Billy Gilmour

the wes

• 2 months later...
On 13/08/2021 at 16:10, NikkiCFC said:

Only just read this.

Fifty years ago Kenny Dalglish was just establishing himself in the Celtic first team and it would be another five years before he moved to Liverpool. At Anfield he became a key part of one of the greatest English club teams ever along with his international teammates Alan Hansen and and Grahame Souness. That's just one era of one team and we've already found three Scottish footballers whose talent dwarfs Billy's. I know Klopp was just trying to be nice but for a compliment to really mean anything it has to be believable. As it is, Klopp's comment must be the stupidest thing he's ever said about football. Meanwhile...

Billy seems to be getting stick from some Norwich fans. I'm on record as a non believer when it comes to Billy but he's getting minutes so I'd like to see him stay at Norwich, tough it out and play his way through this. What do other people think?

Edited by OhForAGreavsie

2 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Only just read this.

Fifty years ago Kenny Dalglish was just establishing himself in the Celtic first team and it would be another five years before he moved to Liverpool. An Anfield he became a key part of one of the greatest English club teams ever along with his international teammates Alan Hansen and and Grahame Souness. That's just one era of one team and we've already found three Scottish footballers whose talent dwarfs Billy's. I know Klopp was just trying to be nice but for a compliment to really mean anything it has to be believable. As it is, Klopp's comment must be the stupidest thing he's ever said about football. Meanwhile...

Billy seems to be getting stick from some Norwich fans. I'm on record as a non believer when it comes to Billy but he's getting minutes so I'd like to see him stay at Norwich, tough it out and play his way through this. What do other people think?

He is getting into Ampadu territory for me. Not sold at all. Will probably get dropped again from lineup for Norwich. 

And I hate when they put him in same sentence with Gallagher in context of possible return next season for MF. Like he is anywhere near... 

12 minutes ago, NikkiCFC said:

He is getting into Ampadu territory for me. Not sold at all. Will probably get dropped again from lineup for Norwich. 

And I hate when they put him in same sentence with Gallagher in context of possible return next season for MF. Like he is anywhere near... 

Ampadu territory? Wouldn’t say he’s there or remotely close.

I was gonna comment about the video of Norwich fans signing at him. I really don’t get the Norwich fans going after him - aye he’s not played as well as we’d and they would have hoped… I don’t get it, they’ve got so many guys who have also been horrendous this season and have spent like 3 seasons in the PL where they’ve been battered under Daniel Farke and celebrated the whole season of being there getting pumped 30 out of 38 games a season like a second rate club would so for a section of their fans to go after a 20 y/o loan player like that, especially now, it blows my mind.

Unfortunately, he is playing for a championship team who are definitely going down, where its likely accurate that 75-80% of their squad aren’t anywhere near good enough to keep them in the PL. They have no obligation to play him and thats fine but honestly, how many players of the calibre he is at/better than he is at do they have? Its not just why Billy’s struggling, its why they are struggling to get results - because the majority of them aren't at the level. 

Re Gallagher and Gilmour, all this season shows is what difference a good loan (or loans in CG’s case) and a bad loan can do to people’s perception. Norwich looked a decent loan at the beginning because Farke’s always went to play a possession based style but its turned out a disaster probably.

Anyone unsure of Billy’s ability to play at a higher level than Norwich should watch the clips of him play against Liverpool, Everton and virtually any Scotland game hes started in. He can definitely be a top top MF player, have said that since I seen him playing for Rangers u20 aged 15. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 29/12/2021 at 19:30, OneMoSalah said:

Anyone unsure of Billy’s ability to play at a higher level than Norwich should watch the clips of him play against Liverpool, Everton and virtually any Scotland game hes started in. He can definitely be a top top MF player, have said that since I seen him playing for Rangers u20 aged 15. 

I have to confess that I've been a non believer from the start. After his mooted move became public I watched his Rangers academy highlight videos and commented that he would find a lot of youth team players at Cobham that were more talented than him.

As for the video watching challenge, I will if you will. For me, the Liverpool game was good (not withstanding the fact that the most memorable moment benefitted from a slice of luck) but not as good as billed, the Toffees game was not as good as the Liverpool one and the England game was a dramatic example of 'overhyped'. An unspectacular performance in my view

As you can tell I have watched those videos but I will watch them again. If you decide to do the same, I'd be really interested to know what you think about the Grimsby game. I left the ground that night really buzzing about Billy's performance but for me that display looses a lot of its sheen in the cold light of the day.

Edited by OhForAGreavsie

On 22/01/2022 at 02:21, MoroccanBlue said:

We have a tendency to vastly overate our academy players. 

Never was a fan of his in the first place 

On 11/02/2020 at 23:36, Magic Lamps said:

I am absolutely not a fan of him. He is tiny and him coming on vs Sheffield iirc cost us the game with his clumsiness and tendency to be dispossessed easily. Ordinary at best. Hopefully he proves me wrong. 

he showed a few nice glimpses but i stay with my assessment that he will not become a top player here 

• 6 months later...
On 29/12/2021 at 16:56, OhForAGreavsie said:

Only just read this.

Fifty years ago Kenny Dalglish was just establishing himself in the Celtic first team and it would be another five years before he moved to Liverpool. At Anfield he became a key part of one of the greatest English club teams ever along with his international teammates Alan Hansen and and Grahame Souness. That's just one era of one team and we've already found three Scottish footballers whose talent dwarfs Billy's. I know Klopp was just trying to be nice but for a compliment to really mean anything it has to be believable. As it is, Klopp's comment must be the stupidest thing he's ever said about football. Meanwhile...

• 3 weeks later...

Good luck to him.

Still think, he has got the ability to be a top 6 level player. Would of rather seen him play more than Ruben or Ross over the last 18 months or so.

As a fellow Scot also I am glad he will be getting regular playing time in a half decent team after seeing that horrendous Norwich team he played in.

I just hope he doesn’t do too well and end up going to one of our rivals in 18 months or 24 months. Because I still think his talent is undoubtedly there. Maybe if he develops a bit more physically and is a bit more robust he will improve also because technically there is no doubts from me he is capable of being a good MF player.