John Stones

Sidzeret

JT isn't getting any younger, he will be 35 in Dec, This is the ideal time to secure his longterm replacement and Cahill, many will argue is an average defender at best whose limitations are masked by Jose's tactics and the protection he receives from the midfield (same can be said for JT as well TBF as he's not the quickest nor the best at 1v1 situations against pacy players). Also I will argue that Cahill is one of the biggest reasons why we often struggle to build from the back and maintain posession sometimes against good teams because of his poor distribution and ability on the ball. John Stones is the ideal immediate Cahill replacement while Zouma could be groomed to replace JT longterm and the early signs look extremely encouraging.

See the Terry thread for my opinion. But the tldr is that JT had his best season yet last season, he is the best leader of men in the prem, he is showing no signs of decline, and I can't even think of the last time he was the worst player in our games, and that Zouma's physicality and pace and power can and will extend JT's career for at least 2 more years, so buying a new CB is redundant for me.

Of course, I do see your point, and it is totally valid, but I just see Happy leaving if Stones joins - I don't think there would be anything more demoralising for a player than doing everything you are tasked upon, stopping the best strikers in the league and then being dropped or loaned out because your club brought an English counterpart.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JT isn't getting any younger, he will be 35 in Dec, This is the ideal time to secure his longterm replacement and Cahill, many will argue is an average defender at best whose limitations are masked by Jose's tactics and the protection he receives from the midfield (same can be said for JT as well TBF as he's not the quickest nor the best at 1v1 situations against pacy players). Also I will argue that Cahill is one of the biggest reasons why we often struggle to build from the back and maintain posession sometimes against good teams because of his poor distribution and ability on the ball. John Stones is the ideal immediate Cahill replacement while Zouma could be groomed to replace JT longterm and the early signs look extremely encouraging.

And how do you suggest we groom hm for JTs spot? I cant see JT leaving for 2 more seasons and with Stones coming in and Mous apparent love for Cahill it will put Zouma right down the pecking order.

Hes too good to be wasted like that. We will lose him IMHO.

And how do you suggest we groom hm for JTs spot? I cant see JT leaving for 2 more seasons and with Stones coming in and Mous apparent love for Cahill it will put Zouma right down the pecking order.

Hes too good to be wasted like that. We will lose him IMHO.

' I can see JT LEAVING for 2 more seasons' :D:D:D:D

I mean, when people were so happy to see us spend £26m on Cuadrado, I don't understand why there's such upheaval about the potential Stones signing...

http://forum.talkchelsea.net/topic/17998-john-stones/?p=884400

what has changed in an year. from "we dont need a CB" to its alright to spend 26mil to 34mil on a 21 year old. JT has shown himself to be capable of playing as well as he ever has. zouma has not proven himself compared to last april 2014. GC is still GC.

i am sorry but we still dont need him. what we need is a CM. rather spend 40mil on verrati or 30mil on witsel than stones.

what has changed in an year. from "we dont need a CB" to its alright to spend 26mil to 34mil on a 21 year old. JT has shown himself to be capable of playing as well as he ever has. zouma has not proven himself compared to last april 2014. GC is still GC.

i am sorry but we still dont need him. what we need is a CM. rather spend 40mil on verrati or 30mil on witsel than stones.

JT, just today, said he'd be fine with being benched this season for the good of the team... seemingly opening the door for stones, letting him know he will have playing time. In any case, out of the 4 CBs if Stones comes, Cahill is the one at risk at the moment imo...

What has changed is that JT is a year older, Ivanovic is getting older, we have solidified our team with the Fabregas and Costa signings, and its now important to look at the future to ensure that we maintain an upper hand in the future.

Who says signing John Stones for £34m means we won't sign a midfielder? Who says that that will be the reason that we won't? The two aren't really related in my mind.

What has changed is that JT is a year older, Ivanovic is getting older, we have solidified our team with the Fabregas and Costa signings, and its now important to look at the future to ensure that we maintain an upper hand in the future.

Who says signing John Stones for £34m means we won't sign a midfielder? Who says that that will be the reason that we won't? The two aren't really related in my mind.

the 2 examples that you gave just played 38 PL games last season. iva looks to be in as good a shape as he has ever been physically. JT has not played better. so unless, you know something which i cant watch on TV, i just dont see your point.

our future is a 20 year old CB who had aguero, sterling, eriksen and fellaini in his pocket. we are looking to buy another 21 year old LB. we have azpi who is 25. our future seems quite secure right now. atleast for 2 years. along with those we have some one like christensen, who would be ready for first team action in 2 years' time.

have you heard the comments that jose has made. i know we should not read much between the lines, but its quite apparent that we will be making just one "big signing". and i will be very worried if that is stones.

Poor distribution? Cahill is just as comfortable on the ball as Stones if not more so. There is some sort of myth that Cahill 1) can't defend at all 2) isn't better than Stones and 3) has poor distribution where he can defend, is Englands best CB after JT and has always been an asset for us in terms of playing out from the back along with JT. Remember the days of David Luiz and his sloppy passing when he would play CB at times?

