Samuel Eto'o

nadavTKL

On a 12- or 24-month-long deal, this is brilliant business, as far as I'm concerned.

• Torres is largely useless.
  • Ba is still relatively new at the club, but has shown little more than glimpses of his talent.
  • Lukaku is inexperienced - but signing Eto'o wouldn't restrict him game-time as much as signing Cavani or Rooney would have.
  • Schurrle and Moses are unproven as a CF at EPL level.
  • Eto'o is an absolutely brilliant finisher - no-one can say he isn't an improvement on Ba and Torres.

It's low-risk because it will be a short-term contract. Yes, we don't buy many older players anymore - but simply going out and purchasing for the future doesn't necessarily work. Sometimes you have to invest in the immediate future, and if we are to miss out on Rooney, at least we have a fourth striker who will still score you 15 goals a season.

Fuck his wages, they don't matter. I don't see how people can be against Eto'o arriving on a short-term deal, and yet people are willing to acknowledge a five-year contract for Rooney at £220,000-a-week (or whatever he's on at United). Madness.

Buying only for the long-term - Hazard, Lukaku, KdB, Mata, Oscar, MvG, Azpilicueta, Courtois, Moses, Piazon et al. - doesn't work. Arsenal have proven that. You have to substantiate those players by signing experienced heads. Having that core of older heads in the team (Cech-Cole-Terry-Essien-Lampard-Eto'o) could be league-title winning. The older players are the ones that make the difference in the really big games: that's where your Cechs, your Lampards, and your Drogbas did their damage.

I'd support this signing big time - as contingency signings go, this is a decent one. And it might even mean we flog Torres or Ba. Two birds, one stone.

On a 12- or 24-month-long deal, this is brilliant business, as far as I'm concerned.

• Ba is still relatively new at the club, but has shown little more than glimpses of his talent.
  • Lukaku is inexperienced - but signing Eto'o wouldn't restrict him game-time as much as signing Cavani or Rooney would have.
  • Eto'o is an absolutely brilliant finisher - no-one can say he isn't an improvement on Ba and Torres.

It's low-risk because it will be a short-term contract. Yes, we don't buy many older players anymore - but simply going out and purchasing for the future doesn't necessarily work. Sometimes you have to invest in the immediate future, and if we are to miss out on Rooney, at least we have a fourth striker who will still score you 15 goals a season.

Fuck his wages, they don't matter. I don't see how people can be against Eto'o arriving on a short-term deal, and yet people are willing to acknowledge a five-year contract for Rooney at £220,000-a-week (or whatever he's on at United). Madness.

Buying only for the long-term - Hazard, Lukaku, KdB, Mata, Oscar, MvG, Azpilicueta, Courtois, Moses, Piazon et al. - doesn't work. Arsenal have proven that. You have to substantiate those players by signing experienced heads. Having that core of older heads in the team (Cech-Cole-Terry-Essien-Lampard-Eto'o) could be league-title winning. The older players are the ones that make the difference in the really big games: that's where your Cechs, your Lampards, and your Drogbas did their damage.

I'd support this signing big time - as contingency signings go, this is a decent one. And it might even mean we flog Torres or Ba. Two birds, one stone.

Signing Falcao/Cavani/Rooney/Eto'o is not long term, that is what separated us from Arsenal. We also go for super stars as well as young promising players. Also I don't understand how people are complaining about transfer fee all the time yet doesn't complain about wages?

Cavani costs £54m and a lot of people were against that signing, so now even at £300k per week Eto'o is cheap compare to him? Btw his agent just came out and said he is NOT WILLING to drop his wages. Obviously it is low risk, he is 34 years old and hardly any team can afford his wages anymore and we can let him go anytime soon.

Spon on, except the wages part - he needs to drop his wages by 1/3(100k-ish) to be a safe signing.

The current argument thrown around against what seems to be every striker who either fails with us or ends up being linked with us is always that their game has 'always relied on pace'.

Can we move on now and have a new point?

I doubt Eto'o has won 2 trebles relying on just his pace, otherwise we should fret as Walcott will probably win the Champions League and if not him then Lennon at some point. At least following this logic of; Pace = Success, Less Pace = No Success; we can see that Kiwomya will be amongst the best players in the world one day. Actually forget all this Rooney and Eto'o talk, let's sign Agbonlahor!!! PACE IS EVERYTHING TO A PLAYER!!

But seriously, this 'argument' of 'he no longer has pace' seems to be thrown around by people who later confess they've barely, if even at all, seen him play since his Inter days.

It's easy to look at a player who no longer grabs the local headlines, see that he's aged a few years and thus conclude he no longer has electric pace. I'm sure we've all done something similar at some point when we've wanted to enter the discussion of a player.

He's still one of the fastest strikers on the planet. Just watch an actual game of his for god sake.

As for the 'HE WOULD NEED TO DROP HIS WAGE DEMANDS' thing, I won't even go into that. It's common knowledge and doesn't need to be repeated every single page. We're not run by complete idiots who don't understand finance. They're not going to pay anything we can't afford.

The current argument thrown around against what seems to be every striker who either fails with us or ends up being linked with us is always that their game has 'always relied on pace'.

I doubt Eto'o has won 2 trebles relying on just his pace, otherwise we should fret as Walcott will probably win the Champions League and if not him then Lennon at some point. At least following this logic of; Pace = Success, Less Pace = No Success; we can see that Kiwomya will be amongst the best players in the world one day. Actually forget all this Rooney and Eto'o talk, let's sign Agbonlahor!!! PACE IS EVERYTHING TO A PLAYER!!

