Christian Pulisic

the wes

1 hour ago, King Kante said:

He has been injured as is struggling to pick the pace of the game up again? 

But his last notable/major injury was back in November?

Since returning in late November, Pulisic has not featured in only 5 out of our last 24 games (played over 1000 minutes in the other 19 games) - missed 2 games due to tight hamstring (Everton and Southampton), 1 due to family issue (Sheffield United) and was an unused sub in the remaining 2 games (Krasnodar and Newcastle). He has looked fine physically.

Well, this is what happens if you don't even give him a chance. It's even worse when Timo has been average this whole time, yet he is the first name on the teamsheet.

I fully get his decision to leave, if it has come to that point.

3 minutes ago, Azul said:

Well, this is what happens if you don't even give him a chance. It's even worse when Timo has been average this whole time, yet he is the first name on the teamsheet.

I fully get his decision to leave, if it has come to that point.

Okay, let's make it as if Werner is preventing Pulisic from getting into the XI. Tuchel did not play/start Werner against Wolves and Man United but chose to not start with Pulisic anyway. There were also games when Tuchel could have chosen Pulisic to play with Werner and Mount but he went with CHO or Ziyech.

On the bigger picture though, we do have a lot of attacking players in the squad. It does feel like it needs to be trimmed because everyone of them would want to be in the starting XI.

22 minutes ago, Jason said:

Okay, let's make it as if Werner is preventing Pulisic from getting into the XI. Tuchel did not play/start Werner against Wolves and Man United but chose to not start with Pulisic anyway. There were also games when Tuchel could have chosen Pulisic to play with Werner and Mount but he went with CHO or Ziyech.

On the bigger picture though, we do have a lot of attacking players in the squad. It does feel like it needs to be trimmed because everyone of them would want to be in the starting XI.

Or the 3 at the back needs to go, which I imagine will come next season. 

Also, according to Buck, a reason Pulisic was purchased was to tap into the American market, as that is where the real money lies. No way will we move him on after only 2 years. 

1 minute ago, MoroccanBlue said:

Or the 3 at the back needs to go, which I imagine will come next season. 

Also, according to Buck, a reason Pulisic was purchased was to tap into the American market, as that is where the real money lies. No way will we move him on after only 2 years. 

But that was before we suddenly went and bought so many attackers last summer.

I don't think we will keep a player just because we want to tap into a market if he wants to leave. 

9 minutes ago, Jason said:

But that was before we suddenly went and bought so many attackers last summer.

I don't think we will keep a player just because we want to tap into a market if he wants to leave. 

Maybe if that player had zero potential. The fact Pulisic is America's most prized footballing asset and when you consider his ceiling, pretty sure he is one of the very last the club has in mind to sell off. 

He'll come good. 

Edited by MoroccanBlue

50 minutes ago, Jason said:

Werner is preventing him because he is the same type of player. Why? Because CHO primarely played as a WB this season. Ziyech has barely played this season, so he didn't prevent him. Even when Ziyech played, he plays in a different role that is not suited for Pulisic if that makes sense. 

My point is that Pulisic at the moment can do the things Werner is doing and more.  

1 minute ago, Azul said:

Werner is preventing him because he is the same type of player. Why? Because CHO primarely played as a WB this season. Ziyech has barely played this season, so he didn't prevent him. Even when Ziyech played, he plays in a different role that is not suited for Pulisic if that makes sense. 

My point is that Pulisic at the moment can do the things Werner is doing and more.  

Werner and Pulisic are same type of player...? 🤨 One is a direct, inside forward while the other is a winger.

CHO played as one of the front 3 attackers against Spurs, Southampton and Everton. And Pulisic is more like CHO given they're both wingers. 

The point isn't whether Ziyech has played much or not, it's that Tuchel could have tailored the approach to fit Pulisic in but he didn't. If you want to talk this season as in the whole season, then nothing stopped Pulisic from playing a lot under Lampard after he came from injury in late November. 

1 minute ago, Jason said:

Werner and Pulisic are same type of player...? 🤨 One is a direct, inside forward while the other is a winger.

CHO played as one of the front 3 attackers against Spurs, Southampton and Everton. And Pulisic is more like CHO given they're both wingers. 

The point isn't whether Ziyech has played much or not, it's that Tuchel could have tailored the approach to fit Pulisic in but he didn't. If you want to talk this season as in the whole season, then nothing stopped Pulisic from playing a lot under Lampard after he came from injury in late November. 

Pulisic was an inside forward at the end of last season. He has shown enough abilities to play that role, and his goalcontributions post lockdown is similar to Werners after 27 games this season. Does Pulisic have good positioning ? Yes (Werner still has better positiong to be fair). Does he have better finishing? Yes(Werner is horrible in front of goal at the moment). Can he pass, dribble, linkup play and hold the ball better than Werner? Yes. So why can't he play the inside forward role he played in the restart of last season?