If Cahill played for Everton and we had Stones it would be the exact same. Why aren't we happy with Terry, Cahill, Zouma and Ivanovic? Because JT is 35? Some of us thought we should of replace him when he played piss poor under AVB but now hes back to his best and despite being 35 needs replaced by someone who is inferior to all our other center half options for a hugely ridiculous fee? I don't think so. I'm all for buying a long term successor but not John Stones who's only England caps have come at RB, where at club level his competition is/was Phil Jagielka, Alcaraz, Distin.... like them, he is bang on average and not worth half of what we are meant to pay for him never mind 34 million. English players prices are ridiculous.

I would have Phil Jones or Chris Smalling based on last seasons performances over John Stones. That is how inferior he is to our CBs and the other English ones in my eyes.

While Terry was impressive and Ivanovic being decent last season, there's no guarantee that they will show the same kind of form again in 2015/16, especially in the case of Terry. On top of that, we were lucky that they did not suffer any injuries last campaign. If they do this time around, then we'll be screwed if we don't have enough backups.

Poor distribution? Cahill is just as comfortable on the ball as Stones if not more so. There is some sort of myth that Cahill 1) can't defend at all 2) isn't better than Stones and 3) has poor distribution where he can defend, is Englands best CB after JT and has always been an asset for us in terms of playing out from the back along with JT. Remember the days of David Luiz and his sloppy passing when he would play CB at times?

If Cahill played for Everton and we had Stones it would be the exact same. Why aren't we happy with Terry, Cahill, Zouma and Ivanovic? Because JT is 35? Some of us thought we should of replace him when he played piss poor under AVB but now hes back to his best and despite being 35 needs replaced by someone who is inferior to all our other center half options for a hugely ridiculous fee? I don't think so. I'm all for buying a long term successor but not John Stones who's only England caps have come at RB, where at club level his competition is/was Phil Jagielka, Alcaraz, Distin.... like them, he is bang on average and not worth half of what we are meant to pay for him never mind 34 million. English players prices are ridiculous.

I would have Phil Jones or Chris Smalling based on last seasons performances over John Stones. That is how inferior he is to our CBs and the other English ones in my eyes.

i couldnt disagree more. i've never seen cahill pass it out well from the back, usually takes excess touches, does a rubbish cruyff turn and passes it square.

Kurt Zouma vs John Stones - Defending Skills Battle 2015 HD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPFWIe-G3AA

Fantastic video, but I prefer to say Zouma WITH Stones.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Others videos.

JOHN STONES ● Skills ● Everton 2014/2015 |HD|

John Stones vs John Terry - Defending Skills Battle 2015 HD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2TuvNniybA

Regards.

While Terry was impressive and Ivanovic being decent last season, there's no guarantee that they will show the same kind of form again in 2015/16, especially in the case of Terry. On top of that, we were lucky that they did not suffer any injuries last campaign. If they do this time around, then we'll be screwed if we don't have enough backups.

Precisely. It's a case of when but not if Cahill & Terry will decline, such is the situation. We don't want to wait until it's too late. There's no reason why we cant have Stones & Zouma in our ranks. It's a long season with playing 60+ games a season, depth is everything.

That being said, Stones must play. There's no point in hampering his development in the name of depth, depth players are those who aren't really climbing and aren't young.. Ramires for example. Ruining Stones' & Zouma's development would be a tragedy.

i couldnt disagree more. i've never seen cahill pass it out well from the back, usually takes excess touches, does a rubbish cruyff turn and passes it square.

You know, I've said this before and it couldn't be more relevant. We're always impressed by a last minute tackle, in front of our own goal because the player then becomes a glorified hero. However if the reason said player has to make such tackles is the same player's own mistake then there's no heroism involved. That's Gary Cahill. A player who more time than none will lose the ball and be the reason for the tackle. To his credit, he is great at getting back into position, but not at keeping it.

Edited by LDN Blue

We have enough defenders really after we get a new LB. If we sell a defender then yes bring another one in but its not an urgent need.

RB: Ivanovic, Azpilicueta, Zouma has even played RB before.

CB: Terry, Cahill, Zouma, Ivanovic, Ake perhaps although hes quite small physically.

LB: Azpilicueta, new LB, Ake.

Azpilicueta, Ivanovic and Zouma aren't all going to be injured at the same time.

He is a center back, does he need to be a playmaker now or do what Luiz used to do and do needless 40-50 yard passes trying to force something. Hes more than comfortable on it, he will take the ball, hes neat and tidy keeps it easy which center backs should really do theres no point over-elaborating when your building from the back. Might as well resign Luiz if we want someone like a midfielder to play center back. Our issue was always in midfield with the ball, no deep lying midfielder with the brains or vision to make the team tick, now we have that and we are back again complaining about CBs on the ball?

Amen :worship:

We have enough defenders really after we get a new LB. If we sell a defender then yes bring another one in but its not an urgent need.

RB: Ivanovic, Azpilicueta, Zouma has even played RB before.

CB: Terry, Cahill, Zouma, Ivanovic, Ake perhaps although hes quite small physically.

LB: Azpilicueta, new LB, Ake.

Azpilicueta, Ivanovic and Zouma aren't all going to be injured at the same time.

Not sure why Ake is in there considering Mourinho doesn't even fancy him (for whatever reason).

You have mentioned only the injury factor. What about the players' form? And Azpi, Ivanovic and Zouma aren't going to be injured at the same time? It's unlikely but we had Costa, Remy and Drogba all on the treatment table at one point last season (if not three, at least two were out injured at the same time).

And Stones can play at RB too.

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You