But seriously, this 'argument' of 'he no longer has pace' seems to be thrown around by people who later confess they've barely, if even at all, seen him play since his Inter days.

It's easy to look at a player who no longer grabs the local headlines, see that he's aged a few years and thus conclude he no longer has electric pace. I'm sure we've all done something similar at some point when we've wanted to enter the discussion of a player.

He's still one of the fastest strikers on the planet. Just watch an actual game of his for god sake.

As for the 'HE WOULD NEED TO DROP HIS WAGE DEMANDS' thing, I won't even go into that. It's common knowledge and doesn't need to be repeated every single page. We're not run by complete idiots who don't understand finance. They're not going to pay anything we can't afford.

no he is not fast . i have seen a lot of Anzhi games and he is not even close to be "one of the fastest strikers in the world"- either you are speeding the games up, you are watching or you havent watched any games of Etoo since he joined Anzhi.

his inter days? you do realize, that his Inter days already passed 2 years ago? he is nowhere near this level he has been and he surely aint that fast anymore.

Pace is surely not everything, but it depends on the player. one of the main things WHY he was so succesful at Barca was because of his unbelievable pace. and nobody can deny that. of course he has also a strong technique and is a really good finisher, but pace was one of his main attributes. I mean he is no Ronaldo (R9), who even with 90 kilos could still get past players with bis brillant technique. he surely has a better technique than ba, torres and Lukaku though.

He hasnt played no competitive football for 2 years now. would join a new league, a very dynamic and physical league, without pre-season etc etc. Transfer would just be awful, even if we get him for free and not on so high wages. He is past his prime and no Mourinho is no magician who can fix every player in this world.

Once you lose a vital part of you, you lose just about everything with it.

Why are you taking a little bit out of my post and just implying i meant that. Have a bit of common sense yeah?

Look at Torres, lost his pace and lost just about everything with it, he can't even finish now.

How can you even compare Torres to Eto? do you think winning the treble in two different leagues is nothing? Drog had his best years at age 32. Torres is washed out at 28.

Signing Falcao/Cavani/Rooney/Eto'o is not long term, that is what separated us from Arsenal. We also go for super stars as well as young promising players. Also I don't understand how people are complaining about transfer fee all the time yet doesn't complain about wages?

Cavani costs £54m and a lot of people were against that signing, so now even at £300k per week Eto'o is cheap compare to him? Btw his agent just came out and said he is NOT WILLING to drop his wages. Obviously it is low risk, he is 34 years old and hardly any team can afford his wages anymore and we can let him go anytime soon.

Hes 32

Because Rooney would seem to fit our team as a player who can lead the line. I haven't watched Eto'o as much as some people but the reports suggest he has lost some of that pace that made him such a danger - was it his only weapon? Of course not. I'm sure there are strikers who lose their pace and still score 20-odd goals a season. Can't think of one off the top of my head, but I'm sure someone could oblige.

With Rooney's contract you also have to factor in his marketability which has been proven over numerous years - were you watching Anzhi matches purely because of the lure of seeing a 31 year old Samuel Eto'o who decided to play in the Russian league rather than compete at the highest level of football?

Did he leave for Anzhi purely because of the money or because he didn't have that hunger anymore? Maybe he felt he couldn't do it at the top level anymore? Which of those reasons makes him more appealing as a signing for a club with our aspirations?

Rooney earns a boatload of money playing second fiddle to Van Persie and he wants to leave because he wants to play football week-in and week-out. Eto'o earns a boatload of money playing in a nothing league and he would be happy continuing doing so except the money seems to be drying up, so all of a sudden he's got his hunger back???

So your rebuke to the argument isn't a counter-argument, but a high-pitched whining 'I don't like this argument'.

Try and refute it, but don't just bitch about it. It's a fair point that Eto'o's pace and explosiveness made him such a danger and there are reports from people who are familiar with his time in Anzhi that he has lost some of it - Shock fucking horror, a player is losing some of their pace as they get older.

Now if you disagree with that, then that's fine. That's called a discussion. But arguing that it's not a fair point is fucking pointless.

I honestly do not feel Eto´o is the answer. At 32, playing in that shitty league, I believe he should be considered as past his prime.

To spend 5m & pay his wages at least of 120 thou a week, just might not be worth it. Also, I am certain he won´t sign for much less & for a short term only.

Why can´t Chelsea just play with Torres, Ba & Lukaku for now ?

Come January if needed, the club may buy another striker, then.

Torres had the team built around him at L'pool...his flaws were covered up, he just looked great in that team.

Then he had that injury, lost his pace & confidence and became an average player with no clinical finishing ability.

Eto'o still has a pretty good skill-set. For 5 million, we could do alot worse than bring in Eto'o for a season..

So does Torres, but look at him?

I don't even get what Eto'o has done at Anzhi, not to mention it's the fucking Russian league where talking about here.

How can you even compare Torres to Eto? do you think winning the treble in two different leagues is nothing? Drog had his best years at age 32. Torres is washed out at 28.

Yeah because Drogbas vital part of his game was pace wasn't it?

You think when Theo Walcott hits 30 he's going to be good? There's loads of good players what where known to be very fast, once they reach there early 30's, it's troubling for them. The likes of Van Persie and Drogba don't rely on pace and never have, they will be able to do well in there 30's.