Diego Costa

Spike

People saying Costa wont flop because he has attitude and is different than Torres. Where did you all come to that conclusion?

Yes, he is different than Torres and he shows desire and guts, but it doesnt mean he wont flop because of that. I see a good in form striker, not a great one. He is not very technical and he doesnt have many tools at his disposal, he does only the basic (he does it very well, but still). I can see some EPL teams being able to shut him down!

In my opinion we needed someone more skilled who can also help in the build up and/or change position with our wingers from time to time. Similar to what Suarez does in Liverpool...

Oh well, I hope I am wrong and that Diego Costa (gotta stop calling him Diego Cunt now) scores 30 goals next season to shut my mouth!

Costa is more than a battering ram like some people have claimed.

He does have very good technical ability, he doesn't just do 'the basics' as you call it lol. You said on the next page you've watched all the Atletico games this season but still you make such a ridiculous claim that he just does the 'basics'?

He is a good dribbler, ok hes not Luis Suarez or Messi but still a good dribbler, sure at times he might hold onto it a bit much but thats nothing to do with the technical aspects of his game, just greed. Still he manages to draw a lot of fouls, averaging 3.4 per game, he's won 116 fouls in total in La Liga. More than all of our strikers, more than Eden (surprisingly), Willian and the rest of them.

He makes on average 1.3 key passes per game in a reactive counter attacking team which is more than all of our forwards. The same as Oscar. Only Hazard and Willian in our team make more key passes per game than him actually. Sure he only has 4 assists in La Liga (again more than Oscar and also Willian) but still 1.3 key passes per game is the same as our so called best #10 and only bettered by Hazard and Willian, I think that shows him off more than someone who does the basics as you said. According to Squawka he created 45 chances in 34 appearances, 3 less than Oscar, just under half of what Hazard created and less than Willian..

Also on his technique? Remember when he scored an overhead kick and was more than comfortable trying it against us while under pressure as well as a few other times in La Liga? Yeah 'not very technical' I doubt that very much.

I think this stats show he isn't just a striker who can do the basics. Hes a very good rounded player to be perfectly honest, blessed with good technique and great physical attributes as well and someone who claimed to have watched all of Atletico's games this season would have seen that surely?

I agree though sure he isn't a great striker as I don't feel there are very many these days but hes a hell of a player in his own right.

Well thankfully the decision makers at the club do know what they want and their record has been impeccable over the last 3 yrs. Costa isn't gonna solve all of our needs but he does address a fair few of them. This is a squad of 23 players not 11, Jose knows what type of striker we need to accompany someone like Lukaku or Costa, its why he pursued Rooney and why we ended up with Eto'o as a stop gap. I don't think the acquisition of Costa means we answered our striking needs it just ticks off one of the requirements.

Wow, really? Impecable over the last 3 years?

Where is the DM/CM partnership everybody knew we needed since God knows when? Oh yeah, one of them arrived six months ago and the other we are still looking for. Where is our balanced attacking trio? Not even Jose has figured it out and look at the gigantic expeculation there is for even more changes for next season in a position we've already spent hundreds of millions on. Where is the ST we have been needing since Anelka left and Torres proved to be a flop? Wait, we are talking exactly about him and only because we passed on a numbers of available (a better) strikers in the last couple of seasons. LB anyone?

Please, dont act like I dont know a shit of what I am talking about and the demigods at the board do everything right. Not that I am an expert, but I do write based on what I see and I what I see is that our club makes as many hits and fails as any other big club!

I think any person on this forum has the right to question what the club is doing. Isnt why we are here afterall? Imagine if all we had was robots aplauding everything the club/player/managers do. This place would be a nightmare!

I am only here stating I do have some big doubts over Costa. Time will tell if I was right or not. The difference is I will have a big smile in my face if I end up being wrong and the pleasure of saying I was told you so if he flops. So either way I win! :P

Costa is more than a battering ram like some people have claimed.

He does have very good technical ability, he doesn't just do 'the basics' as you call it lol. You said on the next page you've watched all the Atletico games this season but still you make such a ridiculous claim that he just does the 'basics'?

He is a good dribbler, ok hes not Luis Suarez or Messi but still a good dribbler, sure at times he might hold onto it a bit much but thats nothing to do with the technical aspects of his game, just greed. Still he manages to draw a lot of fouls, averaging 3.4 per game, he's won 116 fouls in total in La Liga. More than all of our strikers, more than Eden (surprisingly), Willian and the rest of them.

He makes on average 1.3 key passes per game in a reactive counter attacking team which is more than all of our forwards. The same as Oscar. Only Hazard and Willian in our team make more key passes per game than him actually. Sure he only has 4 assists in La Liga (again more than Oscar and also Willian) but still 1.3 key passes per game is the same as our so called best #10 and only bettered by Hazard and Willian, I think that shows him off more than someone who does the basics as you said. According to Squawka he created 45 chances in 34 appearances, 3 less than Oscar, just under half of what Hazard created and less than Willian..

Also on his technique? Remember when he scored an overhead kick and was more than comfortable trying it against us while under pressure as well as a few other times in La Liga? Yeah 'not very technical' I doubt that very much.

I think this stats show he isn't just a striker who can do the basics. Hes a very good rounded player to be perfectly honest, blessed with good technique and great physical attributes as well and someone who claimed to have watched all of Atletico's games this season would have seen that surely?

