Sarri But Not Sarri Thread

14 minutes ago, Fulham Broadway said:

Two Chelsea rejects, fiddling while Rome burns...

Too bad Conte is gone. Otherwise 3 former Chelsea managers vying for supremacy would have been fun!

hace 9 minutos, NikkiCFC dijo:

I absolutely love all Sarri, Conte and Mourinho. Dont know why some Chelsea fans hate them...

I still find it moronic how eager people were to see Sarri sacked within like 6/7 months here. Or how unappreciative/impatient people were with what he was trying to do because there was signs there that in our half and the middle third we were doing what he wanted but we needed more in attack. Yet Frank comes in and the word patience which has rarely ever been used here, is all of a sudden the way to go.… Nobody can argue we’d really improved in 18 months with Frank because we had spent like another 3 seasons now trying to find a good option at number 9 and make the attack more fluid, as opposed to reliant on one player. Plus the football at times with Framk was even worse in attack. Fullbacks spamming crosses in to 5 ft 7 players. 

I get he was stubborn with his methods and got out when the ban was in to go to Juventus but he was effectively shoved out the door more or less by the lack of backing he got. Look into what he said after the Europa League final. No surprise few weeks later he left, would of probably done so even if Juventus never came in for him. 

Plus maybe he never truly has the connection with the fans but ultimately it works both ways also. For example, during that period the fans booing Jorginho v Malmo is definitely one of the most embarrassing things I can remember in recent times involving us in a football game. Or our own fans jeering Sarri making subs etc instead of getting behind the team.

Edited by OneMoSalah

2 hours ago, NikkiCFC said:

Not only RLC, he also wants Alonso and Kepa!

Even if all 3 are loans that would be too much money for their salaries.

Wow. This would turn out to be pretty incredible but still think as much as we all want these moves/the cash to come in for players who dont play often, it would be unlikely all 3 go in the same windows never mins to the same team. 

Re Kepa, don’t Lazio not already have Thomas Strakosha, who is a pretty decent GK and Pepe Reina, who worked with Sarri at Napoli? 

• 4 weeks later...

Really interesting interview, and I think dispels what I always felt was a myth that the club wanted him out. 

I do wonder quite a bit what would have happened had Sarri stayed at the club. On one hand, I do think towards the end of the season we were on an upward curve which culminated in a rather embarrassingly (well for them) one sided final against Arsenal. But then we were losing Hazard who had been critical for Sarri. 

It's interesting he mentions the squad Chelsea have now is tailor made for his style of football with the players that have been brought in. Would these players have been targeted or obtained under Sarri? Would players like Mount and James have come through under him? 

Ultimately everything has worked out really well for us when you think just 2 years ago we were losing Hazard, had quite an ageing squad and were staring into a transfer ban. But it is definitely a real 'What If?' moment.

2 hours ago, Jas said:

Well this is interesting.

I think we all kind of expected that the club would of sacked him if he didn’t leave due to the relationship with a large % of the fans. Maybe not but it looked incredibly likely, like few weeks before Frank got sacked the rumours were already in full motion that he would be sacked eventually, they were going round same way for Sarri. 

And Marina wanting him to stay? That totally contradicts the feeling he was giving out with the whole “back me and & will stay” or “if I am only judged on Europa League final, sack me now” comments. 

But maybe now having had 2 jobs for 1 season he feels like he fucked up aye. He was taking wee pot shots at us when he was at Juventus. 

2 hours ago, Superblue_1986 said:

Really interesting interview, and I think dispels what I always felt was a myth that the club wanted him out. 

I do wonder quite a bit what would have happened had Sarri stayed at the club. On one hand, I do think towards the end of the season we were on an upward curve which culminated in a rather embarrassingly (well for them) one sided final against Arsenal. But then we were losing Hazard who had been critical for Sarri. 

It's interesting he mentions the squad Chelsea have now is tailor made for his style of football with the players that have been brought in. Would these players have been targeted or obtained under Sarri? Would players like Mount and James have come through under him? 

Ultimately everything has worked out really well for us when you think just 2 years ago we were losing Hazard, had quite an ageing squad and were staring into a transfer ban. But it is definitely a real 'What If?' moment.

I think he took Reece to that charity game didn’t he? It was after his loan at Wigan finished IIRC and well he wasn’t a big fan of Zappacosta by looks of how many games he played. Plus I feel Mount would of made it under most managers here and he would of been much in that role that Barkley and Ruben was playing I think. 

