No.10 Role

Jase

If Mourinho really intends to use Mata on the wing instead of no. 10 then, tbfh, Mata should go somewhere his talents are fully appreciated.

Not playing our best player for the past two years in his best position while also adding a bunch of 'no 10. wingers' to the current squad reeks of absolute bullshit to me in all honesty. So does all the subtle blame he's putting on Juan's shoulders for the defeats. I don't know why Mata should be punished because we have such a shitty pivot that we need the ATTACKING-midfielder to defend so much.

I love for Juan to get back to his best a.s.a.p. just so he can remind some people of what he's capable of, but sadly it doesn't look like he'll get a proper chance as CAM at this rate.

I also think this has turned into more of a debate because José is now the manager and some are afraid to question him.

Exactly, we had the whole transfer window to buy a new pivot player (e.g. Witsel)...but instead, we decided to buy another attacking midfielder for 30 million.

Mata's ability to create chances is far superior to Oscar. Mata can get you 15+ goals and 25+ assists a season...i'm not sure if Oscar is capable of doing that just yet.

If Mourinho really doesn't appreciate Mata's talents...then he should be sold.

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look at Ozil, Cazorla, Silva, Coutinho. None of them have to do any extraordinary defensive duty, i can understand when you pick Oscar over Mata against Bayern, but we won't play Bayern every week. We should be dominating possession most games, getting the ball to Mata for him to create chances for others. Sigh.

Not really, Mata and Oscar are not so far apart in creativity as many think, the difference is that Mata is flashy and Oscar is a classy shy playmaker.

Also, in the stage we are in, any defensive help we may get is highly beneficial (no matter who the opponent is). Hazard has been a ghost lately, Eto'o and Lampard are old Ramires likes to give up some easy possessions. Now, if you add Mata to the mix, we will be basically starting every game 0-1.

This. I agree with but Mata is the better playmaker than Oscar. Not even close for me. Final-ball wise, Mata is better.

With a balanced midfield, I'd take Mata over Oscar.

Look at Ozil, Cazorla, Silva, Coutinho. None of them have to do any extraordinary defensive duty, i can understand when you pick Oscar over Mata against Bayern, but we won't play Bayern every week. We should be dominating possession most games, getting the ball to Mata for him to create chances for others. Sigh.

Not just that though, if Mourinho wants to play counter-attack for games like Bayern or away games (e.g. United, Everton) then play Oscar, sure. But if we're at home we should be dominating possession and take the game by the scruff of the neck (e.g. Basel). Mourinho could have both a counter-attacking 3 like Willian-Oscar-Schurrle and a possession based 3 like Hazard-Mata-De Bruyne instead of chopping and changing all of the attacking-mids so much that they never really generate any form of chemistry. I think even doing something like that would satisfy a lot of people.

I think the fact that we really haven't got any form of identity as a team yet is really messing with us. We look great counter-attacking against Bayern but when we have the ball for the majority of the game we are not as fluent in the final third compared to when Mata was at his best.

There is a reason to bench Oscar, hes created just 6 chances so far this season (0 assists, 6 key passes), which isn't great. Hes playing the #10 role, an offensive role where he needs to create chances/score goals as do Hazard and Schurrle on the wings. Oscar isn't creating, Hazard isn't and Schurrle isn't, we can change it up as we have the options. Mata has been the face of Chelsea FC for the last 2 years, when Oscar can score 15-20 goals a season and set up 15-20 goals a season then he deserves to be the starting #10 at Chelsea. His offensive contribution is poor in comparison to Mata's.

Going by your logic of statistics Ozil is better than fabregas, iniesta, ronaldinho and zidane. Is play making only about goals and assists? I don't think so as it also involves ball distribution, keeping a good midfield shape by filling up spaces, orchestrating the tempo in midfield, abilities which oscar has and mata doesn't. People talk like oscar doesn't get goals or assists he actually does and if hazard, our wingers and strikers start scoring enough we would be a far better team than depending on mata who isn't even world class and despite his high potency in final third our strikers still don't score enough goals. A no. 10 is usually a midfielder something mata has never been in his life hence our inability to dominate big games, mata's creativity is only in the final third but oscar's creativity starts deep from midfield with his intelligence, interplay and movement (midfield orchestration which he is still developing) as well as the final third and may be that is why oscar doesn't get as much goals as mata who plays no. 10 only like a forward rather than a midfielder. What oscar does in midfield can lead to a lot of positive things than mata can ever bring into our team if we really want to play expansive football rather than direct football which suites mata more.

