Cesc Fàbregas

Tomo

Well, I am quite surprised to see how much Mata's dribbling ability is held in high regards here. Mata is not a very good dribbler. He is decent, at most good ; he can pick up a dribble here and there but that is it. This is by the way one of the reasons for which he has never been given a go with his national team... And, even if you would like to think he is a "very" good dribbler, as @James has mentioned, it is not his game and he does rarely try to dribble past players. So in the end, good or not good, the end product (since it is a term in vogue over here) is : nearly no dribbles.

Cesc is definitely not as good as Iniesta when it comes to dribbling, but he is better than Mata for sure. Once again, even if from a technical stance they were on the same level, Fabregas is more aggressive in his game a more or less likes to dribbles, whereas Mata it is not part of his game.

In regards with the fact that whether or not he is one-footed, and to reply to @Ze Mario... Well, I will not even bother to make an assessment regarding the talent of his right foot since it is not the question ; the question is to know whether he is over-reliant (and feels uneasy on his weak foot) of his strong foot. The answer is yes. And the fact he scored one goal with his right foot does not change anything to that fact ; Messi and Sturridge also can score and pass with their right-foot, nonetheless they still are one-footed (which seems to be a common trait of the left footed players).

As for is ability to hold on the ball... Well, it is rather a weakness than a strength for him. First off all, as it has been said numerous times, physically he cannot cope with the pressure ; and he cannot get away from it through acceleration/speed, as he has none, and only decently through dribbles. This is another reason for which he is overlooked in the Spanish national team. It might be also a weakness of Fabregas, if you will, but he is significantly better in this aspect and it does not cause nearly as much problems that it does with Mata.

And finally, the famous end product. Juan Mata has been many time hailed because of his stats here. In his best season here, in 31 games started (and four subs) in the League, Mata has scored 12 and assisted 12 ; the same season, out of 30 starts (and two subs) in the Liga, Fabregas has scored 11 and assisted 11. The season before : 6 scored and 13 assisted in 29(+5) games for Mata ; 9 scored and 8 assisted in 23(+5) games for Fabregas. Basically, in regards of the statistical productivity, they both are more or less on the same level. While the later being only the odd man in the starting team and never had a set position ; the former was the center of the team.

And finally mark II, Mata was not versatil at all. It was even his fiercest defenders that admitted that fact ; you cannot put him on the (right) wing as he is inefficient. A contrario, Fabregas is apt to play in several positions ; sure at different extent of efficiency, but still. In the contemporary football, this quality is more and more required.

It is pretty clear as to why Mourinho decided to buy someone of the likes of Fabregas. This player is direct, "aggressive", is a great passer, can dribble, can cope physically and technically to pressure, can play several positions.

Are you seriously going to compare stats in the Premier League with La Liga?? Messi and Cristiano score 50 league goals every other season and we dont anyone getting close to that in the EPL Cesc is a great player one of my favorite in fact but dont downgrade Mata's ability just becoz u are he did not fit Mourinho's philosophy

That haircut makes him look about 40. :lol:

I really don't like our training gear. Pretty ugly, tbh.

I don't like anything adidas did for us this season.

I don't like the kits - home and away - I really dislike the training gear, it seems like my last season three kits are what I'll wear this season too, unless the third kit saves face. And I know that an unpopular opinion as people love the yellow kit. I liked it in pictures (not much though), but in action I thought it was just no.

I'm soooooooo happy to see him here, but did he need to have such a horrible haircut? It seems he's protesting and heading to execution (I'm kidding ofc)

Are you seriously going to compare stats in the Premier League with La Liga?? Messi and Cristiano score 50 league goals every other season and we dont anyone getting close to that in the EPL Cesc is a great player one of my favorite in fact but dont downgrade Mata's ability just becoz u are he did not fit Mourinho's philosophy

Messi and Ronaldo would score just as much in the current PL climate, the defences in England these days are bad, very bad.

To weight my point :

* Bayern Munich in 2012-13 has been hailed as a fabulous counter-attacking team. They had Robben and Ribéry on the wings who are fast players ; yet in the midfield, they had Schweinsteiger/Martinez/Kroos (if my memory serves my right) which are slow players, and I am not sure that Müller is extremely fast.

* Same for Madrid under Mourinho, when they were successful on the counters : quick players up-front (Cristiano, Ozil, etc..) while two slow players in the middle in Alonso and Kheidira.

* Barça was/Are a possession-based team, but they also used to be successful on the counters : Messi and Pedro up-front, which are fast players ; Xavi and Sergio (and Iniesta to a lesser extent) who are slow players.

* United circa 2007... They were great at the counters. They had fast players (Cristiano, Rooney, Nani) and slow players (Scholes, Carrick).

* The list goes on...

From your examples, only Bayern didn't make use of a classical deep-lying playmaker, but one could make a case that Bastian is in fact one as well. Even then, their midfield has good passing capabilities, Schweinsteiger and Kroos may not possess the passing range of the likes of Alonso, Xavi, Scholes and Fabregas but they're still very very good passers (T. Kroos had a 91.9% passing accuracy and 8.6 accurate long balls per game, while Bastian had 89.8% passing accuracy and 6.5 accurate long passes per game in Bundesliga 2013/14 according to Whoscored.com, these stats are similar to Xavi's and Alonso's in the last season).

Cesc's horrible haircut is the only thing ruining the picture. Did he shave his head? Hopefully his hair grows fast.

I suppose is because of the hairline that keeps going up, poor thing. Look at this pic... he's balding hard.

preview.jpg

I suppose is because of the hairline that keeps going up, poor thing. Look at this pic... he's balding hard.

preview.jpg

But his hairline has always been high. His hair was fine enough a month ago:

tumblr_n5831kvuFp1s67vq4o2_500.jpg

I'm not convinced he just didn't lose a bet and had to shave his head.