24. Reece James

the wes

Where has his personal PT disappeared to? Recall him being vocal about Chelsea rushing him back from an injury, all quiet now.

Sad news for Reece, most likely down to him trying to impress and going hard, Kinsella reported this week has been harder than the whole of last preseason.

On 14/07/2023 at 15:19, NikkiCFC said:

All good. People panicking for no reason. 

Good news, but equally there are rightful concerns about his durability. From my perspective owing to his heavy build, he looks predisposed to picking up joint injuries. This is one of the reasons I would like to see him given a chance as a DM, as in that position he wouldn't have the demand of bombing up and down the wing all the time. Additionally, I can see him dominating midfiled there like Essien used to do. 

2 hours ago, King Kante said:

Good news, but equally there are rightful concerns about his durability. From my perspective owing to his heavy build, he looks predisposed to picking up joint injuries. This is one of the reasons I would like to see him given a chance as a DM, as in that position he wouldn't have the demand of bombing up and down the wing all the time. Additionally, I can see him dominating midfiled there like Essien used to do. 

Essien was an underrated passer of the ball though.

I know people on here have said that Reece James has succeeded in the DMF role when with Wigan in the Championship, but I still have my doubts with regards to doing that in the league.

On 15/07/2023 at 19:21, Blue Armour said:

Essien was an underrated passer of the ball though.

I know people on here have said that Reece James has succeeded in the DMF role when with Wigan in the Championship, but I still have my doubts with regards to doing that in the league.

I don’t see why people want to change him from RB to CM.

He is one of the best and most complete fullbacks in the game when he is fully fit, yet people think we should play him as a CM?

Mind blowing. Be like Man City playing Haaland as a CB.

Also above someone mentioned fitness and injuries and trying him in midfield, saying he could be like Essien. I am sorry but central midfield is probably the toughest position to play physicality. You have to cover so much ground. You have to be ultra fit, I wouldn’t dare risk putting a RB who’s broken down so many times in the past 2 years in arguably the most physically challenging position on the pitch. 

Edited by OneMoSalah

13 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

I don’t see why people want to change him from RB to CM.

He is one of the best and most complete fullbacks in the game when he is fully fit, yet people think we should play him as a CM?

Mind blowing.

Be like Man City playing Haaland as a CB.

He's one of the best wing backs in the game, he's absolutely wasted in a back 4.

Just now, YorkshireBlue said:

He's one of the best wing backs in the game, he's absolutely wasted in a back 4.

And well if he’s one of the best wingbacks in the game whys play him as a central midfielder? Does that not totally contradict how good he is as a fullback/wingback?

I mean its 90% likely we go to play with a back 4 under Poch. Look at the likes of Walker and Trippiers development under Poch. If Reece can cut out the slackness in his game at times as well as the injuries, he has the potential to be the best right back in world football for years.

Putting him at CM would be a waste. 

13 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

And well if he’s one of the best wingbacks in the game whys play him as a central midfielder? Does that not totally contradict how good he is as a fullback/wingback?

I mean its 90% likely we go to play with a back 4 under Poch. Look at the likes of Walker and Trippiers development under Poch. If Reece can cut out the slackness in his game at times as well as the injuries, he has the potential to be the best right back in world football for years.

Putting him at CM would be a waste. 

A wing back is basically a box to box midfielder but on the wing, James has all the qualities to play in midfield for sure, if he should or not is a different question.

17 hours ago, YorkshireBlue said:

A wing back is basically a box to box midfielder but on the wing, James has all the qualities to play in midfield for sure, if he should or not is a different question.

Yes, a wing back is basically an attacking full back who starts 20 or 25 yards higher up the pitch than they would normally do…. A box to box midfielder is a box to box midfielder.

I’ll go out on a limb and say it, 99% chance that the only way we will see Reece playing in CM is if we play inverted full backs under Poch. And we won’t if his Paris, Spurs and Southampton teams are to go off of.

More chances of seeing him as a RCB in a back 3 as we did before with Tuche v Leicester in particular IIRC.

Edited by OneMoSalah

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...