There was an interview or a presser when I think Sarri had mentioned a few of the guys out on loan doing well. Plus he did use Callum and Ruben, so the signs were maybe there that he would of used Mason and Reece as well and perhaps Tammy (although much less suited to how his teams played).

Edited by OneMoSalah

8 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

I think we all kind of expected that the club would of sacked him if he didn’t leave due to the relationship with a large % of the fans. Maybe not but it looked incredibly likely, like few weeks before Frank got sacked the rumours were already in full motion that he would be sacked eventually, they were going round same way for Sarri. 

Am sure Sarri would have been sacked had he stayed for a second season and results continued to go awry, considering the number of times he was supposedly on the verge of being sacked in 2018/19. He also wouldn't have the "first season free pass" Lampard got to go about his job freely.

13 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

Well this is interesting.

And Marina wanting him to stay? That totally contradicts the feeling he was giving out with the whole “back me and & will stay” or “if I am only judged on Europa League final, sack me now” comments. 

But maybe now having had 2 jobs for 1 season he feels like he fucked up aye. He was taking wee pot shots at us when he was at Juventus. 

I think he took Reece to that charity game didn’t he? It was after his loan at Wigan finished IIRC and well he wasn’t a big fan of Zappacosta by looks of how many games he played. Plus I feel Mount would of made it under most managers here and he would of been much in that role that Barkley and Ruben was playing I think. 

There was an interview or a presser when I think Sarri had mentioned a few of the guys out on loan doing well. Plus he did use Callum and Ruben, so the signs were maybe there that he would of used Mason and Reece as well and perhaps Tammy (although much less suited to how his teams played).

I think they would have been used by Sarri, especially with the transfer ban. However I find it difficult to believe either would have played anywhere near the amount that they have over the last 2 seasons under Lampard, then Tuchel. Obviously such a massive exposure to game time has certainly been a huge factor in their growth and development over the last couple of years.

4 hours ago, Superblue_1986 said:

He actually name checked Mount as one of the players he wished he worked with.

At the start of Lampard's reign we were actually playing great at times sensational football even though the results weren't always great, I tried to convince myself it was signs he was a great coach and once he got better players he'd thrive but in hindsight it appeared to be a perfect overlap of Sarri's tactics and Lampard's more express yourself ball, there's no other way to explain going from out possesioning a Pep Guardiola side to what we saw last winter (with better players in the latter time).

So with that in mind I think Sarri would have done better than assumed even without Hazard.

SARRI: ‘RONALDO’S MANAGEMENT IS NOT SIMPLE, JORGINHO A BALLON D’OR CANDIDATE’

https://football-italia.net/sarri-jorginho-a-candidate-for-ballon-dor-if-he-wins-the-euros/

Maurizio Sarri

Lazio coach Maurizio Sarri said Jorginho should be a candidate for the Ballon d’Or ‘if he wins the European Championship’ and opened up about his relationship with Cristiano Ronaldo at Juventus.

Jorginho has impressed with Chelsea and Italy this year, winning the Champions League at club level and helping the Azzurri to the semi-finals of EURO 2020.

Ahead of Tuesday’s match against Spain, his former coach at both Napoli and Chelsea praised the Brazilian-born midfielder.

“If he wins the European Championship, he is a candidate for the Ballon d’Or,” Sarri told SportItalia. “He’s a refined player and that’s why everyone doesn’t understand him.

“He makes everything seem easy, it’s his greatness. When I went to Chelsea, we managed to snatch him from Manchester City.

“At first it was hard to understand him, the fans, the journalist, now I see that he is appreciated. He was also the captain of Chelsea.”

The former Napoli coach spoke to the press for the first time since accepting the role at Lazio, as he signed a two-year deal to replace Simone Inzaghi at the Olimpico.

Sarri also spoke about his year off and his time at Juventus.

The 62-year-old signed a three-year deal with the Bianconeri in 2019 and won the Serie A title before being sacked after just one season in Turin.

Sarri was fired the day after facing Champions League elimination at the hands of Lyon. However, he remained under contract with the Old Lady until June 2021, when the Serie A giants activated their €2m clause to rescind the coach’s contract one year before its expiration.

“In these 332 days without speaking, I have been with my family. I have read a lot, I have watched many games. And I have watched many cycling races, one of the things I like the most,” Sarri said.

“I come from a family of cyclists, it’s a family passion. It’s been a very special year; it didn’t bother me so much to be out. The situation didn’t make me want to come back.”

Sarri felt his Scudetto with Juventus was ‘taken for granted’ and said the Bianconeri ‘didn’t even celebrate’ winning the ninth consecutive Serie A title.

