Filipe Luís

Jase

It is a bit much, but really it's one of the few spots Chelsea really lacks a player in right now and the FFP budget is there for him (and more) and it will only count towards the FFP for the next two years, not like we are locking ourselves down with a 5 year contract. Could go for Ricardo Rodriguez or such, but this seems like the "safe option", then wait and see if in a few years time there's someone even better on the market.

It's really dumb to suggest that because he isn't in the Brazil squad he must not be very good. I mean, Hulk is in the squad and somehow starts every match for fucks sake. He's shit on a stick.

Seriously, normally I'm one of those who love young players just because of the age and their future potential but in this case I really dont mind that we buy an "old" LB. We wont win things with only youngsters (look at Arsenal through the years) and it's important to have some players in their prime. It's a balance between young and old and we need an older player now that we let go of Ash, Lamps and maybe Cech. This deal is very good for us and Luis is an amazing player. I loved watching him for Madrid last season and now he is ours. Great!

I think that Filipe Luis is an excellent player, one of the best left backs in the world.

Having said that, paying roughly €25m is not the smartest decision. I can see FL giving us three seasons in his peak, and being an excellent reserve for a year or two, but that transfer would make the largest amount of sense in a transfer environment where excellent left backs were few and far between.
That is not the case right now, we have Alex Sandro, Luke Shaw and Ricardo Rodriguez who are all on the market. While they would most likely cost around the same amount or more while currently being less skilled, they have all showed great potential and could be at a similar level within a few years.

I would understand this transfer more if we got FL for maybe €10m less, but at that price there is little to no reason to ignore the younger options on the market. I assume that Mourinho (if this is his transfer fully through) knows that he must deliver next season and will thus go for a finished product, but I think that the difference between FL and the others is not large enough to motivate such a decision.

Then again, who am I to question the board and Mou? I am certain they know of RR and the others existence, so they are obviously going after FL for either tactical reasons, or the one mentioned earlier. If we win the league or CL next season then these complaints (while valid) will be largely forgotten.

He's better than Shaw and Rodriguez. I'd rather go with the better option and look to develop someone like Ake than take a wild punt on Shaw or Rodriguez.

This fascination with him being 29 makes me laugh sometimes. 29 is not ancient and should get us at least 3 good seasons out of him which is a remarkably long time in football. Zola was 30 when we bought him and that turned out okay. So was Makelele.

This team needs more ready made players in their prime as opposed to 20 or 21 year olds so I ain't going to be complaining about this deal at all given Luis is as good a LB as their is out there in this moment other than Alaba and possibly Marcelo if you discount how bad he is defensively like everyone else does these days.

Look at who we've signed under Jose since he came back last year.

Matic, Willian, Fabregas, Tiago, Costa & Luis (well they're basically signed). They are all over the age of 25 or more or less and most of them have the prime years of their career just about to come, except Tiago who is in the latter stages of his career (but he will likely only occupy a squad player role I'd imagine). Then we have Schurrle, Salah and Zouma who are younger players that are good players but a lot of potential and time to improve. There is a very nice balance of younger players (Courtois, Hazard, MvG, Oscar, Salah, Zouma, Lukaku), guys coming towards their prime/in their prime (Azpilicueta, Matic, Willian, Fabregas, Ramires, Cahill, Mikel) and then older more experienced heads (Cech, Torres, Terry, Cole, Ivanovic, Tiago too when he comes/if he comes) in the squad and if we get maybe another striker or resign Eto'o and sell Torres then the squad would be very very good.

I call it FIFA/FM syndrome. It seems like there's a general consensus among some posters here that players over something like 27,28 are already in decline. I mean get real folks, it's real world football, not FM that you can buy a bunch of so called gems and win the bloody CL in few years with Yeovil Town!

Filipe Luis is at his peak, one of the best left backs which is super rare unlike other positions, of course it costs premium to bring someone like him to our team because he will be an instant hit with minimum risks. He at least can provide top level service for 3 years ish and who knows if he can do a Pirlo and lasts much longer.

Mou talked about Fabregas and Costa but yet he didnt say a thing about Felipe.

And he talked about building dynasty with young eggs. If thats true then he should after the likes of RR or Shaw.

But who am i to pretend know what he's thinking. This is mourinho after all. Mind games, mind games everywhere :fainthv9:

We already have many younger players in our squad, Oscar, Hazard, Lukaku, Salah, Schurrle, MVG, Courtois and Zouma, we also have players nearing thier prime, Costa, Matic, Willian, Cahill and Cesc. We need more players with experience and Luis offers that. I'm not going to lie though, the fee is a bit excessive, but he is a quality player.