Jorginho

Unionjack

1 minute ago, Tomo said:

I actually blame Lampard more for Kante's problems (and I said as much even when I was largely content with his work early on).

He was shoehorning him into every single game he was available for despite the fact we were playing well in his absence (especially vs the lesser sides) and not only was it bad for Kante it buggered our momentum three times. I know Tuchel has utilised a formation better suited to his strengths but I think adequete rotation based on opponents has played just as big a part in his revival, if not more so.

fair point as well 👍🏽

🇮🇹 Italy Hero Jorginho's Top Tips On Keeping Calm and Composed | Like a Pro

AKedOLSw4buOZkVDW4KPj_RrYqbM6rQ8svq6j38x

2.91M subscribers
What's going through Jorginho's head during his trademark penalty run-up? And how does he keep cool under the pressure of taking a spot-kick? The Blues midfielder tells all exclusively in Like a Pro... Download Chelsea FC's official mobile app: -App Store https://apple.co/2vvlN9t -Play Store http://bit.ly/2MfNJHX Subscribe: http://che.lc/YTsubscribe To watch more EXCLUSIVE Chelsea content go to: http://che.lc/YTwebsite
Edited by Vesper

JORGINHO DOES THE ‘ICE TRAE’ AND GETS A REACTION FROM THE ATLANTA HAWKS PLAYER

https://football-italia.net/jorginho-does-the-ice-trae-and-gets-a-reaction-from-the-atlanta-hawks-star/

Jorginho decisive penalty

Atlanta Hawks star Trae Young responded to Jorginho’s ‘ice cold’ celebration after the decisive penalty between Italy and Spain on Tuesday.

The Chelsea midfielder scored the decider when the Azzurri qualified for the EURO 2020 Final winning 4-2 on penalties, as the match ended 1-1 after 120 minutes.

Jorginho’s penalty was in fact ice cold, as he skipped and sent Unai Simon in the wrong direction before celebrating the goal in the same way Trae Young does.

The European Championship is not going unnoticed overseas and the professional basketball player can be added to one of the followers of Italy, as he responded to the Brazilian-born midfielder’s celebration on Twitter.

12 hours ago, Jas said:

As I mentioned, "club and country". Jorginho may have been the player of the tournament so far but he certainly wasn't the best player of the season for us last season. 

And doesn't the Ballon d'Or award take place later in the year or early next year? Still plenty of time for perceptions to be changed.

Mount is deservedly Chelsea Player of the year, he was the most consistent under Lampard and Tuchel. For me him winning felt more like how Willian won player of the year twice. Both players were consistent and had the most “solid” performances.

Jorginho is the Sarri disciple who is making Chelsea and Italy tick. Could he win the Ballon d’Or?

https://theathletic.com/2693307/2021/07/08/jorginho-is-the-sarri-disciple-who-is-making-Chelsea-and-italy-tick-could-he-win-the-ballon-dor/

Do you think Jorginho will do that little hop when he walks up to collect the Ballon d’Or?

It’s a joke, but also a scenario that no longer feels entirely beyond the realm of possibility. Euro 2020 was viewed by many as N’Golo Kante’s opportunity to make his case for winning the most prestigious individual prize in football undeniable, but instead it’s his partner in the Chelsea midfield who stands on the brink of burnishing the Champions League glory of May with a key contribution to another momentous triumph.

Maurizio Sarri thinks it’s on the table. “If he wins the European Championship, he is a candidate for the Ballon d’Or,” Sarri said of Jorginho in an interview with Sportitalia. “He’s a refined player and that’s why everyone doesn’t understand him. He makes everything seem easy, it’s his greatness.”

That’s not surprising; Sarri is Jorginho’s biggest champion and will always be the coach most closely associated with him. But, over the past two years, Chelsea’s most divisive midfielder has successfully untethered himself from the man under whom he first made his name, bolstering his reputation by distinguishing himself in very different midfield contexts for club and country.

A matter of weeks after conquering Manchester City in Porto as one half of Thomas Tuchel’s “double six”, Jorginho has shone as the deepest passer in Roberto Mancini’s dynamic three-man Italy midfield — and in the space of two potentially defining matches for his team at Euro 2020, against Belgium and Spain, he has showcased the full range of what he can bring to a winning team.

