Expectations for 2014-15 season? Time to end the sucess/failure debate for all

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If, for argument sake, we got 90 points but another team went crazy and hit 94. while we also lose the CL final on pens vs Barca, do we still sack Jose despite getting a points tally that would be more than enough 99 times out of 100 and taking our CL right to the wire?

It's not as simple as win x or y, infact knockout comps shouldn't be used as a bareometer for a managers ability until a good few are won, or are you telling me you would want Alex McLeish or Juande Ramos walking out of the Stamford Bridge tunnel and turning left to take his seat?

I just want us to get this striker situation right, whether as it seems to be, it's Diego Costa or whoever else. I want to see a striker who can create something out of nothing or score a 'half-chance' let alone the masses of real chances we seem to waste, and by doing so strikes the fear of god into defences throughout the country. Somebody who on a poor day will help us turn these slender losses or draws into a win.

In the last 15 years we've had two strikers genuinely do that - Hasselbaink and Drogba. Two! In the last 15 fucking years, and one of those was pre-Roman! Just not good enough and I'm sure if that is rectified, given the rest of the talent in our team and certainly directly behind said striker, we'll be celebrating something next summer.

You guys are incredibly arrogant if you think we should fire Mourinho if we don't win CL, or the EPL. It's not like we play in some shit league that we can walk over. A top 3 finish in the EPL and at least a round of 16 finish in CL is good enough to not fire our Mourinho. Yeah, it will suck if we finish that bad, but shit happens. We could get paired up against Bayern/Man City/Barcelona/Real Madrid in the round of 16 and lose a close match.

If, for argument sake, we got 90 points but another team went crazy and hit 94. while we also lose the CL final on pens vs Barca, do we still sack Jose despite getting a points tally that would be more than enough 99 times out of 100 and taking our CL right to the wire?

It's not as simple as win x or y, infact knockout comps shouldn't be used as a bareometer for a managers ability until a good few are won, or are you telling me you would want Alex McLeish or Juande Ramos walking out of the Stamford Bridge tunnel and turning left to take his seat?

Off-topic, McLeish showed me around a house the other day. Didn't even introduce himself.

:rolleyes:

What do we think is the expectations for Jose next season now we will be signing Costa/Cavani/Madzukic or whoever top class striker and probably a good CM too. For me it MUST BE TITLE, absolutely must be other while it is a failure and I wouldn't be surprised to see him get sacked at the end of it even if we come very close like this one. This season is a transitional season and we need to understand this will be the last one the club have in a while because after that top class striker arrives there are no more excuses.

How can you say that when players like Willian, Oscar, Schurrle, Hazard, Azpi, Lukaku, Salah, Courtois, Matic etc are still not in their prime years and are still very much playing in a team still without an 'exact' identity. A transition isn't 2 years, a transition is usually quite longer than that, it could be 3 or 4 or 5 or even 6 years. This team is still in transition, it could be for at least 2 more years I think then we will see what most of this lot are really made of.

Still think we can win the title next season just because of Jose: his know how to win, tactical versatility, motivational skills for the bigger games (16/18 points vs the bigger teams) and if we get another player in that can play next to Matic, like a Modric/Alonso sort of player or a more rounded player than Rami then who knows?

Think we need to strengthen at LB so Azpi can be used on the right but we should keep Ashley Cole on as his experience is more than valuable and hes a big game player. The same with John Terry who was ever present for us this year and exceptional. Frank is a difficult one, sure he offers experience but hes not at that same level John and Ash are in terms of his performances now a days so I'm still unsure on him.

I think realistically if we win a trophy or two and maintain a top 3 finish or maybe go into the top 2 we will have improved and the players will be a year older and hopefully another year will have made them better in their evolution as a team. Jose will still go for the title, sure he didn't say we were aiming for that this season but he was and he always will because hes a winner and winners like him don't like not winning anything.

Fighting for and (hopefully) winning the league. That's very important to the fans. The CL is just a bonus and the luck factor makes it a risky competition to bank on. We want the league. We only have 4 in our entire history and now Man City have even tied us.

And of course playing MUCH better attacking football.

Progression. That's what you want each year and for the first time in a while we have that opportunity. If our defence can maintain it's solidity whilst incorporating someone like Kalas in more matches then that's progress. If we can get more from the play of our strikers then that's progress. Plus you want to see individuals step up so Oscar needs to be far more consistent than he was this year. You'd hope that Matic, Schurrle, Willian and Salah would kick on from their first seasons here and contribute more.

In terms of young players I'd personally like to see Chalobah play a role in the first team this season. Failing that then a Premier League loan with regular football is a must or he will stagnate. Baker, Swift and Ake are probably going to leave on loan to a Championship club and I hope they continue to grow as professionals. A lot depends on the summer pre-season though and with players needing a rest after the World Cup then some dark horses could make a bolt for a starting spot.

Beyond that I'd love for some progress to be made on the stadium front. Commercially we seem to be in good hands but there needs to be some steps taken with the council and hopefully with the CPO in regards to extending the Bridge or finding someone new. We can't fall further behind other teams in this regard, in my opinion.

If we don't win the Champions League, Premier League, FA Cup and the Copa del Rey next season I'll be very disappointed.

Agreed, that elusive copa del rey always piss me off.