Diego Costa

Spike

Torres was finished when we signed him to begin with. His record in the season we signed him from the bin-dippers? 9 in 22 games. He was gone after a major knee surgery prior to the World Cup. I remember saying to myself, "I hope we don't sign this guy, he's done for" after I saw him limp out with a hamstring injury in the World Cup final vs Holland. Roman was in the crowd that day to watch the game. I remember begging him in my head, "please don't sign this guy". I actually wanted us to sign Suarez instead. He was younger and looked like an absolute monster. Anytime Roman gets involved, we fuck it up. Same with Sheva. Signing a 30 year old for 30 million, past his prime with little else to prove in the game makes no sense at all.

As for the bolded part, you haven't watched him play a lot have you? He drifts a lot to the left wing to cut in and his power and incredible pace makes him almost unstoppable in 1 vs 1 or even 2 v 1 situations. He is almost unplayable in these situations.

What does the first part has to do with anything? We are not discussing Torres nor Sheva here!

As for your question, I bet I have watched more of Diego Costa than you. I basically watched almost all of Atletico matches because I love the way they play under Simenone. Diego is anything but unstoppable in 1v1 or 2v1 situations, I dont know where the hell you concluded that from. Also, he does shift and it almost ends up in nothing, only when he played with a striker (Falcao) he used to produce from outside the box.

Diego Costa is a goal scorer type of guy, he wont participate in the game a lot but he will score when you need it. Which makes him better than most strikers on the planet, but I personally dont like the way he plays and I dont believe it is what Roman is looking for. He is a guy that would light the world on fire if he played for us during 2004-2008, but I am not sure he fits this team we have now!

Costa is a better player than Cavani in my eyes and he's more of a well rounded player than Falcao, though Falcao is the most lethal striker in the world.

Costa in reality should cost about 50M, but I can't help thinking that the Gestifute connection and the (potential?) Courtois one-year loan extension have played a major part in that price. Especially the former.

OMG! :lol:

I will go to sleep after this, cant stop laughing...

Costa is a better player than Cavani in my eyes and he's more of a well rounded player than Falcao, though Falcao is the most lethal striker in the world.

Costa in reality should cost about 50M, but I can't help thinking that the Gestifute connection and the (potential?) Courtois one-year loan extension have played a major part in that price. Especially the former.

Depends on what you're looking for. Cavani is better at holding up the ball and I would say he's technically a little better too. Costa doesn't really hold up the ball at all and is often guilty of giving away the ball. Oddly enough Torres was better than both of them, in limited time albeit, at winning aerials.

The thing is that your arguments are ridiculously weak, I'm sorry.

The bolded part has already been disproven by some of the earlier posts in the last 3-4 pages. Diego Costa's goal-scoring record in the last 3 seasons is one of the best in Europe. This "one good season" crap is a myth.

This goal scoring record is the real myth. His goal scoring (which wasnt even that great to begin with) doesnt tell everything about his football. It is just one stat amongst many others!

Lukaku has had a great goal scoring record for the past two seasons (playing in a way weaker team in a way tougher division), but that doesnt mean he had great seasons. There were many times he was simply unplayable and many Everton fans review his season as mediocre or alright at best.

I never said it was a bad deal, I just think there are still questions concerning Diego Costa and we should calm the hype down a little. To this date he only has one good season to his resume and he is anything but young!

Also, I said someone like Suarez and not Suarez himself. I know that signing him is out of question, but what I was saying is that I believe the striker who would fit us is different than what Diego is...

It's not a bad deal at all. We need a half decent striker that can actually finish. Diego Costa fits that position. The reason for all the hype is because we haven't had a competent striker since 2012. People are getting excited, the English media are all over it to put pressure on us etc. If we were to sign Costa as well as 4 other players for price tags of +30 million, nobody would even notice him. I find the players that get overlooked by the media in the transfer window are always much better off. Pressure is a cunt. .

What does the first part has to do with anything? We are not discussing Torres nor Sheva here!

