Looks like Man City and Arsenal are pretty much out of the Champions League and this is a not so good news for us in the league, assuming we get past Galatasaray. The focus and extra preparation in which they can put in the league could well benefit those two a lot, almost similar to our situation in the 2009/10 season under Ancelotti.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like Man City and Arsenal are pretty much out of the Champions League and this is a not so good news for us in the league, assuming we get past Galatasaray. The focus and extra preparation in which they can put in the league could well benefit those two a lot, almost similar to our situation in the 2009/10 season under Ancelotti.

You could also look at it, we reach the QF/SF/final and the added motivation and momentum will be worth the few extra games.

You could also look at it, we reach the QF/SF/final and the added motivation and momentum will be worth the few extra games.

True. It could work like last season where those factors arguably took us over the finishing line, despite playing a game every 3-4 days, with almost similar starting XI. Could still go either way but those 2 probably have a slight advantage over us at the moment.

Im not convinced the not playing in Europe thing is that big an advantage, if it even is at-all.

I remember Pep saying once that he hated no midweek games because the players sometimes wind down a bit to much, whereas a game every 3-4 days and you are constantly in your element.
Regarding Carlo's first season im not sure how much affect United playing in Munich had on our game at OT, the second half United swarmed all over us so they couldn't have been that tired iin first half, maybe we got our tactics spot on.

Im not convinced the not playing in Europe thing is that big an advantage, if it even is at-all.

I remember Pep saying once that he hated no midweek games because the players sometimes wind down a bit to much, whereas a game every 3-4 days and you are constantly in your element.
Regarding Carlo's first season im not sure how much affect United playing in Munich had on our game at OT, the second half United swarmed all over us so they couldn't have been that tired iin first half, maybe we got our tactics spot on.

I think this would vary from one team to another. If you have a team full of injuries that means that some players will have to keep playing through fatigue and some of them would be even playing in positions that they are not very good at. Remember that though its true that the more you play the more you are in your element, but muscles need to relax in order to rebuild and restore energy levels. For example ( and taking in consideration that entire team played badly) Cahill would have performed much better infront of City if he had more time to recover from the injury he got infront of Brom. but Terry was still out.

So I guess if you are practicing and playing every day it would do you more damage than good. Plus there is always the psychological aspect of the game, that too plays a part.

But I totally agree on the tactics part, cause it can play a major role.

I never expected us to win it this season so the fact we are still in with a very good shout is very much a welcome surprise especially when you consider our inconsistent form before Xmas.

My belief was that who ever finishes above City will win the league and I don't see any reason to change that, however if we are still in the hunt after the Arsenal game then looking at our remaining fixtures after playing them, we will have a massive chance.

One thing for certain and that is if José was City's manager they would be 10 points clear by now, my heart says us my head says otherwise, I've been known to be wrong! :-)

Contrary to what's been written I'd very much prefer we stay in the the CL, we found out 2 years ago anything can happen, having a good run will give the younger players the confidence to go on and win the PL, we have a young squad and there is no way with José at the helm and giving the players that bit extra with a psychological edge they will suffer with fatigue, playing regularly builds momentum especially in confidence, the mind and body are also sharper - bring it on I say!

Thought i was the only one who saw this. Their is something in the water when it comes to over rating City.
I have seen people claim they will win the quad, some even suggesting they could turn out to be the best off all time, i have never seen a team have so much hype for so little.
Dont get me wrong they are a top team that will be up there this season and beyond, but quad? best team in the world? best team ever? not even close.

I think a lot of the praise for City was due to their success against us, and subsequent rise to the scene.

Beating us in the Community Shield (remember how insane this forum got after that loss), Knocking us out of the FA Cup, winning the League, and all those loses to them in those exhibition games aided this fear that they may have our number.

Add in the fact they were out-right dominating every and all opposition they met with all those thrashings and people got carried away.

Lucky for us we know how to win when it matters, and have a longer history than them doing so.

Interesting thing is that City's next league game will on 15th March so they'll have 3 games in hand over us by then.Dont know whether its a good thing or not.

If we win our games it's definitely a good thing. Puts more pressure on them to get their results.

If we win our games it's definitely a good thing. Puts more pressure on them to get their results.

Should also point out that City could drop to 4th even if Liverpool win their game when City aren't playing. Pressure might well increase even more then especially also when Spurs could be lurking closely behind in 5th.

losing to Barcelona really isn't a blow. I'd rather like to see them advance thorough as it'll make their schedule more hectic.

This. We can see how no European footy is helping Liverpool. They are a real contender to win the league imo even though I think they might just fall short but there is no wonder that SAS are on top form almost every week when they most times have a whole week to recover. Last season they were in Europe and fell of quite short. If City are still in Europe they have several competitions to deal with which might help other clubs like us so while City will be annoyed at going out at the knockout stages it certainly enhances their PL ambitions.

This. We can see how no European footy is helping Liverpool. They are a real contender to win the league imo even though I think they might just fall short but there is no wonder that SAS are on top form almost every week when they most times have a whole week to recover. Last season they were in Europe and fell of quite short. If City are still in Europe they have several competitions to deal with which might help other clubs like us so while City will be annoyed at going out at the knockout stages it certainly enhances their PL ambitions.

Don't feel that Liverpool consider themselves as title contenders. For them a top 3 finish will be as good as a trophy because of the numerous seasons without CL football. Also, it'll help them keep Suarez and perhaps attract some stars in the summer.

They won't pressurise themselves in believing that they can win the league.

Don't feel that Liverpool consider themselves as title contenders. For them a top 3 finish will be as good as a trophy because of the numerous seasons without CL football. Also, it'll help them keep Suarez and perhaps attract some stars in the summer.

They won't pressurise themselves in believing that they can win the league.

Well Mourinho basically says the same thing but I am sure the inner-belief within the camp know what they are capable of and they basically are taking it game by game. Mourinho takes the pressure of or tries to anyway and BR does the same because they are better off without the expectation levels.