article/premier-league-ciro-immobile-europe-italy-health-6c57bf8ad24c95c9eb682d2c295a4b44

https://theathletic.com/news/spain-euro-2020-squad-coronavirus-vaccinations/LWD6LxS7CDlx