Let me explain the Ziyech thing, he only get's picked for specific games to play a specific role. Which is not to use his pace, dribbling, positioning etc, but Ziyech is tasked to be the playmaker that uses his passing range. So why do we compare Ziyech and Pulisic? They're two completely different players.

I have no problem if CHO starts over Pulisic, because I rate him and I believe he offers more than both Werner and Pulisic at the moment. However he plays the wingback role a lot, and when he does Werner seems to play the left forward position. I'd rather Pulisic play that role.

1 hour ago, Azul said:

Pulisic was an inside forward at the end of last season. He has shown enough abilities to play that role, and his goalcontributions post lockdown is similar to Werners after 27 games this season. Does Pulisic have good positioning ? Yes (Werner still has better positiong to be fair). Does he have better finishing? Yes(Werner is horrible in front of goal at the moment). Can he pass, dribble, linkup play and hold the ball better than Werner? Yes. So why can't he play the inside forward role he played in the restart of last season?

Pulisic was playing as an inverted winger. He started out wide and then worked his way inward. Think Ribery for example.

1 hour ago, Azul said:

Let me explain the Ziyech thing, he only get's picked for specific games to play a specific role. Which is not to use his pace, dribbling, positioning etc, but Ziyech is tasked to be the playmaker that uses his passing range. So why do we compare Ziyech and Pulisic? They're two completely different players.

My point is, Tuchel could have tailored the game plan to fit Pulisic in alongside Werner and Mount in past games. Pulisic came on for CHO at Spurs in the second half and we ended up with Werner-Mount-Pulisic as the front 3. 

And if you want to mention specifics aka why a player is used like what you described with Ziyech there, then one could argue that Tuchel prefers what Werner brings to the team more than Pulisic - e.g. stay on the last line and focus on making runs behind to stretch the defence/push the defence back. Moreover, we need some sort of striker presence in the XI. Werner is more like one than Pulisic is.

Also while Pulisic shone on the left last season, it's not like he can't play on the right either. Did that at Dortmund and for Tuchel as well. So what is preventing Tuchel for just playing Pulisic on the right?

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Pulisic was playing as an inverted winger. He started out wide and then worked his way inward. Think Ribery for example.

My point is, Tuchel could have tailored the game plan to fit Pulisic in alongside Werner and Mount in past games. Pulisic came on for CHO at Spurs in the second half and we ended up with Werner-Mount-Pulisic as the front 3. 

And if you want to mention specifics aka why a player is used like what you described with Ziyech there, then one could argue that Tuchel prefers what Werner brings to the team more than Pulisic - e.g. stay on the last line and focus on making runs behind to stretch the defence/push the defence back. Moreover, we need some sort of striker presence in the XI. Werner is more like one than Pulisic is.

Also while Pulisic shone on the left last season, it's not like he can't play on the right either. Did that at Dortmund and for Tuchel as well. So what is preventing Tuchel for just playing Pulisic on the right?

I disagree, Ribery is a playmaking winger, whilst Pulisic has been a goal threat for us under Lampard. Besides, Werner uses width a lot as well but I don't call him an inverted winger but an inside forward. Why do you think Klopp was massively interested in him? Because Pulisic has the ability to play as an inside forward.

The reason why Werner and Pulisic don't play with eachother is because Tuchel likes to play with one player that can hold the ball well. Mount-Pulisic-Werner would only work against a highline like Liverpools. However Ziyech started that game because he was tasked to give through balls to Werner. 

Saying Werner is there for a striker presence, is really clutching at straws. Is this how far our fanbase goes in defending this guys performances? lol no offence bro

Werner at the moment does not have the presence of a striker, because he can't score to save his life. 

By the way it's not like I really am desperate for Pulisic to play, but I don't mind CHO playing on the left as well. Anyone but Timo at the moment. 

What prevented Pulisic from playing on the right is Mount. He played most games on the right or in the middle, either way it limits Pulisic to play because Tuchel does not like to bench Mason for obvious reasons.

I'd like my front three to be:

Pulisic/CHO-Havertz-Mount

12 minutes ago, Azul said:

Saying Werner is there for a striker presence, is really clutching at straws. Is this how far our fanbase goes in defending this guys performances? lol no offence bro

Werner at the moment does not have the presence of a striker, because he can't score to save his life. 

Him not scoring is one thing but it's another to have someone making those striker runs in the box, especially if Abraham/Giroud isn't gonna play.

Say if we suddenly play CHO-Mount-Pulisic as front 3, who's gonna be the striker? Who's gonna just have that striker presence and create movement inside the box? Everyone of those 3 likes to get the ball onto their feet.

