No.10 Role

Jase

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you sure? i thought he speaks about Oscar and Ramires on the wings. thats what he said:

“One thing is to play with Ramires and Oscar in the side, them closing each flank".

I thought he means he didnt liked to see Ramires and Oscar playing on the wings, what happend last season.

But when he speaks about Oscar as the no 10 that way, it surely means he wont play in the pivot. So... come on KDB? save us?

why would he play Ramires and Oscar in the wings in a squad that has such amazing wingers such us Kevin, André and Willian?

It makes no sense. Also later on he goes on about not moving Oscar to track down FBs

then he also says:

"But only when [Mata] adapts to what we want. I'm not ready to ask Oscar to track opposing full-backs. Brazil has more talented players in the No10 position than any other country in the world, and he plays there for the national team, so I want to build with Oscar as my No10. I want the other two players, from the side, to adapt to that reality and learn how to do things they were not ready to do before.

It could be the wing he's writing off - as you suggested, but the main point he's making repeatedly is that he's building the team around Oscar as a #10. Winger or DM seem out of his plans and thanks God for both. I completely agree with him on both things. Either Oscar is a CAM or he's in the bench

I think this talk of Oscar contributing more defensively should only be a factor against energetic sides like Dortmund where players have to fall back quickly after an attack. against your average pub teams - Mata definitely. Far better in playing the final ball

I don't really get it either. Yes, Mata is not in form, but it is absolutely impossible to gain form by playing out of position and only once every few games. Oscar is a more balanced player but you can see what we're missing from last season without Mata. We simply don't have near the same creativity that we have when Mata is going. Oscar is a more balanced player but is not near the creator that Mata is. I think you can get away with less creativity in the middle if we had real wingers who stretch the defense or someone like Rooney who is a very creative striker, but right now we have the same issue as last year where players just crowd the middle of the pitch so we are too easy to defend against.

Oscar was fantastic against Hull and against Basel but apart from that has been pretty poor so I'm not sure where this "fantastic form" stuff comes from for him. He has 6 total chances created in the Premier League this season which is half of Hazard, the same as Ramires and one more than Lampard despite playing in the position that lends itself to creating the most. (Mata created 2.7 chances a game last season for example. Oscar is at 1.5) He's also gone down from 2.5 tackles a game to 0.8. Whoscored has him as our 8th best player so far and Squawka as our 7th. We've all seen what he's capable of, but he has to improve significantly offensively which is very possible given his age and natural skills.

Totally wrong! Our creativity problem does not come from Oscar, it comes from the wingers!

Oscar is doing a hell of a job as a #10 and there is no reason to bench him, sorry. Mourinho knows we lose a bit of creativity by playing the Brazilian, but what we gain in other areas more than compensate it.

Chelsea is playing bad, but just because Mata is on the bench, people start thinking the problem is at CAM, when there are problems everywhere but in this position.

The Mata we know would not have saved us from losing to Basel, so all that is written there makes no sense....

Oscar was fantastic against Hull and against Basel but apart from that has been pretty poor so I'm not sure where this "fantastic form" stuff comes from for him. He has 6 total chances created in the Premier League this season which is half of Hazard, the same as Ramires and one more than Lampard despite playing in the position that lends itself to creating the most. (Mata created 2.7 chances a game last season for example. Oscar is at 1.5) He's also gone down from 2.5 tackles a game to 0.8. Whoscored has him as our 8th best player so far and Squawka as our 7th. We've all seen what he's capable of, but he has to improve significantly offensively which is very possible given his age and natural skills.

I disagree. He had a good game vs Bayern too, Only time he wasn't effective was against Villa and in the last few mins against Everton. Otherwise he's had a good start to the season. "Fantastic" maybe overstating a bit but he hasn't been as bad as you're making it out to be

I think this talk of Oscar contributing more defensively should only be a factor against energetic sides like Dortmund where players have to fall back quickly after an attack. In most games - Mata definitely. Far better in playing the final ball

Not really, Mata and Oscar are not so far apart in creativity as many think, the difference is that Mata is flashy and Oscar is a classy shy playmaker.

Also, in the stage we are in, any defensive help we may get is highly beneficial (no matter who the opponent is). Hazard has been a ghost lately, Eto'o and Lampard are old Ramires likes to give up some easy possessions. Now, if you add Mata to the mix, we will be basically starting every game 0-1.

What baffles me is that it looks like people in here havent watched our games. Yes we are looking very bad, but if there is one position where we are more than fine (starting position and bench) is at the #10 spot. I dont see any reason to discuss that. Oscar is the guy Mourinho wants to play and he is handling the job quite well, so end of story.