“The Scudetto was taken for granted at Juventus, both on the outside and on the inside,” Sarri claimed. “We didn’t even celebrate; everyone went to dinner on their own.

“Probably the best year to go to Juventus was this, the fourth place was celebrated. In football, victory is not a foregone conclusion. Sometimes you work hard and you can’t win.

“Football this year, with the empty stadiums, didn’t excite me. It was not a heavy year, I didn’t struggle being out. Now that the fans are back, the desire has regained the upper hand.”

Sarri revealed he never considered returning to Napoli in the middle of the season and was only prepared to return to coaching from the summer.

“I didn’t consider returning to Napoli because I was not sure if I would be useful in the middle of the season,” he said. “And there were no conditions.

“I would have been available for Napoli in the summer. In January they looked for me, but there was no real negotiation.

“There was only an interest. To all the clubs that asked about me, I said the same thing: ‘Not in the middle of the season, but if you want me, I’m here’.”

Sarri explained he had a difficult experience managing Cristiano Ronaldo at Juventus and feels people are more focused ‘on players and little about teams’.

His relationship with CR7 was a matter of debate during Sarri’s reign at the Allianz Stadium.

The Portuguese star was replaced twice by the Tuscan tactician and once, in the home game against Milan, he stormed off the pitch, showing his discontent for the coach’s decision.

“Ronaldo’s management is not simple, from all points of view,” Sarri added. “He’s a multinational company, he has personal interests that must coincide with football.

“His interests go beyond normalcy, beyond the team or club. I’m a coach, not a manager. Ronaldo, however, brings the numbers at the end of the year. But in recent years, I hear a lot about players and little about teams.”

Sarri praised Argentine Paulo Dybala, who was voted the MVP of Serie A during his year at the Bianconeri but struggled to keep up the good performances the following season due to injuries.

“He’s a champion, he’s not difficult to recover,” Sarri said. “He has lived a strange year, he had many injuries, but a player of his quality is easy to recover.

“For Juve, the time has come to decide. Either they go with him or sell.”

The former Chelsea coach praised Roberto De Zerbi’s decision to join Shakhtar Donetsk after another successful year with Sassuolo and claimed the 42-year-old is ‘the new Sarri’.

“He did well to go to Shakhtar, it gives him an international stage,” Sarri continued. “It’s a pity not to see him in Italy, it’s a pity that no clubs went for him. He’s the new Sarri.”

9 hours ago, Jas said:

Am sure Sarri would have been sacked had he stayed for a second season and results continued to go awry, considering the number of times he was supposedly on the verge of being sacked in 2018/19. He also wouldn't have the "first season free pass" Lampard got to go about his job freely.

I think he probably would of done better than expected though. I mean you’d of thought it would have been a travesty if he had stayed.

We had a clear identity, just not enough movement or cutting edge in the final third. He has talked about players like Hazard and Ronaldo and having to tailor his tactics to them since leaving Juventus and here and maybe when you play in such a way, it doesn’t help.

8 hours ago, Tomo said:

He actually name checked Mount as one of the players he wished he worked with.

At the start of Lampard's reign we were actually playing great at times sensational football even though the results weren't always great, I tried to convince myself it was signs he was a great coach and once he got better players he'd thrive but in hindsight it appeared to be a perfect overlap of Sarri's tactics and Lampard's more express yourself ball, there's no other way to explain going from out possesioning a Pep Guardiola side to what we saw last winter (with better players in the latter time).

So with that in mind I think Sarri would have done better than assumed even without Hazard.

The interview further up had a great quote along the lines of nobody talking about teams due to focusing on individual players and I get the feeling that sort of sums up his experience at both Chelsea and Juventus. 

Maybe he is better at smaller clubs building teams up, improving young/up and coming players who haven’t achieved what most of these players at Chelsea or Juventus would have achieved in their careers. Throw on top his lack of medals as a manager maybe doesn’t help either trying to convince some of these guys his way is the best way. Or changing his tactics to better suit 1 player more as opposed to all 11 players. 

Definitely think he would have done better than Frank in say the last 8 or so months of his spell (first half of the first season was good then it started going back to well one week we were decent next week no idea what to expect and a lot of inconsistencies/mistakes) and even more so his team here this season, with those players, I don’t think many could have a team of that players underachieving and playing as poorly. 

Edited by OneMoSalah

1 minute ago, OneMoSalah said:

I think he probably would of done better than expected though. I mean you’d of thought it would have been a travesty if he had stayed.

It's debatable considering he was so rigid and inflexible in his ways. Perhaps am saying this on hindsight but don't it was a bad thing he chose to jump ship to Juventus back then.