14 minutes ago, Azul said:

By the way it's not like I really am desperate for Pulisic to play, but I don't mind CHO playing on the left as well. Anyone but Timo at the moment. 

So if you have issues with Tuchel playing Werner on the left but not on the right, like he did against Everton? 

15 minutes ago, Azul said:

What prevented Pulisic from playing on the right is Mount. He played most games on the right or in the middle, either way it limits Pulisic to play because Tuchel does not like to bench Mason for obvious reasons.

Mount has played several games behind the front two of Werner and someone else. Pulisic was part of that front two when he came on at Spurs for example. There's been CHO, Ziyech on the right. Tuchel could have played Pulisic there instead of say CHO but he did not.

33 minutes ago, Jason said:

Him not scoring is one thing but it's another to have someone making those striker runs in the box, especially if Abraham/Giroud isn't gonna play.

Say if we suddenly play CHO-Mount-Pulisic as front 3, who's gonna be the striker? Who's gonna just have that striker presence and create movement inside the box? Everyone of those 3 likes to get the ball onto their feet.

So if you have issues with Tuchel playing Werner on the left but not on the right, like he did against Everton? 

Mount has played several games behind the front two of Werner and someone else. Pulisic was part of that front two when he came on at Spurs for example. There's been CHO, Ziyech on the right. Tuchel could have played Pulisic there instead of say CHO but he did not.

"Him not scoring is one thing but it's another to have someone making those striker runs in the box, especially if Abraham/Giroud isn't gonna play."

Are you saying that Pulisic's positioning is not good enough? He's fast and has an eye for goal as we've seen post lockdown against City for example, where his positioning was superb.

"Say if we suddenly play CHO-Mount-Pulisic as front 3, who's gonna be the striker? Who's gonna just have that striker presence and create movement inside the box? Everyone of those 3 likes to get the ball onto their feet."

I never mentioned that I wanted Mount-Pulisic-CHO to play with eachother. 

"So if you have issues with Tuchel playing Werner on the left but not on the right, like he did against Everton?"

CHO and Werner were playing together, because Mount needed a rest. When Mount is fit, I have no problem if CHO plays on the left instead of Werner. I'd like to see Pulisic given an opportunity though. To see what he can do on the left together with Havertz as a false nine and Mount in the middle.

"Mount has played several games behind the front two of Werner and someone else. Pulisic was part of that front two when he came on at Spurs for example. There's been CHO, Ziyech on the right. Tuchel could have played Pulisic there instead of say CHO but he did not."

Ziyech played when he has a specific role like I said. I don't want to repeat myself, no offence just tired😅😂 Pulisic can't pass like Ziyech so it doesn't make sense for him to replace Ziyech when he has been given a specific task. 

Whenever CHO plays in a forward position like he did, I don't criticise him because I think he is a good forward. There's no reason for me to want Pulisic to start over CHO.

However there are multiple reasons why I want Pulisic or CHO to start over Werner in the left forward spot. He starts there way too often after average performances, it's time we give CHO or Pulisic a run there while playing with Mount and Havertz.

Edited by Azul

1 minute ago, Azul said:

Are you saying that Pulisic's positioning is not good enough? He's fast and has an eye for goal as we've seen post lockdown against City for example, where his positioning was superb.

But he is not a striker, no? And you said it so yourself, Werner's position is better than Pulisic's. 

Did you pick the wrong goal or what? His goal against City was him winning the ball in midfield and then running through to score.

3 minutes ago, Azul said:

I never mentioned that I wanted Mount-Pulisic-CHO to play with eachother. 

Am just using it as an example because you keep on saying Werner shouldn't have played so many games and that Pulisic should have played. So, was just using one of the recent lineups and switched Werner out for Pulisic.

4 minutes ago, Azul said:

CHO and Werner were playing together, because Mount needed a rest. When Mount is fit, I have no problem if CHO plays on the left instead of Werner. I'd like to see Pulisic given an opportunity though. To see what he can do on the left together with Havertz as a false nine and Mount in the middle.

Okay...but why didn't Tuchel play Pulisic on the right? It's a much more familiar position to him than Werner.

5 minutes ago, Azul said:

Ziyech played when he has a specific role like I said. I don't want to repeat myself, no offence just tired😅😂 Pulisic can't pass like Ziyech so it doesn't make sense for him to replace Ziyech when he has been given a specific task. 

I know but as I said, Tuchel could have come up with a plan to fit Pulisic in the front 3. I don't know how many times Ziyech played Werner in against Liverpool but Tuchel could have used Pulisic and made us hurt them in a different way. And Pulisic also came on for Ziyech in that game. There is more than one way to skin a cat.