As for your question, I bet I have watched more of Diego Costa than you. I basically watched almost all of Atletico matches because I love the way they play under Simenone. Diego is anything but unstoppable in 1v1 or 2v1 situations, I dont know where the hell you concluded that from. Also, he does shift and it almost ends up in nothing, only when he played with a striker (Falcao) he used to produce from outside the box.

Diego Costa is a goal scorer type of guy, he wont participate in the game a lot but he will score when you need it. Which makes him better than most strikers on the planet, but I personally dont like the way he plays and I dont believe it is what Roman is looking for. He is a guy that would light the world on fire if he played for us during 2004-2008, but I am not sure he fits this team we have now!

Who is? and beyond that are those players even remotely available and within our budget? Listen I have no doubt that Costa isn't the complete forward most teams want but he is about the best striker that is available within our budget. We don't need a guy to link up play, dominate in the air, hold up the ball and play intricate one - twos with our attacking mids, what we need is a fox in the box type player who has the right sort of instincts to be in good positions to finish off chances. A poacher for you football manager types. We're not going to just sign one player to do everything, this is still a squad and what we lacked this season was a poacher of the highest order.

(1) You seemed to be making parallels to the Torres signing when there's none, but I'll give you that one.

(2) Are you sure you weren't watching the "other" Diego by any chance? Diego Costa has scored a fair share of his goals from 1 vs 1 situations and even 2 vs 1 situations. His lightening pace and power makes him impossible to stop when he's running at players on the break. He's perhaps the fastest WC striker in Europe today.

Some Brazilians are very biased against Costa and I think I know why :wank2:

It's understandable though.

Good way to try prove a point. Very rational. Your football knowledges are impressive!

Anyways, I dont need to pretend to like him in order to have an unbiased opinion. I hate Diego Costa and it is not because of it that my judgement on his ability will change.

People in these forums know me well enough. My love and hate situation with some players are very strong, but I have never allowed it to cloud my thoughts. I absolutely dispise Luis Suarez, but I have constantly praised him during those past seasons. I love David and Oscar, but it hasnt stopped me from heavily criticizing their 2014 performances. The same with Neymar whom I like and Messi whom I dont like. Etc.

It's not a bad deal at all. We need a half decent striker that can actually finish. Diego Costa fits that position. The reason for all the hype is because we haven't had a competent striker since 2012. People are getting excited, the English media are all over it to put pressure on us etc. If we were to sign Costa as well as 4 other players for price tags of +30 million, nobody would even notice him. I find the players that get overlooked by the media in the transfer window are always much better off. Pressure is a cunt. .

If he meets the least of the expectations I agree.

Like I said, he is not my cup of tea (nor the type of player who would fit the team imo), but as long as he scores the goals we need I am happy!

This goal scoring record is the real myth. His goal scoring (which wasnt even that great to begin with) doesnt tell everything about his football. It is just one stat amongst many others!

Lukaku has had a great goal scoring record for the past two seasons (playing in a way weaker team in a way tougher division), but that doesnt mean he had great seasons. There were many times he was simply unplayable and many Everton fans review his season as mediocrer or alright at best.

Lukaku hasn't had two great seasons? And then you contradict yourself to downplay Costa's goalscoring record.

Everton fans view his season as mediocre? These Everton fans? http://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/lukaku-to-spurs.66225/ They are desperate for him to stay.

Anyway, I don't want to turn it into a back and forth. You are a mod nowadays and I'm sure you have other things to do. B)

I respect your opinions even though I completely disagree with almost all of it.

If he meets the least of the expectations I agree.

Like I said, he is not my cup of tea (nor the type of player who would fit the team imo), but as long as he scores the goals we need I am happy!

okay you've clearly highlighted that Costa won't fit in this team now do you mind throwing out some names as to who you think would ideally satisfy our needs por favor?

Lukaku hasn't had two great seasons? And then you contradict yourself to downplay Costa's goalscoring record.

