Filipe Luís

Jase

The key for me has always been Eden Hazard. If Luis can cover for him down the left flank and allow Hazard to focus on what he does best then paying 21M for will be a bargain when Eden is a Ballon D'or winner. He needs a vet behind him with experience in big games... Shaw and Rodriguez don't offer that, actually they make our left flank an area to overload and expose.

Luis is the ideal signing given what we have in this squad.

The key for me has always been Eden Hazard. If Luis can cover for him down the left flank and allow Hazard to focus on what he does best then paying 21M for will be a bargain when Eden is a Ballon D'or winner. He needs a vet behind him with experience in big games... Shaw and Rodriguez don't offer that, actually they make our left flank an area to overload and expose.

Luis is the ideal signing given what we have in this squad.

I'll still rather prefer shaw, but it would be nice to have a mature leftback that knows when its the right time to offer hazard attacking help and still protect the left flank completely if hazard has defensive lapses.

I'll still rather prefer shaw, but it would be nice to have a mature leftback that knows when its the right time to offer hazard attacking help and still protect the left flank completely if hazard has defensive lapses.

Not on the crazy wages being thrown around. Our number one priority as a football club right now is assuring Eden Hazard reaches his full potential because if he does.... Oh man. This of course is my opinion.

Is the fee excessive just because he's a LB? Because fees look so inflated lately that I really don't think 25m euros (not pounds) is that much. Yes, it isn't a bargain like Cesc, but unfortunately we can't do great business like that all the time.

What was Matic's fee anyway? I don't remember but it wasn't about 21m pounds? I think 21m pounds is nearly 25m euros, right? And I saw no one complaining about the fee although he's a couple of years younger.

Also as many said, we need some experienced players to balance out the squad. If Thibaut comes, the only really experienced guy we have is Terry. Cahill and Cesc himself have been around the corner, but Luis reaching an UCL final, being 28-29 adds more experience and we need it.

Is the fee excessive just because he's a LB? Because fees look so inflated lately that I really don't think 25m euros (not pounds) is that much. Yes, it isn't a bargain like Cèsc, but unfortunately we can't do great business like that all the time.

What was Matic's fee anyway? I don't remember but it wasn't about 21m pounds? I think 25m pounds is nearly 25m euros, right? And I saw no one complaining about the fee although he's a couple of years younger.

Also as many said, we need some experienced players to balance out the squad. If Thibaut comes, the only really experienced guy we have is Terry. Cahill and Cesc himself have been around the corner, but Luis reaching an UCL final, being 28-29 adds more experience and we need it.

Exactly. Prices are inflated, sure it's not the greatest deal, but we're never going to get him for £12m or whatever. Cesc wanted to leave, Benfica needed money after getting knocked out the CL. Luis doesn't HAVE to go at Atleti don't want to sell him. It's a decent price for a top notch LB. He's in his prime too, not "old". People want to have 22-25 y/o's on every position. Which isn't good. I want Luis.

Is the fee excessive just because he's a LB? Because fees look so inflated lately that I really don't think 25m euros (not pounds) is that much. Yes, it isn't a bargain like Cèsc, but unfortunately we can't do great business like that all the time.

What was Matic's fee anyway? I don't remember but it wasn't about 21m pounds? I think 25m pounds is nearly 25m euros, right? And I saw no one complaining about the fee although he's a couple of years younger.

Exactly what I'm trying to say Barb, kudos!

It seems like Wing-Back's value is seriously underrated nowadays, if we are signing a world class striker at the same age for the same fee, people will be shouting what a freaking bargain. To me, Wing Back is equally important as midfielder or striker if not more, especially for modern football/tactics. A wing back carries both defensive AND offensive responsibility, and Luis hits the jackpot perfectly.

I think that Filipe Luis is an excellent player, one of the best left backs in the world.

Having said that, paying roughly €25m is not the smartest decision. I can see FL giving us three seasons in his peak, and being an excellent reserve for a year or two, but that transfer would make the largest amount of sense in a transfer environment where excellent left backs were few and far between.

That is not the case right now, we have Alex Sandro, Luke Shaw and Ricardo Rodriguez who are all on the market. While they would most likely cost around the same amount or more while currently being less skilled, they have all showed great potential and could be at a similar level within a few years.

I would understand this transfer more if we got FL for maybe €10m less, but at that price there is little to no reason to ignore the younger options on the market. I assume that Mourinho (if this is his transfer fully through) knows that he must deliver next season and will thus go for a finished product, but I think that the difference between FL and the others is not large enough to motivate such a decision.

Then again, who am I to question the board and Mou? I am certain they know of RR and the others existence, so they are obviously going after FL for either tactical reasons, or the one mentioned earlier. If we win the league or CL next season then these complaints (while valid) will be largely forgotten.

3 years is a very long time in football.

What was Matic's fee anyway? I don't remember but it wasn't about 21m pounds? I think 21m pounds is nearly 25m euros, right? And I saw no one complaining about the fee although he's a couple of years younger.

I remember saying last summer that i was worried that 5 of our 6 AMs were 22 (with the other not trusted by Jose), then added to the fact that we thought Lukaku and MVG were going to need gametime, it was a recipe for disaster even with Jose at the helm.
What the Eto'o and Willian signing's did was offer more age balance.