Mateo Kovacic

Unionjack

Lampard on Kovacic's first goal...

https://metro.co.uk/2019/11/27/frank-lampard-told-mateo-kovacic-needs-score-goals-strike-valencia-11230735/

‘We’ve had a lot of jokes between me and him and the whole squad and him because he’s a player of such quality that should score more goals,’ Lampard said in his post-match press conference.

‘It’s a project for me, for him and the whole staff to get him more goals and he could have scored two today.

‘I’m delighted for him and I hope that’s the start of something new.’

• 2 weeks later...

‘I’ve had the celebration prepared for a while because I didn’t score last season!’ Kovacic joked.

‘It’s actually for my nieces. I have two nieces, one of which has Down’s Syndrome, and they do that [hand action] with me a lot. I love her a lot and the celebration was for them.

‘It’s nice when you score and you can celebrate with the family. They have waited a long time but now I hope I can continue like that.’

:wub:

• 2 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, Tomo said:

I'm going to put this out there, he's our most important player.

He has to be the first name on the team sheet in every league and CL game from now on, Jorginho and Kante can be the ones rotating depending on opposition.

The latter we should be genuinely considering offers from other clubs. Especially if it's over 100 million. 

Sadly, I think we may be at a point where we need to move on from Kante. 

44 minutes ago, Tomo said:

I'm going to put this out there, he's our most important player.

He has to be the first name on the team sheet in every league and CL game from now on, Jorginho and Kante can be the ones rotating depending on opposition.

I have to argue that it is more of Jorginho problem rather than kova importance. If Jorginho play, Mount has to play because Jorginho will play as regista and we need another midfielder. 

4 minutes ago, MoroccanBlue said:

The latter we should be genuinely considering offers from other clubs. Especially if it's over 100 million. 

Sadly, I think we may be at a point where we need to move on from Kante. 

Agreed, although I don't think he's as average technically as made out he will have quite a decline when his engine goes. 

I think a £100m plus offer should be accepted, even from a rival.

5 minutes ago, communicate said:

I have to argue that it is more of Jorginho problem rather than kova importance. If Jorginho play, Mount has to play because Jorginho will play as regista and we need another midfielder. 

Jorginho/Kova/Mount is my preferred trio against lesser sides. That game at Watford was an absolute delight.

2 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Jorginho/Kova/Mount is my preferred trio against lesser sides. That game at Watford was an absolute delight.

Against lesser side, I personally prefer 4231

Mount/pulisic as no 10. 

kova + kante as double pivot. 

And if the opp has no super RW play freaking Alonso. 

13 minutes ago, Jason said:

Thanks Mateo. Thanks for turning into Bakayoko and making me look like a fool today. :rant:

He's not an impact sub, he should start or stay on the bench.

He's been our best player this season so if anyone deserves to have a stinker quietly forgotten about its him.

• 4 weeks later...

Lampard on Kovacic...

https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/loftus-cheek-needs-time-but-chelsea-miss-his-goals-lampard/11b50gt85jwh01swc6mu7yrzvq

Lampard said he was part of the conversation to turn the Croatian's Real Madrid loan move into a £40.3 million [€48m/$52m] move last summer.

"[Kovacic] was the one (player) that we could bring in because of the situation," Lampard said. "I watched him last year and I liked him from afar. It maybe wasn’t the easiest year for him and some times his started, some times he didn’t.

"But I just saw a natural talent in the way that he can take people out of midfield and travel really quickly with the ball and play really nice combinations. I think it’s not the norm, always, you have a high level of that.

"But there are other parts of his game that we want him to improve. We want him to score more goals and defensively when he is in deep defensive areas, of course, he has to be very aware to pick up runners and do that job as well. I liked him. I was part of that process and I want to work with him more.”