Kepa Arrizabalaga

Jase

6 hours ago, Jason said:

Just 2 clean sheets away from bettering Courtois' clean sheet record in his own debut season in 2014/15.

Courtois didn't play in Europa League and EFL Cup against (below-) average opponents.

That being said, I'm really impressed with Kepa. No big complaints with him so far.

3 hours ago, pHaRaOn said:

Courtois didn't play in Europa League and EFL Cup against (below-) average opponents.

True but clean sheets are clean sheets and if you want to get all picky, then Courtois kept 1 clean sheet in 2 League Cup appearances, which is the same amount as Kepa and both played against Premier League oppositions. Courtois may have played in the Champions League but the quality of opponents weren't exactly proper UCL level with his only 2 clean sheets coming against Schalke and Sporting Lisbon. In the Premier League, Courtois ended 2014/15 with 13 clean sheets. Kepa's currently on 9 (only Alisson has more clean sheets than him after 20 games). Should be able to get at least 5 more in the remaining 18 games.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

True but clean sheets are clean sheets and if you want to get all picky, then Courtois kept 1 clean sheet in 2 League Cup appearances, which is the same amount as Kepa and both played against Premier League oppositions. Courtois may have played in the Champions League but the quality of opponents weren't exactly proper UCL level with his only 2 clean sheets coming against Schalke and Sporting Lisbon. In the Premier League, Courtois ended 2014/15 with 13 clean sheets. Kepa's currently on 9 (only Alisson has more clean sheets than him after 20 games). Should be able to get at least 5 more in the remaining 18 games.

Courtois played twice against against Liverpool, while Kepa faced Bournemouth.

Anyway, I don't want to downplay Kepa. As I said, he's been more than good and most certainly will have more clean-sheets this season in PL than Courtois in his first season.

48 minutes ago, Tomo said:

He's had 10 clean sheets in 21 league games and 15 in 27 in all comps, that would be considered excellent numbers even for prime Cech.

Love him, GK (other than back-up if Bulka doesn't work out) is sorted for years

55 minutes ago, Tomo said:

He's had 10 clean sheets in 21 league games and 15 in 27 in all comps, that would be considered excellent numbers even for prime Cech.

Defence is definitely not the problem for this team. Also credit to Sarri for making it so solid.

Kepa has been one of our better players this season alongside Hazard, Luiz and Rudiger

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Only Alisson has more clean sheets than Kepa this season. Kepa is two behind Alisson and two ahead of Ederson and Lloris.

With Marcos fucking Alonso playing in front of him, the bloke is a goalkeeping genius :D 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, MrExcalibur100 said:

He's freaking brilliant. Makes me not even remember a great keeper like Courtois left us. He's that good. His distribution is a million times better than Courtois' mediocre distribution plus he's an excellent shot stopper. The best distribution of any Chelsea keeper probably ever. His command of the box has really impressed/surprised me.  Love everything about Kepa. He's been easily one of our best players this season.

I agree, joining to replace Courtois with that price tag and a relatively young age for a goalkeeper with no Premiership experience I expected a bit of a rough ride this season but he has been excellent.

And there is no doubt his distribution and ability on the ball is a different class. What we're trying to accomplish under Sarri and playing out from the back would not be possible without Kepa and Luiz. Rudiger is more than competent enough to play that way but Kepa is one of the best ball playing keepers I've seen around and Luiz for me is currently the best ball playing centre back in England, possibly Europe.