Billy Gilmour

the wes

On 02/07/2021 at 08:25, Blue Armour said:

Still don't like the idea of sending a player out on loan before even having a preseason.

We still have 2 first team midfielders playing in the Euros and we're hoping they come back fully fit.

I hope this also means: a. We are getting another midfield backup in the transfer window or b. Try to reintegrate one of RLC or Barkley into the squad again in a different formation.

With all the competitions we're in, rotating between Kovacic, Kante & Jorginho alone for CM won't be enough. Mount could be wasted playing in a double pivot.

Also, for Billy's sake I hope we have a clause that allows us to recall the player. Norwich could be in a relegation battle, so if they lose their manager or become desperate for points Billy could end up on the bench.

Still skeptical of the move, and hope if nothing else, he gets to start most games. 

When was the last time we've had a player who went out on loan to a PL side successfully reintegrate into the squad in the following season? RLC? McEachran was wasted, and Ampadu went no where. Ake at least wound up in Man City, so I guess there's some hope.

Digging up an old post of mine from this topic.

In hindsight, yes, sending Gilmour out on loan was a waste. At least he's at Brighton now. 

16 hours ago, lucio said:

Played very well yesterday apparently 

It's a shame he wasn't given a proper go at Chelsea, he's much more suited to the CM role when compared to RLC & Gallagher. 

12 hours ago, Blue Armour said:

In hindsight, yes, sending Gilmour out on loan was a waste. At least he's at Brighton now.

It's good that he's at Brighton but the fact that we let one of our better academy CM's leave for peanuts (think it was 8 million)....when the midfield has been a massive cause for concern for the past few seasons is quite worrying. 

We're stuck with RLC as no-one will come close to his 120k a week paycheck and that's part of the problem here for whoever takes over...too much deadwood in the first team squad.