Italy’s quarter-final victory over Belgium featured a trademark Jorginho performance. He touched the ball 85 times and played 72 passes, ranking behind only Marco Verratti on his team in terms of both categories, though his 98.6 per cent accuracy was the highest among all starters on both sides.

image_from_ios.png

Many of those passes were short, sideways or backwards offloads to help Mancini’s men maintain control, but there was also a sprinkling of more progressive distribution. In the second minute, he clips the ball first-time into the right channel for Federico Chiesa to chase, enabling the Juventus forward to put Belgium on the defensive.

Jorginho-9.png

Later in the first half, having lulled Belgium’s attackers to sleep with a series of short passes, he slips the ball between Youri Tielemans and Romelu Lukaku to Verratti with space to advance.

Jorginho-10.png

Shortly after the interval, he skips out one team-mate with a sharp diagonal pass to find an unmarked Lorenzo Insigne, giving the Napoli star a chance to drive into the penalty area…

Jorginho-11.png

… Insigne is eventually forced to check back and pass the ball out. Jorginho controls it, evades pressure from behind by the recovering Kevin De Bruyne, then picks the right moment to give the ball back to Insigne with room to attempt another threatening dribble.

Jorginho-12.png

Midway through the second half, Jorginho pulls off his most impressive pass of the match: a first-time half-volley out to the left flank, enabling Insigne to isolate his defender again.

Jorginho-13.png

There were also examples of his intelligent manipulation of space. Here Jorginho offloads the ball to his left, before jogging into an advanced position in Insigne’s usual spot on the left wing…

Jorginho-14.png

He gets it back and quickly slips it inside to Insigne, who is able to swivel and hit a fierce shot that forces Thibaut Courtois into a good save.

Jorginho-15.png

Jorginho has been a slightly more creative presence for Italy at Euro 2020 than he generally is for Chelsea. His shot-creating actions — defined as dribbles, passes or fouls drawn that lead directly to a shot for his team — stand at 2.62 per 90 minutes for this tournament, up from 2.28 in the Premier League last season. The below graphic, which shows all of Jorginho’s touches at Euro 2020, also indicates that his on-ball contributions are happening across a wider area of the pitch.

jorginho_all_touches_so_far_at_euro_2020

But if Chelsea’s run to Champions League glory taught us anything, it’s that Jorginho has more to his game than high-volume, high-efficiency passing – particularly in the 2-0 semi-final victory over Real Madrid at Stamford Bridge, when he provided the defensive foundation in midfield while Kante burst forward to cause chaos in the Spanish giants’ defence.

All of those defensive instincts were called upon against Spain at Wembley, which must be classed as Jorginho’s worst passing game in recent memory.

He touched the ball 51 times in 120 minutes, attempting just 33 passes with 78.8 per cent accuracy. For context, his only 90-minute appearance with fewer touches last season was the Champions League final, and the only comparable matches from 2020-21 in terms of his passing volume and efficiency were the Champions League semi-final second leg against Real Madrid at home (38 passes attempted) and victory against City in Porto (79.5 per cent pass accuracy).

Luis Enrique’s men pressed ferociously to ensure they enjoyed 70.1 per cent possession and, as the below graphic illustrates, most of Jorginho’s forward passes in the match were either clearances or hopeful punts upfield that failed to find a team-mate.

Jorginho_cropped.png

He did, however, make an impressive eight interceptions — more than any other Italian player and a record for any player in a single match in the last two European Championship — to help slow the Spanish onslaught. In the early stages of the semi-final, these occurred in the opposition half as Mancini’s men pressed high; here he picks off a sloppy Sergio Busquets pass out of defence…

Jorginho-1.png

… and immediately lays it off to Chiesa to lead an attack.

Jorginho-2.png

Midway through the first half, he anticipates Mikel Oyarzabal checking back into midfield…

Jorginho-3.png

… and nicks the ball away from him, enabling Italy to remain on the front foot.

Jorginho-4.png

Shortly before half-time, Busquets tries to slip the ball left to Pedri with a drag back and flick, but Jorginho reads it…

Jorginho-5.png

… and pokes the ball away upfield towards Ciro Immobile.

Jorginho-6.png

Early in the second half, he recognises the threat of Spain releasing Ferran Torres with a quick pass over the top…

Jorginho-7.png

… and puts himself in position to cut out the ball, knocking it down to a teammate.