I agree though sure he isn't a great striker as I don't feel there are very many these days but hes a hell of a player in his own right.

Ok, I disagree with some points and agree with others, but fair enough!

The thing is I do want Costa to be as good as you portray and I do want to have misjudged him. The best thing that can happen is for us to finally have a top striker once again. I will be very happy if he end up being better than what I expect.

However, I also believe I am entiled to maintain my doubts until he proves me wrong. There is something in the way he plays that doesnt please me...

Wow, really? Impecable over the last 3 years?

Where is the DM/CM partnership everybody knew we needed since God knows when? Oh yeah, one of them arrived six months ago and the other we are still looking for. Where is our balanced attacking trio? Not even Jose has figured it out and look at the gigantic expeculation there is for even more changes for next season in a position we've already spent hundreds of millions on. Where is the ST we have been needing since Anelka left and Torres proved to be a flop? Wait, we are talking exactly about him and only because we passed on a numbers of available (a better) strikers in the last couple of seasons. LB anyone?

Please, dont act like I dont know a shit of what I am talking about and the demigods at the board do everything right. Not that I am an expert, but I do write based on what I see and I what I see is that our club makes as many hits and fails as any other big club!

I think any person on this forum has the right to question what the club is doing. Isnt why we are here afterall? Imagine if all we had was robots aplauding everything the club/player/managers do. This place would be a nightmare!

I am only here stating I do have some big doubts over Costa. Time will tell if I was right or not. The difference is I will have a big smile in my face if I end up being wrong and the pleasure of saying I was told you so if he flops. So either way I win! :P

Not as easy as just buying especially under FFP. We had Lamps, Essien, Mikel, Ramires etc under contract and most of them were bought to play 4-3-3 not 4-2-3-1. Besides I wasn't speaking about what we haven't bought but more to who we have. There haven't been many duds when Chelsea set out to buy someone.

Anyways you may think you know what the club needs and to be quite frank you are entitled to your opinion but as spectators, not the decision makers, you need to understand that acquiring players isn't as easy as identifying a player and signing him. The Prem has strict Visa rules and also cannot engage in any 3rd party deals not to mention we have a squad of 23 men not 33 more often someone has to leave before someone comes in and with Chelsea's wages its extremely hard to move contracted players and make room for new ones... Not to mention agents and whether or no the player even wants to come here.

Just be patient, a couple years in the life of a football club is nothing. Don't expect everything to be resolved in one fail swoop, in time things will all be done accordingly. Jose and the board know what they're doing, give them the time and space to operate under these new constraints is all I'm saying.

Not as easy as just buying especially under FFP. We had Lamps, Essien, Mikel, Ramires etc under contract and most of them were bought to play 4-3-3 not 4-2-3-1. Besides I wasn't speaking about what we haven't bought but more to who we have. There haven't been many duds when Chelsea set out to buy someone.

Anyways you may think you know what the club needs and to be quite frank you are entitled to your opinion but as spectators, not the decision makers, you need to understand that acquiring players isn't as easy as identifying a player and signing him. The Prem has strict Visa rules and also cannot engage in any 3rd party deals not to mention we have a squad of 23 men not 33 more often someone has to leave before someone comes in and with Chelsea's wages its extremely hard to move contracted players and make room for new ones... Not to mention agents and whether or no the player even wants to come here.

Just be patient, a couple years in the life of a football club is nothing. Don't expect everything to be resolved in one fail swoop, in time things will all be done accordingly. Jose and the board know what they're doing, give them the time and space to operate under these new constraints is all I'm saying.

Spot on. Compared to the fiasco that was our acquisition of players from about 2007 to 2011, the board are doing a fine job. We do our business quickly and quietly, we always seem to get good value and we have a massive amount of young talent. This is all in light of the Torres debacle as well which has severely hamstrung us over the last few years.

Some people want it all now which isn't realistic in the modern game, and that's probably a good thing. I like the fact that teams have to use a bit of skill to get in the right players nowadays and look for value, rather than simply throwing endless supplies of money at it. Eventually even the impatient supporters will learn the new reality of transfers in football, or they'll just fuck off and support PSG.

I was thinking, instead of buying Costa, why don't we just buy the guy that trains or finds the strikers at Atletico? Guy has a hell of track record, Vieri, Hasslebank, Kun, Torres, Falcao, Costa etc. Something weird is going on there that we need to have right now!

I was thinking, instead of buying Costa, why don't we just buy the guy that trains or finds the strikers at Atletico? Guy has a hell of track record, Vieri, Hasslebank, Kun, Torres, Falcao, Costa etc. Something weird is going on there that we need to have right now!

except Vieri and Hasselbaink and Falcao were already very very good before going there

except Vieri and Hasselbaink and Falcao were already very very good before going there

Indeed. Torres came from Atléticos academy, and Aguero was one of the most exciting young players in South America when he was signed. Nothing special about that, the problem is we made an unlucky move in Shevchenko, and a stupid one in Torres. Today Its easy to say he is the worst signing of all time, but even in 2011 few people believed he was worth that amount of money. I have to admit I was really surprised when I read here people saying he was worth even more.

Since Torres, the board is taking easy when the subject is buying expensive strikers. This is the reason why we didn't bought Falcao from Porto 3 years ago, and went to Atletico, instead.