Christian Pulisic

the wes

6 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

Think either way, whatever your opinion was about him starting or him coming off the bench, we still created 6 clear cut chances. 

I just don't get it. Wasn't tonight perfect in terms of the selection or what we want to see in general?

The starting XI that Tuchel put out did the job and were brilliant and the subs who came on - specifically Pulisic - also did the same and had an impact.

And the lack of sub impact last week in Madrid was probably also a reason why Tuchel went with the starting XI that he did. 

hace 17 minutos, Jas dijo:

I just don't get it. Wasn't tonight perfect in terms of the selection or what we want to see in general?

The starting XI that Tuchel put out did the job and were brilliant and the subs who came on - specifically Pulisic - also did the same and had an impact.

And the lack of sub impact last week in Madrid was probably also a reason why Tuchel went with the starting XI that he did. 

We debating it prior to the game after Fulham regarding would he go with Kai or Werner but he played both from the start and ultimately, if we had put the ball in the net for the second goal or for a potential third goal or maybe even a fourth goal much earlier when we had the chances, people would of been praising the selection.

Plus I think the effect Pulisic had from the bench was helped by Madrid being a bit weathered, he was fresh legs, they’d just spent however long chasing Werner running in behind him. So either way if it was Pulisic or Werner coming in I think they’d of both had the same effect personally in the way that they’d have affected the game. Both are different players but both have real pace and either way Ramos, Militao, Nacho wouldn't of wanted to see another fast player coming in regardless of who it was.

As you’ve said you want the players to start to make an impact, as well as the players coming from the bench if its required. Thats the sign of a strong squad.

Even Azpi at RWB and Christensen on the right of the three with Silva and Ruidger. I mean what did Hazard do? Or Farlan Mendy? Not one selection of the team he made tonight played out badly. People complained v West Ham having Azpi at RWB. And also that we played 3 CBs and Azpi at RWB in the first leg. 

Edited by OneMoSalah

32 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

We debating it prior to the game after Fulham regarding would he go with Kai or Werner but he played both from the start and ultimately, if we had put the ball in the net for the second goal or for a potential third goal or maybe even a fourth goal much earlier when we had the chances, people would of been praising the selection.

The whole thing with Havertz v Werner was more down to the finishing of the latter more than anything else, I think, but turned out he wasn't the problem tonight! We know what Werner offers to the team in terms of his pace and movement and there is a reason why Tuchel has consistently selected him, especially in the big games. Have seen people said Pulisic can also do the same things which is funny when they are different players. Sure, Pulisic can make runs in behind and all that but he's still someone who prefers the ball to his feet and dribble past players while Werner is someone more comfortable making off the ball runs, stretching defences, getting in behind etc and in turn, create space for the other attackers or midfielders to cause damage between the lines. Such selection also makes sense if we are going to play on the break and/or be more direct with our attacks. 

37 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

Plus I think the effect Pulisic had from the bench was helped by Madrid being a bit weathered, he was fresh legs, they’d just spent however long chasing Werner running in behind him. So either way if it was Pulisic or Werner coming in I think they’d of both had the same effect personally in the way that they’d have affected the game. Both are different players but both have real pace and either way Ramos, Militao, Nacho wouldn't of wanted to see another fast player coming in regardless of who it was.

As you’ve said you want the players to start to make an impact, as well as the players coming from the bench if its required. Thats the sign of a strong squad.

Think the conundrum for Tuchel is not all our attackers are great coming off the bench, at least based on what we've seen this season. Can't remember Ziyech, Havertz, Werner having any meaningful impact on games from the bench. Pulisic hasn't had many or any until tonight and given Tuchel also knew him from their time at Dortmund, he probably thinks Pulisic is the best one coming off the bench to make an impact, even more so if we have to chase the game. 

6 minutes ago, Jas said:

The whole thing with Havertz v Werner was more down to the finishing of the latter more than anything else, I think, but turned out he wasn't the problem tonight! We know what Werner offers to the team in terms of his pace and movement and there is a reason why Tuchel has consistently selected him, especially in the big games. Have seen people said Pulisic can also do the same things which is funny when they are different players. Sure, Pulisic can make runs in behind and all that but he's still someone who prefers the ball to his feet and dribble past players while Werner is someone more comfortable making off the ball runs, stretching defences, getting in behind etc and in turn, create space for the other attackers or midfielders to cause damage between the lines. Such selection also makes sense if we are going to play on the break and/or be more direct with our attacks. 

Think the conundrum for Tuchel is not all our attackers are great coming off the bench, at least based on what we've seen this season. Can't remember Ziyech, Havertz, Werner having any meaningful impact on games from the bench. Pulisic hasn't had many or any until tonight and given Tuchel also knew him from their time at Dortmund, he probably thinks Pulisic is the best one coming off the bench to make an impact, even more so if we have to chase the game. 

Pulisic is brilliant from the bench. we saw this today, vs City in the fa cup and also a lot last season. Ziyech, Tammy and Havertz were absolutey whack coming off the bench the last few times i remember.

Giroud was useful a couple of times tho. Emerson, too. The only ones i can thinko f who made an attacking impact besides pulisic coming off the bench.

Edited by Magic Lamps

2 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

Pulisic is brilliant from the bench. we saw this today, vs City in the fa cup and also a lot last season. Ziyech, Tammy and Havertz were absolutey whack coming off the bench the last few times i remember.

Giroud was useful a couple of times tho. Emerson, too. The only ones i can thinko f who made an attacking impact besides pulisic coming off the bench.

IMO, today was the first good game Pulisic has had off the bench this season. Last season there were the Ajax and Newcastle games. But otherwise, he started most of the games whenever he was fit.

Giroud has also been used to waste time as a sub under Tuchel and the same can probably be said of Emerson. 

Tuchel knowing Pulisic can make an impact off the bench is probably not going to help his starting cause in certain games, I think, especially if the others aren't going to have that sub impact. 

1 hour ago, Magic Lamps said:

Was impressed how he stayed composed and picked the right pass when it looked like the opporunity was gone. 

This for sure.  Said the same thing great patience

8 minutes ago, Jas said:

IMO, today was the first good game Pulisic has had off the bench this season.

Oh, come on. What should player do for you in 20 mins? 

Krasnodar, Porto first leg, Atletico second leg, tonight, Burnley, City in Cup. All great games from the bench. 

Last season apart from Newcastle and Ajax there were games against Liverpool, Aston Villa, Southampton... 

2 minutes ago, NikkiCFC said:

Oh, come on. What should player do for you in 20 mins? 

Krasnodar, Porto first leg, Atletico second leg, tonight, Burnley, City in Cup. All great games from the bench. 

Last season apart from Newcastle and Ajax there were games against Liverpool, Aston Villa, Southampton... 

Great games from the bench? Thought he was only so-so in those games and if you measure the other games against tonight, then those other games weren’t great at all.

Forgot about Liverpool and Villa last season.