Jorginho-8.png

Italy hardly shut down Spain, who still managed to generate an expected goals (xG) rating of 1.77 through the 120 minutes and find an equaliser through substitute Alvaro Morata. There were moments when Jorginho’s athletic limitations were exposed, particularly once Luis Enrique injected more speed and direct running into his front line.

But overall he did enough to help his team get to penalties and, once there, wheeled out his party piece when the pressure was on: hopping into the air as Wembley held its breath, sitting down Spain goalkeeper Unai Simon and passing the decisive spot kick into the corner of the net with an almost comical level of composure.

“In that moment, I tried to forget what was going on around me, to do what I’d trained to do,” he said simply when asked about the 35th successful penalty of 41 taken in his professional career after the match. “I breathed as I do to be more focused and then I did what I had to do.”

Is the Ballon d’Or realistic? If winning the Champions League and European Championship in the same year would have been enough to make Kante a credible candidate in the eyes of many, the same should probably be true of Jorginho. Could we even say the same for Mason Mount if England triumph on Sunday?

There is always a degree of folly in debating individual awards in a team sport; excellence can be specific but success in football is always collective, and determining individual credit for it will always be an “eye of the beholder” conversation with no right or wrong answer.

What can be said with confidence is that Jorginho is playing the most impactful, winning football of his career for club and country right now. His performances on the biggest stages have entrenched him as a key player for Chelsea and Italy, moving him well beyond his long-held status as the divisive symbol of “Sarriball”.

That transformation is secure regardless of whether or not Jorginho becomes a European champion for the second time in as many months on Sunday — and it’s the most impressive achievement of all.

18 hours ago, NikkiCFC said:

According to bookies he is 3rd favorite to win UEFA player of the tournament award. Only Kane and Sterling ahead. So if Italy win he will most likely get it.

Kane? Hes been shit for most of the tournament bar the last 2 games. Sterling deservedly up there been Englands best player probably. 

Edited by OneMoSalah

Just now, Magic Lamps said:

He had a few big performances in this tournament but this  surely was not one of them.

Was a lot better second half when Mancini switched Insigne into a more central role though. But all of them were. Unfortunate with his penalty but should have stuck it same side he did v Spain.

Penalty miss and Donnarumma's subsequent save for Saka probably cost him player of the tournament.

From about 20 minutes onwards and particularly in the second half him and Verratti dominated England. It was almost embarrassing in the second half how timid England were. I couldn't understand that Southgate didn't copy the formula that Spain implemented, pushing players high on Verratti and Jorginho. I think scoring so early was the worst thing that could have happened to England to be honest, despite the talent, too many players in that team have very little experience of winning trophies and seeing that out.

5 hours ago, Superblue_1986 said:

From about 20 minutes onwards and particularly in the second half him and Verratti dominated England. It was almost embarrassing in the second half how timid England were. I couldn't understand that Southgate didn't copy the formula that Spain implemented, pushing players high on Verratti and Jorginho. I think scoring so early was the worst thing that could have happened to England to be honest, despite the talent, too many players in that team have very little experience of winning trophies and seeing that out.

You seem to have forgotten that Spain have a much better midfield than England. 

1 hour ago, kiwi1691 said:

You seem to have forgotten that Spain have a much better midfield than England. 

There's more than one way to skin a cat. Yes, Spain/Italy have better midfielders than England from a technical perspective but don't think they are better from a physical standpoint. Even Mancini said it post-game last night but England never bullied or tried to bully Italy's midfield out of their rhythm. 

No doubt he had a great tournament, but his penalty miss could have been really costly for Italy on another day, Donnarumma saved his blushes, i will never be a fan of his penalty taking style. It worked vs Spain, but this time it backfired.

2 hours ago, Johnnyeye said:

No doubt he had a great tournament, but his penalty miss could have been really costly for Italy on another day, Donnarumma saved his blushes, i will never be a fan of his penalty taking style. It worked vs Spain, but this time it backfired.

He has taken a Chelsea pen before without the hop, can't remember who against maybe Spurs?

The hop isn't my favoured choice of penalty style but his overall penalty record for Chelsea and Napoli holds up against other players. And I much prefer the way Jorgi and Bruno take a penalty to the way Rashford and Sancho tried to take theirs with about 25 stutters in their run up.