The Conte Thread

Lots of people on Twitter saying we switched to a 4-1-4-1 in the second half.. More so when Kante/Oscar came on. 

I mean, that sounds like a very interesting proposition. You figure both Cesc/Kante have to start. Leaving Matic/Oscar/Chalobah to battle it out for that last spot, and given Chalobah's displays, even in limited minutes, he may find himself starting more often than not. 

-----------------Costa

Hazard--Kante--Cesc--Willian

--------------Chalobah--

Azpi--Please a New CB--Terry---Aina

2 minutes ago, Melanicus said:

Play 433

Kante-Chalobah-Cesc/RLC/Oscar

424 sucks for many reasons, starting with our CBs

CB* Cahill has looked vulnerable a lot so far; Terry (aside from the raw pace of Mane) has been just fine.

Zouma can't come back soon enough.

"Oscar is an important player and I think the season when Chelsea won the title, he played a fantastic season. Last season was bad for all the players, not only for Oscar or for another player, for all. I think Oscar is a good player with a great talent and he can improve a lot. I am seeing in him a good attitude and a good will."

"I think this match told me a lot - about the players who keep and who can go on loan or we can sell. Today, it was important because I have a more clear idea than before. Now we go back to London and it's important for me, for the club, to talk and take the decision about all the players. In this pre-season we work with 30 players, four goalkeepers and 26 players. A lot of players. Now remains one game against Werder Bremen and then we must take the decision."

"We hope to take the best decision for the club and the players also. The ideas are very clear, but it's important for me to speak about this topic with the club."

-Antonio Conte; source: Chelsea FC

6 minutes ago, Blue_Fox_ said:

"Oscar is an important player and I think the season when Chelsea won the title, he played a fantastic season. Last season was bad for all the players, not only for Oscar or for another player, for all. I think Oscar is a good player with a great talent and he can improve a lot. I am seeing in him a good attitude and a good will."

"I think this match told me a lot - about the players who keep and who can go on loan or we can sell. Today, it was important because I have a more clear idea than before. Now we go back to London and it's important for me, for the club, to talk and take the decision about all the players. In this pre-season we work with 30 players, four goalkeepers and 26 players. A lot of players. Now remains one game against Werder Bremen and then we must take the decision."

"We hope to take the best decision for the club and the players also. The ideas are very clear, but it's important for me to speak about this topic with the club."

-Antonio Conte; source: Chelsea FC

This is the problem with constant changing managers. 

It happen the same with AVB, when we knew about the players AVB had to find out by himself. 

And now the same with Conte, had to wait till try out the players to see what he wants....And now the new season about to start and no new defense.....

Hope he continues with the 4-1-4-1 formation, clearly suits us the best and allows us to dominate possession more. The thing i was most happy about with last nights match was the intense pressing (mostly in the second half), it wasn't just your typical Jose Mourinho high press where the strikers and midfielders will press and maybe 1 fullback, no, the whole team was pressing insanely high up the pitch, and it was great to see Conte on the sidelines barking instructions telling which players should press who. Also i dont think we should completely ditch the 4-2-4, because it will take some time for the players to get used to it considering most if not all have been playing in a three man midfield for the majority of their career, and Conte seems a real fan of it, but from that second half i'm a big fan of having a three man midfield, Chalobah and most noticeably Kante looked right at home. 

6 hours ago, Blue-in-me-Veins said:

Lots of people on Twitter saying we switched to a 4-1-4-1 in the second half.. More so when Kante/Oscar came on. 

I mean, that sounds like a very interesting proposition. You figure both Cesc/Kante have to start. Leaving Matic/Oscar/Chalobah to battle it out for that last spot, and given Chalobah's displays, even in limited minutes, he may find himself starting more often than not. 

-----------------Costa

--------------Chalobah--

Azpi--Please a New CB--Terry---Aina

-----------------Costa

--------------Chalobah--

New LB--New CB--Zouma--Azpi

----------------Courtois

For me, the best team. While Zouma recovers, I'd play JT. It's not a bad team at all though. 

1 LUKAKU / 2 BATS / 3 COSTA 4 TRAORE

1. EDEN / 2 MOSES - NATH - KANTE - 1 SQUARE / 2 WILLIAN

CESCY 

1 NEW LB - 1 NEW CB - 1 HAPPY - 1 DAVE   (OLA - JT bench) 

Its clear we got some problems

Costas looking like hes got no confidence again. WILL a goal or 2 change him?

Matic is a shell of 2012. Is he fast enough for a Conte formation?

I love Cescy but he is slow and not a good defender. He's been inconsistent this pree season. Good one match then nothing. He needs room and time to see the game proper. A CM of Nath/Kant/Cescy might be perfect.

Oscars had some good moments pre season but is it enough to keep him? Conte will have been impressed by his running around so I can see him staying on.

Main problem is - yes! - Defence!

Ola is ok but not to Chelsea quality yet. OK for a bench warmer tho.

JT/Cahil just haven't got the legs or lungs for a Conte side now and Iva was gasping within 10 mins of coming on. All 3 need to go.

So it leaves us with Dave and a not yet fit Happy. We dont agree with anything on here apart from our defence is shite.

Are we going to get it sorted cause if not then we got problens.

But at the same time we got alot of really good things to be building on                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          

2 hours ago, Pizy said:

So people think after that one match Conte will abandon his two striker preference? Not so sure myself.

His dilemma is just finding the best partner for Kante in the middle. 

He did that at Juve, one game of 4-2-4 with Vidal on the right was enough to realise he needed to change tact.

17 minutes ago, Tomo said:

He did that at Juve, one game of 4-2-4 with Vidal on the right was enough to realise he needed to change tact.

But why would we have spent £33m on Michy and why would we want Lukaku for an astronomical amount if we're only playing with one striker at a time? That would be a whole lot of money in forwards riding the bench.

2 hours ago, Pizy said:

So people think after that one match Conte will abandon his two striker preference? Not so sure myself.

His dilemma is just finding the best partner for Kante in the middle. 

He says both systems will be important throughout the season. 

24 minutes ago, The Chels said:

He says both systems will be important throughout the season. 

Good. They both have their place. Against the strongest opposition I'm not sure it's a great idea to play with two strikers. Maybe if we had a better partner for Kante, but our current players would get overrun. We need to pack the midfield against teams like City, United, Spuds. Against lesser opposition we can play two up top.