24. Reece James

the wes

10 minutes ago, DH1988 said:

Doesn't seem vocal enough to be a captain but then again I always associate captains with that type of style, perhaps that's wrong. 

Absolute monster tonight, as Sterling was told to stay up the pitch in the second half he covered two positions and beasted a fresh legged tricky player to boot, held my breath for a moment when Bellingham fouled him in the last minute and his ankle looked to buckle on the replay.

Leadership is more than just about shouting and throwing your weight around else Neil Warnock would have become a world class coach.

His elite mentality sets the standards throughout the whole club.

45 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Leadership is more than just about shouting and throwing your weight around else Neil Warnock would have become a world class coach.

His elite mentality sets the standards throughout the whole club.

Agreed, you could say the exact same about how Kova captained tonight. Led by example with a huge performance.

Still get the feeling there is more to come from him. Times where he makes it look easy but then there are times where it looks like he’s going through the motions. 

I do think he is a future captain here though, as mentioned above, leading by example is just as vital in a captain as shouting and being boisterous around the park. The being more vocal/talking through the game more often will come too. 

To clarify, not leaning toward the Neil Warnock type of captain 🤣 I mean a JT type, if something is going wrong or someone needs a word then it’s done, we miss those personalities, not just in a captain, squad wide.

Reece isn’t that type of person, neither is Kova, just because he put in a monstrous performance it doesn’t warrant being in the mix, though Reece has time to develop, we see his personality on the field and off. Not a big deal and it’s no sleight on him, I’m not even sure we have someone in the squad at the moment who fits a mould, been spoilt over the years. 

On 08/03/2023 at 12:41, DH1988 said:

I’m not even sure we have someone in the squad at the moment

I think Enzo can become that, but he is not there yet

same for Wes Fofana (I know, I know, I am assuming he stays fit and gets back to pre injury form, which, I admit looks more possible now than at any time before)

I'm really concerned about Reece and Wez

and their constant injuries, Wez I didn't want here until he could prove he's not a crock, so far he has not.

Reece on the other hand I don't know, but he like Wez plays one game and get's injured.

Edited by bigbluewillie

8 hours ago, bigbluewillie said:

I'm really concerned about Reece and Wez

and their constant injuries, Wez I didn't want here until he could prove he's not a crock, so far he has not.

Reece on the other I don't know, but he like Wez plays one game and get's injured.

He’ll have more cover next season with Malo Gusto being here can be rotated more and rested

Edited by bluesman2610

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

His body language did not look good in the last match. Especially against opponents who he has done well against in the past.

I'm just glad he already has a CL trophy under his belt (even if his medal was unfortunately stolen)., else he would easily be looking to jump ship given the clubs current predicament.

And even if 99% of the fans want Mount to gtfo from here, I doubt he's happy with his old pal being given the boot like that.

When Arsenal began sliding to mediocrity, the first thing that happened was that they started losing all their top talent (old and young). And this is when they were still a top 4 team.

That's why I find all these posts saying that we need to sacrifice 3-4 years to get back to the top, absolutely fucking stupid,. with all due respect.

If band-aids are what we need, then that's what we should use. There are 6 other clubs to compete with now, and you can't risk staying in mediocrity for too long., else the club will just end up staying where it is forever. Mediocre.

Piss poor for weeks now.

Attitude needs checked something serious as his body language looked abysmal, as if he doesn’t care. I’m not saying he doesn’t but his performances would indicate otherwise.

Has credit from past few seasons but for someone the club see as going towards being a senior figure and captain, he needs to show much more passion and fight. Even when things aren’t going well, these big players, these are the ones who puff their chests out and give their all.

Or maybe, as harsh as it may sound, he isn’t going to be the type of captain we need for this group as it stands. I don’t see him digging anybody out. In fact I don’t see any of them digging anybody out when they play. It’s embarrassing.

Edited by OneMoSalah

2 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

Piss poor for weeks now.

Attitude needs checked something serious as his body language looked abysmal, as if he doesn’t care. I’m not saying he doesn’t but his performances would indicate otherwise.

Has credit from past few seasons but for someone the club see as going towards being a senior figure and captain, he needs to show much more passion and fight. Even when things aren’t going well, these big players, these are the ones who puff their chests out and give their all.

Or maybe, as harsh as it may sound, he isn’t going to be the type of captain we need for this group as it stands. I don’t see him digging anybody out. In fact I don’t see any of them digging anybody out when they play. It’s embarrassing.

Agreed. I think James is one of those players that needs an authoritarian type figure for a manager.

His defensive game was at it's best when we had Tuchel screaming from the sidelines.

Under Potter and now back to Lampard, it seems to have regressed a bit to his 2019-2020 days.

• 2 weeks later...

Another injury.

Why do these fucking moron coaches keep playing players who are delicate/have picked up an injury through games? Particularly one v Madrid where we were basically confirmed as out by the 60th minute after they scored. First Potter with Reece, now Lampard.

Honestly wtf. I get the seasons dead rubber but we stand a much better chance of winning games by not risking our better players through games which could further aggravate their injuries. 

Edited by OneMoSalah