Everton fans view his season as mediocre? These Everton fans? http://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/lukaku-to-spurs.66225/ They are desperate for him to stay.

No, I am just saying because their goal scoring records were good it doesnt automatically mean they had a good season. If you read most of the posts in that Everton forum you will see plenty of complaints and I say PLENTY with capital letters! However, they want him to stay because he is their only option, basically the only good striker they can dream of signing.

I am also not trying to downgrade Diego (no, not the other Diego, lol), I definitely think he is one of the top 10-15 strikers in the world. But I am honestly not sold. I trust he can score and wont miss many sitters (if any), though I feel he is not what we need as a team.

Anyway, I don't want to turn it into a back and forth. You are a mod nowadays and I'm sure you have other things to do. B)

I respect your opinions even though I completely disagree with almost all of it.

Until the discussion is productive and both are posting valid arguments, I believe this respectfull civilised back and forth is exactly what this site needs. It used to have it all the time and it was incredible!

It used to instigate debate and spread people football IQs throughout the various threads so everybody could always learn something or participate in a nice debate every so often...

Nowadays I see way too many nit picking and name calling and way too little actual football discussion!

okay you've clearly highlighted that Costa won't fit in this team now do you mind throwing out some names as to who you think would ideally satisfy our needs por favor?

Personally, no one available! :lol:

I am not criticizing the club for going after him because I understand the situation we are in. He is basically the only good striker left in the whole market.

It is the famous case of "I dont know what I want but I know what I dont want".

I'll like to say that even though the likes of Ibrahimovic, Suarez, Aguero and van Persie are more technically gifted than Diego Costa, no striker in the world combines height, brute strength and lightening pace as Diego Costa does. Strikers are world class in different ways and those three things are essential for a target man in a counter-attacking team like Atletico and us even more so than technique. And is not like Costa is shit technically. He is more than good enough but not exceptional like those guys.

If I could get a pick of all WC strikers in the world, the only one I might consider picking ahead of Costa is Kun Aguero. But I'm not sure even he will like to play upfront on his own regularly in a league as physical as the PL.

Personally, no one available! :lol:

I am not criticizing the club for going after him because I understand the situation we are in. He is basically the only good striker left in the whole market.

It is the famous case of "I dont know what I want but I know what I dont want".

Well thankfully the decision makers at the club do know what they want and their record has been impeccable over the last 3 yrs. Costa isn't gonna solve all of our needs but he does address a fair few of them. This is a squad of 23 players not 11, Jose knows what type of striker we need to accompany someone like Lukaku or Costa, its why he pursued Rooney and why we ended up with Eto'o as a stop gap. I don't think the acquisition of Costa means we answered our striking needs it just ticks off one of the requirements.

Well thankfully the decision makers at the club do know what they want and their record has been impeccable over the last 3 yrs. Costa isn't gonna solve all of our needs but he does address a fair few of them. This is a squad of 23 players not 11, Jose knows what type of striker we need to accompany someone like Lukaku or Costa, its why he pursued Rooney and why we ended up with Eto'o as a stop gap. I don't think the acquisition of Costa means we answered our striking needs it just ticks off one of the requirements.

They're the ones that got us into this problem in the first place if you think about it! It's simply unacceptable that one of the richest clubs in the world goes into two back to back season with

(1) Torres as its only recognized striker then panic buy of average Ba in January (in 2012/13)

(2) Torres, Ba and past it Eto'o (2013/14)

Simply unacceptable. What were we expecting? To win the league and CL with that lot? Only if you have Jesus as your manager! No wonder we only have 1 measly Europa league in the last 2 seasons.

They're the ones that got us into this problem in the first place if you think about it! It's simply unacceptable that one of the richest clubs in the world goes into two back to back season with

(1) Torres as its only recognized striker (in 2012/13)

(2) Torres, Ba and past it Eto'o

Simply unacceptable. What were we expecting? To win the league and CL with that lot? Only is you have Jesus as your manager! No wonder we only have 1 measly Europa league in the last 2 seasons.

in buying the right players.