When he gets tired and/or start having a couple of bad games, it will be time for us to put Mata on the game. But for now, our focus should be improving other very worrying areas so we can win games...

Totally wrong! Our creativity problem does not come from Oscar, it comes from the wingers!

Oscar is doing a hell of a job as a #10 and there is no reason to bench him, sorry. Mourinho knows we lose a bit of creativity by playing the Brazilian, but what we gain in other areas more than compensate it.

Chelsea is playing bad, but just because Mata is on the bench, people start thinking the problem is at CAM, when there are problems everywhere but in this position.

The Mata we know would not have saved us from losing to Basel, so all that is written there makes no sense....

There is a reason to bench Oscar, hes created just 6 chances so far this season (0 assists, 6 key passes), which isn't great. Hes playing the #10 role, an offensive role where he needs to create chances/score goals as do Hazard and Schurrle on the wings. Oscar isn't creating, Hazard isn't and Schurrle isn't, we can change it up as we have the options. Mata has been the face of Chelsea FC for the last 2 years, when Oscar can score 15-20 goals a season and set up 15-20 goals a season then he deserves to be the starting #10 at Chelsea. His offensive contribution is poor in comparison to Mata's.

He doesnt want to bother with players he doesnt like. He wants his team to start going towards HIS direction.

Same thing happened in Madrid.

Sergio Canales and Nuri Sahin are two prime examples.

Everything else he might say is more likely than not, horse crap.

He said the same thing when Barca scored 5 against Madrid. His excuse was that Madrid was still a young team. It takes a lot of fail to set up a team for failure like he did in that match.

Mourinho excuses.

canales and sahin were both injured the whole time. really not great examples. canales is still injured...

I do think that it seems Mou doesnt like Mata. I dont know why, but it seems that he doesnt want to involve spanish players? Azpi is sitting on the bench, Mata isnt playing a lot etc. I really hope Mou wakes up and finally motivates Mata. I think atm Mou is destroying him with his dumb comments. today he even freaking indicated that we lost because of Mata against Everton and Basel like wtf? he blamed moyes for not pushing rooney and prasising him and now he is doing the same thing wiht our best player. he seems completely delusional atm and clueless and Im kinda afraid of the future...

if we want to win anything ( i dont think we will btw) we HAVE TO bring back Mata and get him in top-form. he is absolutely our most imporant player in the attack. oscar is playing great too and he will get enough playing-time but Mata has to be our No.1 choice. he is one of the most creative players in the EPL and futhermore his movement and his instinct for the goal is brilliant. he is probably better than any striker we have atm in this aspect.

and I dont see Mata playing as a RW. he is way too slow and to thin to play at this position. as a RW you have to work a lot and run a lot and Mata hasnt got the engine to do it. and futhermore defensively he is awful. cant see him really playing RW. either he is playing CAM or we have to sell him.

Canales was injury free for much of 10/11, was effectively ostracized by mourinho.

Sahin was bought as if mourinho didnt even know who he was buying, all in all his decisions with Nuri rely along the fact that he didnt like the player. Nuri was ostracized completely for almost 5 months.

Same with Mata, look at history, id say theres not much incentive from mou to play mata.

Mourinho talks sht when he doesnt like a player. Has happened with Pepe, Pedro Leon, and Benzema for example.

Also, in the stage we are in, any defensive help we may get is highly beneficial (no matter who the opponent is). Hazard has been a ghost lately, Eto'o and Lampard are old Ramires likes to give up some easy possessions. Now, if you add Mata to the mix, we will be basically starting every game 0-1.

We have 4 goals in 4 games, we should be looking to improve attack instead of focusing on defence.

It's ridiculous to even compare Mata and Oscar when it comes to attacking, because the difference is night and day. Mata is a genius, and one of the best creators in Europe. Oscar? not even close to that level at this moment. Hazard has not been playing well, but if Mata was at his best and playing every game it wouldn't be such a big problem. He carried us for long spells last season when Eden was 'adapting'.

I really can't think of one CAM attribute Oscar is better than Mata at. Except defending of course, and we all know how freaking important that is for a CAM :rolleyes:

Also, i wonder why Mourinho didn't say this during the window, because this isn't anything knew - he just hadn't publicly admitted it.

If he had, Mata could have been sold for a substantial amount and he'd be somewhere else enjoying his football instead of sitting on the bench here while inferior players play - not just Oscar, but whoever else plays at RW is not better than Mata.

