Diego Costa

Spike

I honestly haven't seen him play other than the games against us and he really didn't shine but I've heard stats etc. Can he help us?

Big, strong, nasty, has an edge, dangerous and can mix it up.

Everything we have lacked for a long time.

Are you serious?? Surely you're only referring to his form this season!?! Bagging Lampard is considered sacrilegious around these parts. The man will go down in history as one of the greatest ever Chelsea players, IMO, the best!

been watching for 9 years. aside from the goals and a few passes here and there, I'm not too impressed. excellent player for a 4-3-3 where is expected to run into the box or to the edge of the 18, but never a choice player for me. 2004-2005 was his best season. I don't care if it's sacrilege; I'm not religious and football isn't a religion. just opinions.

been watching for 9 years. aside from the goals and a few passes here and there, I'm not too impressed. excellent player for a 4-3-3 where is expected to run into the box or to the edge of the 18, but never a choice player for me. 2004-2005 was his best season. I don't care if it's sacrilege; I'm not religious and football isn't a religion. just opinions.

You do know that sacrilege has nothing to do with religion right?

Look it up.

Sacrilege is the violation or injurious treatment of a sacred object or person. It can come in the form of irreverence to sacred persons, places, and things. When the sacrilegious offence is verbal, it is called blasphemy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacrilege

Sacred objects/people and blasphemy have nothing to do with religion?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacrilege

Sacred objects/people and blasphemy have nothing to do with religion?

No, they don't. Unless they are worshipped and prayed to. If I have a spoon that I consider sacred because of its history in my family and somebody was to come along and wipe their ass with it, that would be considered sacrilegious.

People saying Costa wont flop because he has attitude and is different than Torres. Where did you all come to that conclusion?

Yes, he is different than Torres and he shows desire and guts, but it doesnt mean he wont flop because of that. I see a good in form striker, not a great one. He is not very technical and he doesnt have many tools at his disposal, he does only the basic (he does it very well, but still). I can see some EPL teams being able to shut him down!

In my opinion we needed someone more skilled who can also help in the build up and/or change position with our wingers from time to time. Similar to what Suarez does in Liverpool...

Oh well, I hope I am wrong and that Diego Costa (gotta stop calling him Diego Cunt now) scores 30 goals next season to shut my mouth!

People saying Costa wont flop because he has attitude and is different than Torres. Where did you all come to that conclusion?

Yes, he is different than Torres and he shows desire and guts, but it doesnt mean he wont flop because of that. I see a good in form striker, not a great one. He is not very technical and he doesnt have many tools at his disposal, he does only the basic (he does it very well, but still). I can see some EPL teams being able to shut him down!

In my opinion we needed someone more skilled who can also help in the build up and/or change position with our wingers from time to time. Similar to what Suarez does in Liverpool...

Oh well, I hope I am wrong and that Diego Costa (gotta stop calling him Diego Cunt now) scores 30 goals next season to shut my mouth!

I can understand where you're coming from. But don't forget, we aren't paying 50 million for him. We are paying what he's worth. If we were to buy somebody like Suarez, we wouldn't have much change from 100 million in this day and age. .

my opinion we needed someone more skilled who can also help in the build up and/or change position with our wingers from time to time. Similar to what Suarez does in Liverpool

Well hopefully Costa is just the beginning of a an effective summer. As the long summer progresses perhaps such type of player will emerge in our dealings.

Torres was finished when we signed him to begin with. His record in the season we signed him from the bin-dippers? 9 in 22 games. He was gone after a major knee surgery prior to the World Cup. I remember saying to myself, "I hope we don't sign this guy, he's done for" after I saw him limp out with a hamstring injury in the World Cup final vs Holland. Roman was in the crowd that day to watch the game. I remember begging him in my head, "please don't sign this guy". I actually wanted us to sign Suarez instead. He was younger and looked like an absolute monster. Anytime Roman gets involved, we fuck it up. Same with Sheva. Signing a 30 year old for 30 million, past his prime with little else to prove in the game makes no sense at all.

As for the bolded part, you haven't watched him play a lot have you? He drifts a lot to the left wing to cut in and his power and incredible pace makes him almost unstoppable in 1 vs 1 or even 2 v 1 situations. He is almost unplayable in these situations.

If the rumoured fee of 32M is correct than we're getting what we paid for. Just last year Cavani went for 55M and Falcao for 51M? where does Costa rank amongst them?

I can understand where you're coming from. But don't forget, we aren't paying 50 million for him. We are paying what he's worth. If we were to buy somebody like Suarez, we wouldn't have much change from 100 million in this day and age. .

I never said it was a bad deal, I just think there are still questions concerning Diego Costa and we should calm the hype down a little. To this date he only has one good season to his resume and he is anything but young!

Also, I said someone like Suarez and not Suarez himself. I know that signing him is out of question, but what I was saying is that I believe the striker who would fit us is different than what Diego is...

If the rumoured fee of 32M is correct than we're getting what we paid for. Just last year Cavani went for 55M and Falcao for 51M? where does Costa rank amongst them?

Costa is a better player than Cavani in my eyes and he's more of a well rounded player than Falcao, though Falcao is the most lethal striker in the world.

Costa in reality should cost about 50M, but I can't help thinking that the Gestifute connection and the (potential?) Courtois one-year loan extension have played a major part in that price. Especially the former.

I never said it was a bad deal, I just think there are still questions concerning Diego Costa and we should calm the hype down a little. To this date he only has one good season to his resume and he is anything but young!

Also, I said someone like Suarez and not Suarez himself. I know that signing him is out of question, but what I was saying is that I believe the striker who would fit us is different than what Diego is...

The thing is that your arguments are ridiculously weak, I'm sorry.

The bolded part has already been disproven by some of the earlier posts in the last 3-4 pages. Diego Costa's goal-scoring record in the last 3 seasons is one of the best in Europe. This "one good season" crap is a myth.