Chelsea v Steaua Bucharest

Jase

I'm sick of seeing Dave playing on the left while Ivanovic has acres of space on the right yet never delivers one accurate cross the entire game. I don't know what Jose has against Bertrand, but I really think that he deserves a shot, especially if it means keeping Ivanovic away from the right back position.

Bert was caught in a Coffee house w/ Jose's misses....ok joking

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you know who I'd like to see up front for this game? Schurrle.

I stopped myself from saying it in the match thread but on occasion he looks like a white Henry. He's big, he's fast, he's good off both feet and he can finish. Plus he's never once let us down so why not go with him up front in a not-quite-a-false-nine role?

Cech

Azpi Luiz/Cahill Terry Cole

Lamps Rami

De Bruyne Oscar Hazard

Schurrle

If Luiz is fit then he needs a run out. Cole needs some time on the pitch too. De Bruyne deserves a chance in this game and if he does well then he starts at Palace. Oscar NEEDS to come back, Mata simply hasn't done much in his recent starts. Hazard can have another Sunderland performance and the midfield probably picks itself.

We could drop Cech but I honestly don't know if it'll do much. Schwarzer is good but I'm not sure if he's a good option for the rest of the season. The permutations for Cech's inconsistency will be felt next season when we possibly move on to Courtois.

Only Mour takes such risks and play an auxiliary striker up front when we have 3 fit strikers.

As for your team, Rami needs his rest especially if it's a game with little significance.

Also I'd try de Bruyne in the pivot with Mikel.

Mikel's could set deep between our CB while Kevin can stomp good authority in that more free flowing area of the pitch.

My midfield.

......... De Bruyne.... Mikel......

Willian...... Oscar....... Hazard/Mata

......... Schurrle.......

Oscar is missed.

I know we conceded goals in set-pieces and then mistakes in defense, but he gives such a consistency and stability that it completely takes away the opponent's illusions that they can get something from the match. It's a psychological thing that comes with everything being held well together because of this one player. It's like a hammer on the opponent's confidence, every time he tackles, he holds the ball slowing down things (annoying and tiring the opponent), his distribution is many times obvious and predictable, but it's normally of good quality and once in a while in a match he provides the unexpected splitting pass.

He has to play centered though because he's a waste in the wing.

I'd start him, Willian and Hazard now, give Schürrle a rest, so we can have Schurrle, Oscar and Hazard on the weekend against Crystal.

IMO Mata did absolutely nothing to displace Oscar from the team creatively wise - which is the biggest advantage Mata has over Oscar, I'm not saying he was bad, he wasn't, but I still feel our pivot is less overwhelmed when Oscar plays and even the defenders feel the impact of him in the team... He presses high in the wing and in the middle, so maybe he could be near Azpili in that play that got Stoke a goal (although it seems to have been a foul not called by the clueless referee). He covers the pivot AND the FBs depending on the side he's closer to. Ofc he's no superman and he can't be everywhere and he isn't perfect, but if there's one thing I think we need now and stability and calm, and imo he brings both. I think Oscar holds the team together better and with both Hazard and Schürrle in such good moments, I'd give them more freedom (especially Eden) and count on their pace, takes-on and dribbles, using Oscar to organize and distribute the ball, in addition to his undeniable work-rate.

Then once we're feeling confident again (hopefully before Arse and Pool) Mourinho could think of a way to rotate Mata into the team.

I agree on your points but the only time i enjoyed our play with Oscar was the first 40 minutes of the Hull game. Dunno what it is but Mata brings something extra. Despite losing against Stoke and almost drawing against Sunderland we played beautiful attacking football with Mata. For stability i agree with you at the moment, Oscar is the better choice.

Oscar is missed. I know we conceded goals in set-pieces and then mistakes in defense, but he gives such a consistency and stability that it completely takes away the opponent's illusions that they can get something from the match. It's a psychological thing that comes with everything being held well together because of this one player. It's like a hammer on the opponent's confidence, every time he tackles, he holds the ball slowing down things (annoying and tiring the opponent), his distribution is many times obvious and predictable, but it's normally of good quality and once in a while in a match he provides the unexpected splitting pass.

I disagree.

We shouldn't need Oscar to deter the opposition psychologically, it's just not good enough from the defensive point of view. If the defence performed we would've easily had 6 points in the last 2 games.

We shouldn't need to have to score 3 goals every game to win.

I disagree.

We shouldn't need Oscar to deter the opposition psychologically, it's just not good enough from the defensive point of view. If the defence performed we would've easily had 6 points in the last 2 games.

We shouldn't need to have to score 3 games every game to win.

I agree, but what I mean is that this hammering can help us. We look quite helpless right now defensively, so any improvement will take a bit of the confidence off sides have been showing to attack us.

We shouldn't need it, doesn't mean it doesn't help us given how things are which is why I said once things are stable again, we can rotate Oscar again.

I'm sick of seeing Dave playing on the left while Ivanovic has acres of space on the right yet never delivers one accurate cross the entire game. I don't know what Jose has against Bertrand, but I really think that he deserves a shot, especially if it means keeping Ivanovic away from the right back position.

remember reading somewhere 5/67 crosses completed. he should look to keep the ball and pass it back to the midfielders

Please tell me Schurrle is not injured?

We should know more in Mourinho's presser in a few hours time, taking place at 1pm UK time.

Dan Levene @BluesChronicle 9m

Chelsea v Steaua Bucharest preview day: Jose Mourinho presser, Cobham, 1pm; Laurențiu Reghecampf presser, Stamford Bridge, 6.30pm.

Edited by BluesMaster

Press Conference Notes:

• Ivanovic is with Jose for this one.
  • Ivanovic: 'The last two games were very open games and in that situation you can't always control the match.' #CFC
  • Ivanovic: 'We know how important this game is. To finish top of the group is our first aim in the Champions League.'
  • Jose: 'Steaua have been very important in the group because they took four points from Basel and drew against Schalke.' #CFC
  • Jose joked that he shouldn't say who his favourite Steaua player is because it will be in the papers tomorrow with 'coming to Chelsea' a big price tag.
  • Jose not playing the same team he did in the last match. Some will be rested due to the amount of games. Two or three players rested.
  • Ashley Cole WILL start. No surprises there.
  • Attacking midfield strong area. Rotation there suggested. Kevin De Bruyne getting less chances because of everybody else playing well.
  • Three strikers is the 'perfect number'. All working very well for the team. Number of goals in the prem isn't what he wants. Isn't enough to make him happy and make the players happy.