Michy Batshuayi

Hamilton

Matt Law's Chelsea briefing tmg_smt_glyph_sport.png

Why Batshuayi is such a valuable commodity 

By Matt Law Football News Correspondent

Michy Batshuayi

The Batshuayi advantage (credit: PA)

Michy Batshuayi scored his second goal in three games for Crystal Palace at the weekend and, in doing so, gave further encouragement that he might prove to be a valuable bargaining chip for Chelsea.

Chelsea hope they can at least delay their two-window transfer ban from Fifa by appealing, which would ensure they would be able to trade this summer.

That belief was perhaps best given away by the embarrassing ‘Media Watch’ section on the club’s website that was last week ridiculed for asking supporters which players they would like Chelsea to sign.

Putting aside all the reasons why ‘Media Watch’ is a terrible idea for a club such as Chelsea, the feature did at least make it clear that the Blues expect to be able to sign players in the next transfer window.

Balancing the books in the transfer market has been a reality for Chelsea since Financial Fair Play was introduced, which makes somebody like Batshuayi such a valuable commodity.

Having suffered a difficult first half of the season on loan at Valencia, Batshuayi returned to England to join Palace until the end of the season. The loan deal was completed in the final hours of the January transfer window and promises to prove an important piece of business.

Not only is Batshuayi boosting his value by proving he can score goals in the Premier League, ahead of an expected permanent departure in the summer, he also gives Chelsea an advantage over some of their rivals.

Palace duo Wilfried Zaha and Aaron Wan-Bissaka will both feature on the wanted lists of Europe’s top clubs this summer, with the Selhurst Park club likely to sell at least one of them.

With Eden Hazard expected to move to Real Madrid, forward Zaha would appear to be the most likely target for Chelsea. Wan-Bissaka is a right-back of considerable talent, but the Blues have Reece James waiting in the wings.

Palace are expected to try to make Batshuayi’s loan permanent and that opens the door for Chelsea to try to use him in a deal to sign either Zaha or Wan-Bissaka.

Other clubs, such as Manchester City and United, may be able to offer more money, but the prospect of taking Batshuayi as part of any transfer may well be more appealing to Palace who have been desperate to land a capable striker.

Zaha or Wan-Bissaka would also boost Chelsea’s home-grown quota, which is likely to be hit by the expected departures of Gary Cahill, Danny Drinkwater and Victor Moses, so the club will be hoping Batshuayi keeps hitting the back of the net.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Video: Chelsea loanee Batshuayi bags quick-fire double for Crystal Palace

https://www.caughtoffside.com/2019/05/12/video-chelsea-loanee-batshuayi-bags-quick-fire-double-for-crystal-palace/

5 EPL goals in only 700ish minutes for Palace

16 minutes ago, Atholy said:

I would take him back next season! Surely will be more productive than Giroud & Higuain if given same amount of time!

Agree he seems to have improved -tell him to bring Zaha as well 

11 hours ago, Fulham Broadway said:

Agree he seems to have improved -tell him to bring Zaha as well 

I dont thnk he has improved at all sicne joining us from Marseille which is mainly because he has 0 footballing intelligence. He is the Willian of centre forwards. All the primary skills (pace, strength, finishing, aerial ability, positioning) needed for his position but none of the secondary ones (game intelligence, anticipation, off the ball movement, link-up play, passing).  He is still a bang average footballer but he is at least athletic and mobile so he would score a lot more than HIgs and Giroud even though he will be just as frustrating to watch when fucking up attacks with his poor link-up play. But i 'd rather have a striker who is useless in link-up play but scores than someone who is ok at link-up play like the ones we got but either cant finish or is too slow to get into finishing positions.

Giroud is just terrible in the box because he is so stiff and immobile. Whenever Hazard puts a brilliant low cross into the box giroud can do fuck all with it because he niether has the anticipation nor the agility to get in front of his marker and connect with it. And when he does he tries some outlandish backheel flick. Giroud on the other hand is still a world class finisher but can be taken out of the game by his inability to move back from offside and can easily intercepted when on the ball as he is so fucking slow in acceleration. Also he has a movement radius of a beermat. Michy as an athletic all round package. whilst without any outstanding physical qualities he is always either stronger, quicker, more agile or simply faster to react than his marker which makes every ball you send in to him in the box a potential goal. 

1 hour ago, Magic Lamps said:

I dont thnk he has improved at all sicne joining us from Marseille which is mainly because he has 0 footballing intelligence. He is the Willian of centre forwards. All the primary skills (pace, strength, finishing, aerial ability, positioning) needed for his position but none of the secondary ones (game intelligence, anticipation, off the ball movement, link-up play, passing).  He is still a bang average footballer but he is at least athletic and mobile so he would score a lot more than HIgs and Giroud even though he will be just as frustrating to watch when fucking up attacks with his poor link-up play. But i 'd rather have a striker who is useless in link-up play but scores than someone who is ok at link-up play like the ones we got but either cant finish or is too slow to get into finishing positions.

Giroud is just terrible in the box because he is so stiff and immobile. Whenever Hazard puts a brilliant low cross into the box giroud can do fuck all with it because he niether has the anticipation nor the agility to get in front of his marker and connect with it. And when he does he tries some outlandish backheel flick. Giroud on the other hand is still a world class finisher but can be taken out of the game by his inability to move back from offside and can easily intercepted when on the ball as he is so fucking slow in acceleration. Also he has a movement radius of a beermat. Michy as an athletic all round package. whilst without any outstanding physical qualities he is always either stronger, quicker, more agile or simply faster to react than his marker which makes every ball you send in to him in the box a potential goal. 

''But i 'd rather have a striker who is useless in link-up play but scores than someone who is ok at link-up play''

Agree  Costa, Van Nistleroy, Lineker type poacher would be great, and the bits I've seen of Bats recently seem to show signs of that -as with Abraham but still not at a title/CL winning level. 

He does seem a natural Palace level player, but with the looming ban could bring another dimension to the static present options. I also think Wilf Zaha would be a fantastic pain reliever if Hazard joins the government sponsored Spanish corporates.

18 minutes ago, Fulham Broadway said:

also think Wilf Zaha would be a fantastic pain reliever if Hazard joins the government sponsored Spanish corporates.

I agree with getting Zaha mate he was excellent against Bournemouth on Sunday he's  Great talent but I think palace will play hard for us to get him 

13 minutes ago, the wes said:

I agree with getting Zaha mate he was excellent against Bournemouth on Sunday he's  Great talent but I think palace will play hard for us to get him 

Always rated him - can be a bit hot headed, but then a lot of the good strikers are 

24 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

And Hitler earned 4500 times more. Doesnt mean you cant judge him lol.

What position would Hitler have played ? I reckon a sort of holding midfielder, always tapping at opponents ankles, trying to annex their penalty area, invading their six yard box