Diego Costa

Spike

So suddenly Costa is 'injury prone' and people don't want him anymore? That's just ridiculous, he's been injured a lot in the last few months because Atletico can't afford to lose him as they don't have a good enough replacement so they've had to hurry him back too soon and it has backfired on them. That's what happened to Torres at Liverpool and it's one of the reasons why his decline was so rapid, only in his case the injuries were far more serious and this happened over a much longer period of time, but Costa having some niggling injuries for a couple of months doesn't really matter. If the deal is close to being done, the Chelsea medical staff will have a lot of time to do a thorough medical on him and assess his situation, with Torres I wouldn't be so sure they even did a medical at all before he signed because it was getting so late in the window. It's not too uncommon for players signed on deadline day to only have their's on the next morning because in normal cases where there are no problems, the medical is mostly done for insurance reasons only.

Welcome to the TalkChelsea rollercoaster of opinions! Please be seated and be ready to change your opinion at the slightest suggestion of anything negative or positive. Some of the classics include:

'Ba > Sturridge'

'Moses > Schurrle'

'Marin > Salah'

Not to mention the recently added:

'Costa = Torres'

However, Mr. Diego Costa still has a World Cup to go to (and possibly a CL final), so there is plenty of time for opinions to shift once more! Stay tuned! :D

I hope he doesn't "do a Torres" and seriously exacerbate the injury and moreorless ruin his career. He needs to relax a little. Missing a CL final will be difficult for him, but he could end up missing the World Cup as well if he tries to play.

Welcome to the TalkChelsea rollercoaster of opinions! Please be seated and be ready to change your opinion at the slightest suggestion of anything negative or positive. Some of the classics include:

'Ba > Sturridge'

'Moses > Schurrle'

'Marin > Salah'

'Costa = Torres'

However, Mr. Diego Costa still has a World Cup to go to (and possibly a CL final), so there is plenty of time for opinions to shift once more! Stay tuned! :D

Got to admit, I was fully in the Ba > Sturridge bandwagon at the time. Ba was a proven +15 goal a season striker whereas Sturridge was a cocky youngster who had done fuck all. Honestly thought Ba might be good for a couple of years and by that time Lukaku would be ready to take over but things haven't really been going according to plan so far...

All the other 'classics' are just plain ridiculous.

'Ba > Sturridge'

'Moses > Schurrle'

'Marin > Salah'

'Costa = Torres'

its actually very simple. when people think we are about to buy some1, they expect the guy to score in every match. if that does not happen, the forum crashes.

last season when we were in for cavani, i remember him playing a confed match in which he dint score. people lost their minds saying how can we buy another torres for 50mil.

Got to admit, I was fully in the Ba > Sturridge bandwagon at the time. Ba was a proven +15 goal a season striker whereas Sturridge was a cocky youngster who had done fuck all. Honestly thought Ba might be good for a couple of years and by that time Lukaku would be ready to take over but things haven't really been going according to plan so far...

All the other 'classics' are just plain ridiculous.

I was sort of under the same opinion but as far as 'it made sense' since Sturridge wasn't happy, wasn't getting chances, was greedy when he did and was injured for a good while at the start of that season. But I was still aware of comparing players when one was a lot younger and had a lot less starts in his natural position while Torres was practically being forced to 'come good' by playing every conceivable game.

Just like that situation, there are positives and negatives to everything and each needs to be evaluated. However, as both you and @didierforever highlight, people have a tendency to get a 'recency effect' by only focusing on the most recent positive or negative. But when you look at Costa objectively, his positives far outweigh his negatives. I won't list them, but all I'll say is: A professional footballer pulling his hamstring? Stop the fucking press. If he scores the World Cup winning goal for Spain watch this forum go in :wank2: overdrive.

'Ba > Sturridge'

'Moses > Schurrle'

'Marin > Salah'

'Costa = Torres'

Don't forget to add Rafa at Chelsea > King Jose at Chelsea

I hope he doesn't "do a Torres" and seriously exacerbate the injury and moreorless ruin his career. He needs to relax a little. Missing a CL final will be difficult for him, but he could end up missing the World Cup as well if he tries to play.

Knowing that the World Cup gets the best out of upcoming hopefuls, I hope that doesn't happen.

Torres had a knee operation and probably came back too early for Liverpool. He then had to have another operation on the same knee and rushed back to get fit for the World Cup. He then tore his adductor in the final

No where near as bad a Costa, he will be fine.

Wasn't there rumor that we rushed Torres's medical and missed injuries he was still carrying?

Start to wonder if Costa will even want to leave now that they won liga and maybe CL too.

Prized asset I'm afraid mate. Yes they will receive good money for what they have won but they are no position to turn away 30 odd million for this bloke.

IMO it is unfair to turn on forum members when they are expressing their concerns over costa. It is natural we are a bit risk-averse when it comes to big money strikers given the Torres fail, no wonder our alarm bells ring when we hear that a multimillion striker target has a possibly grave injury and is overplayed. If we were more informed about his medical status, most would be more relaxed. Costa is still one of our best options.

Prized asset I'm afraid mate. Yes they will receive good money for what they have won but they are no position to turn away 30 odd million for this bloke.

Exactly. Any article printed now saying he may stay is opinion, not fact. The exact same journos would have printed "Costa tells Atletico he's off" had they lost the title to Barca. Yes it's easy to think why would he wana leave the newly crowned champs. On the other hand, what if this deal was done and dusted a while back?

IMO it is unfair to turn on forum members when they are expressing their concerns over costa. It is natural we are a bit risk-averse when it comes to big money strikers given the Torres fail, no wonder our alarm bells ring when we hear that a multimillion striker target has a possibly grave injury and is overplayed. If we were more informed about his medical status, most would be more relaxed. Costa is still one of our best options.

A hamstring is not a grave injury. It's one of the most common injuries in pro sport and he didn't even tear it, he just pulled it. Recovery time is about two weeks tops. It's exactly the same injury he had last time that he aggravated because he was rushed back. This has less to do with Costa and more to do with Atleti's desperation for him to play. His injury record in the last 2 years is 3 injuries, including these 2 hamstrings injuries that are related to each other.

As for big money moves, well no big money transfer is risk free, it's normal. Besides, Sheva and Torres already had their problems before we (stupidly) signed them.

His knee has been more than fine, and it's not an injury players can't come back from anymore.

To be out for 6 months that usually leaves something to worry about. Also, he had some minor injuries for several years.

As I said yesterday, I hope Chelsea´s medical staff look into it closely.

For some reason I think we'll miss out on him, which is what I kind of want but kind of don't. As far as big money strikers go, 32m isn't awful but it is still high risk. I think I would want Mandzukic, Lukaku and Eto'o (or Bony) as the three strikers which would have been more than enough this year.