Bottom line Oscar brings so much more to our team than mata ever will and still be creative enough

hull city - 2 goals

villa - 2 goals

united - 0 goals

everton - 0 goals

4 goals in 4 matches. u dont win matches without scoring goals and its not like we have kept 4 clean sheets in those four matches due to oscar's defensive prowess, right?

we want to play a possession based brand of football. who is the best player in making us capable in doing so - JUAN MATA. is he perfect? hell no. but he is the best we have got. we will have to sacrifice somewhere and i would rather that it be with us trying to score goals rather than looking at a player's defensive contribution.

also pro and cons list is very poor idea to compare these 2. if u actually want to compare then bring out the stats, the goals scored and assisted, chances made per match, crucial matches per match etc etc... that would give a much clearer picture of who should be our first priority. otherwise u can just watch chelsea playing with mata and without mata, and u will know the difference that mata creates in the team. he is the soul of the team and the most important player.

Mata was used as a number 10 by Di Matteo so he can influence the game more and so he didn't have to do as much defensive work as in comparison to what he'd have to do on the wing. In Spain it is easier to play as a winger due to the slower tempo of the football in comparison to the English game.

Mata is a mile ahead of Oscar in terms of their offensive contributions; final pass quality, assists and goals. Mourinho can get Mata to drop deeper to receive the ball from the pivot, link play better or work a bit harder on the defensive side of his game quite quickly but on the other hand he cannot get Oscar to jump in a time machine and be 24, 25 or 26 so he is better than Mata.

World class is thrown around too easily these days, Mata isn't world class but neither is Oscar and I doubt he has the potential to be world class. He will be a very good player but the term world class is for players like Ronaldo or Messi or Iniesta..

I have only two questions for you.

Are ronaldinho and kaka world class?

Is mata a midfielder?

Mourinho's reign starts by him alienating our best player?! I'm sorry but this all is gonna end in tears.

Whats funny was that it was all smiles and laughs when folks thought he was gonna alienate Mikel.

Feelings get raw when their favorite player is on the bench right next to him :D

Trust in Mou. If He believes Oscar at 10 is the best for what he is implementing, then I am riding with him....for now.

Mata is not bigger than CFC either mate.

I know that but Mata has earned his place in the team buy scoring 20 goals last season and giving 30 assists, he has not played himself out of the team and also the reason we are lacking creativity is simple his not in the team

I know that but Mata has earned his place in the team buy scoring 20 goals last season and giving 30 assists, he has not played himself out of the team and also the reason we are lacking creativity is simple his not in the team

That was last season. He has not played himself IN to this team. We are a completely different team than last year.

WorkRateWorkRateWorkRate... For God's sake! People keep repeating it like it were the magical secret of the Beautiful Game. And they are playmakers! I would take talent over anything at any time. Brazil is having this fucking crisis for the lack of CAMs, problem that started with people preferring height over technique,

strength rather than creativite... And now this even in Europe. Ok defense is important, but not as much to give that much advantage to the key player of the midfield. Pep even played Bayern with schweinsteiger, THIAGO and Kross. THIAGO coming from behind dammit. THIAGO. Ok, we have a differnt team, other style and all, they may not play that way in dangerous matchs, but we have people here speaking about workrate over talent on the player that must orchestrate plays, do the rhythm of the game and hold possession. Like it were the most important thing. By this logic we wouldn't play Ronaldinho Gaucho(at his best) for his lack of pressing, he does not place well in our Team. LOL. Why can't we have one player to not be responsible for defense?
Again, as obvious by my avatar i like Oscar. But he is not absolute over Mata at CAM, he is not ready, at least for now and for me. Hell i even think that he shoudn't play as a no10 as i said before... For now i keep my idea that he is a DLP. Also, good to say that i'm not thinking that i'm the senior of truth and i may change my mind and believe in others truth's later.

For the brazilians users: Desculpa amigos, esse rage com a pressão deve ser por passar o tempo todo vendo o Tite fazer todos os jogadores, do Gil até o Pato, Guerrero, Douclas e Romarinho... Voltando até a linha de fundo a todo momento! PQP não aguento mais essa porra! hahahahaaa