For me Mata has never been a no. 10, before his chelsea career he was either a winger or a forward but out of necessity due to the fact that we had no other player in mata's first season and no well adapted player last season to play in that position he made it his own with some very excellent performances in giving assists and scoring goals which i feel he can still offer in wide positions without taking anything out of his game unlike oscar who is a midfielder and definitely not suited in the wings despite doing well in a period of adaptation as a winger for chelsea.

Mata pros.

Goals

Assists

Mata Cons.

He is not a midfielder why should he be No. 10?

Not physical/strong

Poor work rate

Poor defensive duties(in open play and set pieces)

Does not suit expansive football(which is what mourinho wants) because he easily burns out or lack of energy needed for expansive game.

A very good player but not world class - you don't expect him to perform against bayern or barca or brasil(if you like) the best teams in the world

Oscar Pros

Goals

Assists

Work rate

Defensively sound(open play and from set piece)

A better dribbler

Switches play(involves others)

Currently the best no. 10 suited for expansive football(which is what mourinho wants)

World class potential - can perform at any stage against any team.

Greater pedigree being brasil's no.10. First choice over ronaldinho(former world best), Kaka(former world best), hernanes, willian, e.t.c.

Oscar Cons.

He is only 22(still young)

Less goals (for now)

Less assist (for now)

I think oscar will be far better as a footballer than mata in 2 or 3 years time. Mata's qualities can still fit perfectly into our team if he adapts to a wide position which he has played before at valencia and initially at chelsea(esp. under AVB) since all he does is scores and assists, he should be a forward on the wings. There is really no midfielder in mata imho

If Mourinho really intends to use Mata on the wing instead of no. 10 then, tbfh, Mata should just go somewhere his talents are fully appreciated.

Not playing our best player for the past two years in his best position while also adding a bunch of 'no 10. wingers' to the current squad reeks of absolute bullshit to me in all honesty. So does all the subtle blame he's putting on Juan's shoulders for the defeat. I don't know why Mata should be punished because we have such a shitty pivot that we need the ATTACKING-midfielder to defend so much.

I'd love for Juan to get back to his best a.s.a.p. just so he can remind some people of what he's capable of, but sadly it doesn't look like he'll get a proper chance as CAM at this rate.

I also think this has turned into more of a debate because José is now the manager and some are afraid to question him.

Not really, Mata and Oscar are not so far apart in creativity as many think, the difference is that Mata is flashy and Oscar is a classy shy playmaker.

Sorry mate, but i'll just come right out and say it: Brazilian bias.

There is a reason why Mata had more chances created, assists and goals than Oscar last season. There's also a reason why Oscar has always performed better in Europe; and that is because he needs more space and time on the ball.

For me Mata has never been a no. 10, before his chelsea career he was either a winger or a forward but out of necessity due to the fact that we had no other player in mata's first season and no well adapted player last season to play in that position he made it his own with some very excellent performances in giving assists and scoring goals which i feel he can still offer in wide positions without taking anything out of his game unlike oscar who is a midfielder and definitely not suited in the wings despite doing well in a period of adaptation as a winger for chelsea.

Mata pros.

Goals

Assists

Mata Cons.

He is not a midfielder why should he be No. 10?

Not physical/strong

Poor work rate

Poor defensive duties(in open play and set pieces)

Does not suit expansive football(which is what mourinho wants) because he easily burns out or lack of energy needed for expansive game.

A very good player but not world class - you don't expect him to perform against bayern or barca or brasil(if you like) the best teams in the world

Oscar Pros

Goals

Assists

Work rate

Defensively sound(open play and from set piece)

A better dribbler

Switches play(involves others)

Currently the best no. 10 suited for expansive football(which is what mourinho wants)

World class potential - can perform at any stage against any team.

Oscar Cons.

He is only 22(still young)

Less goals (for now)

Less assist (for now)

I think oscar will be far better as a footballer than mata in 2 or 3 years time. Mata's qualities can still fit perfectly into our team if he adapts to a wide position which he has played before at valencia and initially at chelsea

Mata was used as a number 10 by Di Matteo so he can influence the game more and so he didn't have to do as much defensive work as in comparison to what he'd have to do on the wing. In Spain it is easier to play as a winger due to the slower tempo of the football in comparison to the English game.

Mata is a mile ahead of Oscar in terms of their offensive contributions; final pass quality, assists and goals. Mourinho can get Mata to drop deeper to receive the ball from the pivot, link play better or work a bit harder on the defensive side of his game quite quickly but on the other hand he cannot get Oscar to jump in a time machine and be 24, 25 or 26 so he is better than Mata.

World class is thrown around too easily these days, Mata isn't world class but neither is Oscar and I doubt he has the potential to be world class. He will be a very good player but the term world class is for players like Ronaldo or Messi or Iniesta..