Michy Batshuayi

Hamilton

On 18/08/2019 at 10:00 AM, OhForAGreavsie said:

Perhaps Frank and Jody want to leave a path for Charlie Brown to serve as our third choice striker. I've seen Charlie twice this season (once on TV) and he's seemed a bit lacklustre to me. I like Charlie, but using him as number three looks bold. That's OK, I've no problem with Frank being bold. Assuming this is his decision of course.

Image result for Charlie Brown

On 18/08/2019 at 1:56 PM, Tomo said:

Yes.

Put Michy one on one with a keeper and he'll tuck it away I'll give him that but the modern game especially at the top level requires so much more, even the very best poachers (RVN, Mario Gomez) get upgraded on eventually by strikers not as good at finishing but a better all round game (Saha/RVN, Mandzukic/Gomez, Lukaku/Rashford prime examples) and every time the team got better (or appear to be getting better in the latters case) as a result.

I'm not convinced by Tammy in the long run and i ain't particularly a big fan of Giroud but tactically I much prefer them, the openings we created against United and Liverpool I have never seen us create so many chances with MB playing, mainly because his movement is so wack it gives the whole team less space to operate.

If he's happy to be our Origi (ie someone to randomenly chuck on in the final 10 to mix things up when the game becomes a bit more end to end) then I wouldn't mind keeping him, but for starting games? Forget it.

Martial is now Manure's striker, not Rashford

he just scored a great goal v Wolves as such :rant:

just as UJ and I were begging for him to come here as our striker since I around the time I joined the board

So I wanted to give you a rating from me regards Batsmans performance today. I started at minute 30 and if I understood correctely, Michy had one big chance in that time. He scored two good goals, whichone of them was a goal keeper mistake, but the way Michy took the goal was still very calm and impressive. He missed 2 very big chances, which he really should have scored in the time I watched the game. One was a bit similar how Tammy missed against Pool only two metres more away from the goal. One other big chance he missed was where he stood in front of the goalkeeper in a 1 vs 1 situation and he decided to shoot at the  goalkeeper. He should have done way better at that situation and it showed to me that 1 vs 1 situations are not his favourite things. He also missed a big chance similar in pre season, only in that situation the ball came back to him again and he scored in his second try. His hold up play was decent, I don´t thin that Pools pressure was that good and Michy had a lot of time to think and place his passes. He seemed very calm. Later on he had another good chance. Anjorin gave him a good pass and he was running to the goal from the left side and aimed to the far post, which he missed by 1 or 2 metres.Can happen. Tammy missed a similar chances, but Tammy gets slaughtered when he misses those^^.

All in all he scored 2 goals of six big chances. Against the smaller teams, I think that he should be good enough. Against the big teams, he has to be given a fair chance. His hold up play against Pool U23 looked good, but there were nowhere near the level of Pools pressing, so I still think that this will be a big issue for him. Against the smaller teams, he should score some goals. Also, it is a question how many chances Michy will get in a game. For instance, Tammy in his last game had one chance from outside the box, while if I remember correctely, Giroud had no chance against Leicester. He don´t create that many chances, especially high quality chances in our first team for our strikers. Castillo for example made wonderful crosses two Anjorin and Michy. Emerson and Azpi can´t cross the ball anyway near his level. I still would try Michy out in his next game.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

As I said, scoring 2 goals vs an inferior opposition and being poor otherwise is just the most Bats Bats thing there is. But we needed his first goal today and he took it well enough.  With Giroud unavailable it is ckear why he has a role in this squad 

On 26/09/2019 at 0:54 AM, Magic Lamps said:

As I said, scoring 2 goals vs an inferior opposition and being poor otherwise is just the most Bats Bats thing there is. But we needed his first goal today and he took it well enough.  With Giroud unavailable it is ckear why he has a role in this squad 

As you say, the problem is that once again Bats was poor on Wednesday. The goals did not rescue his performance. He has a role in the squad because he's here and a better player isn't. That can, and must, be remedied asap.

Full disclosure; I liked Bats when he first arrived. I was wrong.

• 2 weeks later...